Junior A / Division 4

Junior Men / Div. 4 Contact for 2022

Junior Team Management for 2022

The Garrycastle junior team will be managed in 2022 by Graeme Corcoran (contact on club number 087 9893784).

Denis will be assisted by Eddie Naughton (Selector) and Richie Murray (Selector).


ACFL Div.4 Champions 2022

Garrycastle 1-11, The Downs 0-12 (Sunday July 3rd)

The rescheduled Division 4 final was held on Sunday in TEG Cusack Park against The Downs. A minute’s silence was observed before the start as a mark of respect for recently departed Enda Mulvihill. As a tribute the number 7 jersey was not worn and will be retired for the 2022 adult championship. Playing against the breeze, Garrycastle got off to a dream start with an early goal from Conor McKiernan and sustained the lead into the break. Despite a closely fought second half the lads kept the scoreboard ticking over to claim the title. Captain Anthony Larkin was presented with the trophy and he thanked the lads and the management team and dedicated the win to the late Enda Mulvihill.
Shane Moran, Anthony Larkin, Fergal Mc Kiernan, Cathal Redmond, Gary Mullery, Fergal O' Reilly, Neal Rattigan, Johnny McGuire, Conor McKiernan, Enda Keena, Ciaran O'Neill, Ben Donegan, Conor Cosgrove, Ger Heneghan, Brian Ruane
Subs: John O'Shea Sharkey, Patrick McKiernan, Shane McEnery, Sean Carey, Cillian Lyons.
Rest of Panel: Peadar Mulvihill, Andrew Ruane, Eric Kearney, Daniel Guinan, Kenny Dolan, Cathal Mannion, Adam Keena, Michael Greene, Sean Doak.


Division 3

In 2019, the Junior A team will be managed by Francis Doolin, with Richie Murray as Selector.

All-County League Division 3

Garrycastle will kick-off their Division 3 campaign, away to Mullingar Shamrocks in Springfield on March 3rd, at 11:30am.

All-County League Division 3

Division 3 for 2019 is comprised of Athlone, Bunbrosna, Garrycastle, Kilbeggan Shamrocks, Killucan, Moate All-Whites, Mullingar Shamrocks, Multyfarnham, St. Lomans Mullingar and St. Malachys.

The match schedule is as follows (but please check the fixtures page in case of change).

Fixtures :


  1. March 3: Mullingar Shamrocks 1-09, Garrycastle 2-06.

  2. March 9: Garrycastle 1-08, Killucan 1-10.

  3. March 22: St. Lomans Mullingar 5-13, Garrycastle 1-12.

  4. March 31: Garrycastle 0-10, Bunbrosna 2-10.

  5. April 14: Match vs St. Malachys Postponed - will be refixed

  6. April 26: Garrycastle 0-08, Multyfarnham 1-13

League Table:

The current league table and all match results may be found on the Westmeath GAA website.


Junior Championship 1993 - 25th Anniversary Celebration

Garrycastle won the club’s second Junior championship title in 1993, defeating Ballinagore after a replay in Pairc Chiarain. The panel of players recently got together to celebrate the 25th anniversary of that famous win. The day began with a game of golf in Mount Temple, after which everyone adjourned to the Dog & Duck in Ballykeeran, where the 1993 victory had been celebrated. Dan’s Tavern, which opened its doors in 1994, was the next port of call where the players, wives and partners were joined by several other club enthusiasts. Old friendships were renewed and incidents on and off the field were recalled over the next few hours. Players had travelled from counties such as Wicklow, Sligo, Kildare and several parts of Roscommon. Donal Ryan journeyed all the way from Durban, South Africa and then decided he may as well hang around for his brother Ciaran’s wedding the following weekend.

The occasion was not without a touch of sadness as the players remembered their great friend and colleague Alan Reidy whose untimely death took place in May 2017. Apart from his consistently excellent performances as goalkeeper, Alan assisted the club in many other ways and was one of the most popular members of the team. The club was delighted to welcome Alan’s wife Marguerite, who had travelled from Cork and her daughter Amy who travelled from London, along with other family members. The Alan Reidy Perpetual Trophy, kindly sponsored by Dunnes Stores, was presented to the winning golf team (Redmond Murphy, Michael Gantley and Enda Nugent) by Club chairman Mick Mannion, who also presented a special memento and a framed photograph of the 1993 team to Marguerite Reidy. Marguerite’s daughter Amy thanked the club for the invitation and for the presentations. Other speakers on the night were team captain Redmond Murphy, team manager Michael Lydon, the 1993 chairman Michael Gantley and 1993 secretary Dermot Ryan. The celebrations continued well into the night with everyone vowing not to wait another 25 years for the next get-together.

For the record, the 1993 team was: Alan Reidy, David Dalton, Martin Jameson, Michael Mulvihill, Joe Dunning, Redmond Murphy (captain), Ollie Nicholson, Ciaran Ryan, Garry Sammon, Jamie Murtagh, Stephen O’Reilly, Donal Ryan, Rowan Mulvihill, Mick Brennan, Fergal Nugent, Subs: Jim McHugh, Paddy Redmond, Mick Mannion, Anthony Fox, Gerry Duignan, Padraig O’Connor, Richie Murray, Diarmuid O’Cluaid, Mickey McCormack, Shane Kenny, Don Kiernan, Donal O’Leary.

Junior Championship Draw 2018

Garrycastle have been drawn in Group 3 of the Junior Football Championship in 2018. The other teams in the group are:- Tyrrellspass, Athlone, Rosemount, Tubberclair and Caulry.


(See "archives" for match reports from 2012 to present)

ALL COUNTY LEAGUE (Division 3 - 23/9/2012)


Garrycastle continued their push for division 3 league honours with a well merited win in Tyrrellspass last Sunday morning. Garrycastle made a bright start and had registered 3 points within the first 11 minutes with their scores coming from Eoin Monaghan, Conor Cosgrove and Noel Galvin. However, the home side hit back strongly and a slick attack in the 15th minute raised a green flag to level matters. The sides exchanged points, with the home side converting a free and Eoin Monaghan pointing from play. Garrycastle went into the lead again with a well taken point from Ciaran O’Neill in the 19th minute only for Tyrrellspass to jump ahead with a second goal in the 21st minute. It got better for the home side this was followed-up with a point to put them into a strong lead as the half time break approached. Points from James Duignan and Ciaran O’Neill in the final minute of the half reduced the margin to two points at the break on a scoreline of 2-3 to 0-7.

Garrycastle again made the better start on the resumption of play and a goal from James Duignan within the first minute put them into a lead they would never relinquish. Points from Conor Cosgrove and one from a free by James Duignan extended their advantage. A point from substitute, Alex Gardiner at the mid point of the second half had his side four points to the good. Garrycastle goalkeeper, Padraig Cosgrove, made an important save to deny Tyrrellspass a goal and Eoin Monaghan followed up with a point from play. A second goal by James Duignan put his side into a good lead and a good Garrycastle attack saw Alex Gardiner shoot for goal, however, his effort was well saved but Eoin Monaghan was on hand to put the rebound into the net. Tyrrellspass had their first score of the second half in the 50th minute but Matthew Guiheen replied for Garrycastle with a good point after a surging run. The home side had a goal after a good attack. Alex Gardiner pointed for Garrycastle from a 45 and Tyrrellspass had the last score, a point from a free, in the 57th minute.

Garrycastle will be happy with the win but did not play too well in the first half. The second half was better and yielded some good scores. Gary McCallon, Robbie Fox and John O’Shaughnessy were best in defence. Aidan Browne had a fine game and was well supported by Matthew Guiheen. James Duignan, Ciaran O’Neil and Eoin Monaghan as well as Alex Gardiner, when introduced, impressed in attack.

GARRYCASTLE: Padraig Cosgove, Gary Mullery, Alan Fox, Gary McCallon, Robbie Fox, John O’Shaughnessy, Anthony Larkin, Aidan Browne, Matthew Guiheen (0-1), Peadar Mulvihill, James Duignan (2-2, 0-1f), Ciaran O’Neill (0-2), Eoin Monaghan (103), Conor Cosgrove (0-2) and Noel Galvin (0-1).

SUBS: Neil Rattigan for G Mullery (inj, 25 min); Alex Gardiner (0-2, 0-1 45m) for Peadar Mulvihill (41 min); Sean Carey for A Larkin (52 min) and Paul Mulvihill for N Galvin (55 min).

ACFL Div 3: P 7; W 7; D 0; L 0; Pts 14


SHANDONAGH 1-13 GARRYCASTLE 2-7 (after extra time)

A brave and committed performance by Garrycastle in Ballymore last Saturday wasn’t enough to retain their Intermediate status. Right from the start Garrycastle took the game to their physically stronger opponents and two well-taken goals by Alex Gardiner (both set up by Padraig Cosgrove) gave them a lead of 2-2 to 0-4 at half time. With the wind in their favour Shandonagh had most of the second half play, aided by the fact that Garrycastle had been reduced to 14 men just before half time. Garrycastle’s defence was resolute and kept their team in front until the last few minutes. Eventually Shandonagh took the lead but a magnificent pointed free from 45 metres by Alex Gardiner brought the game to extra time. The sides were still deadlocked in extra time until Shandonagh scored the winning goal with two minutes left, as darkness descended. Even then Garrycastle didn’t give up and almost got the equaliser in the final seconds.

On an evening when every Garrycastle player was heroic there were particularly outstanding displays from Gary Mullery, Conor Harrington, John Murphy, Donovan Hermbusche, Matthew Guiheen, Noel Galvin and Alex Gardiner.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane O’Connell, Gary Mullery, Conor Harrington, John Murphy, Sean Carey, Donovan Hermbusche, Jack Donohue, Anthony Larkin, Matthew Guiheen (0-1), Brian Carty, Peadar Mulvihill, Alex Gardiner (2-4), Noel Galvin, Padraig Cosgrove, Paul Mulvihill (0-1).

SUBS: Damien Rushe, Michael Monaghan (0-1),Paul Gunning, Pascal Dillon, Mark Keenan.

ALL COUNTY LEAGUE (Division 3 - 26 August 2012)


Both sides came into this game with 100% league records, Ballynacargy with 8 wins from 8 and Garrycastle with 5 from 5. So the winner of this game played in Garrycastle was going to hold a big advantage in the chase for league honours.

Garrycastle had a bright start with a point on the board after 90 seconds when Conor Cosgrove pointed a close range free. However, Ballynacargy settled and began to hold the advantage in the centre. The visitors rattled off four points, all of which came from play, to take a good lead by the 7th minute. A pointed free by James Duignan reduced the margin almost immediately. The sides exchanged points, with Garrycastle’s coming from Robbie Fox, who ventured forward in support. Sean Brennan made a fine save in the Garrycastle goal to prevent a goal or Ballynacargy, but the visitors continued to dominate possession and struck over 3 more points to lead by five points after 20 minutes of play. It got even better for the visitors when a slick attack opened up the Garrycastle defence and a goal ensued in the 22nd minute. Robbie Fox responded by scoring a point for Garrycastle but further points for Ballynacargy in the next couple of attacks stretched the lead to 7 points as the half time break approached. Garrycastle had a decent period of possession and points from Ciaran O’Neill and James Duignan reduced the margin. Alan Daly was very unlucky when his fisted effort bounced back into safety off the visitor’s crossbar. However, the same player had the final score of the period with a point in the first minute of injury time to leave the scoreline 1-10 to 0-7 in Ballynacargy’s favour.

Garrycastle resumed in determined fashion and a goal by James Duignan in the very first minute of the half reduced the gap to just 3 points. Ballynacargy responded with a point to move the lead out to 4 in the 33rd minute. However, that was a signal for Garrycastle’s best period of the game. Aidan Browne began to exert a huge influence in the centre and a good supply to the forwards was to follow. Points from Ciaran O’Neill, Alan Daly and Conor Cosgrove left just 1 point between the sides. A fine point from Aidan Brown levelled matters and Eoin Monaghan had a point in the 42nd minute to put his side into the lead for the first time since the early part of the game. Ballynacargy responded in fine style and levelled matters with their next attack. Two excellent points from Conor Cosgrove put Garrycastle in front again and this was augmented by a pointed free from James Duignan. A point from Aidan Browne put his side four points to the good in the 52nd minute. Both sides were reduced to 14 as the game entered its final period. Ballynacargy pressed forward looking for a goal but resolute defending kept them out. They did have a point in the 59th minute to leave just 3 points between the sides, but try as the may they could not get the scores needed to save the game. The final score was 1-16 to 1-13 in Garrycastle favour.

This was a good win for Garrycastle who put in a great performance in the second period. Sean Brennan was solid in goal and there were fine defensive performances from Jack Donoghue and Robbie Fox. Aidan Browne made a big difference on his introduction in midfield. James Duignan, Conor Cosgrove, Alan Daly and Eoin Monaghan caused a lot of discomfort for the visitor’s defence, particularly in the second period.

GARRYCASTLE: Sean Brennan, Gary Mullery, Alan Fox, Jack Donoghue, Anthony Larkin, John O’Shaughnessy, Robbie Fox (0-2), Justin Barrett, Ciaran O’Neill (0-2), Noel Galvin, James Duignan (1-3, 0-2f), Johnny McGuire, Conor Cosgrove (0-4, 0-1f), Alan Daly (0-2) and Eoin Monaghan(0-1).

SUBS: Aidan Browne (0-2) for N Galvin (24 min); Peadar Mulvihill for A Larkin (half time) and Matthew Guiheen for J McGuire (50 min).



A brave display by this young Garrycastle team wasn’t enough to prevent Tubberclair from amassing a winning total sufficient to secure a quarter final place in Ballymore last Saturday. Garrycastle started well and matched their opponents throughout the first quarter. A well-taken goal by Padraig Cosgrove following a quickly –taken free by Alan Daly gave Garrycastle the lead but a two goal burst after 20 minutes swung the game in Tubberclair’s favour. Garrycastle continued to battle all through the second half and were rewarded with an Alan Daly goal after a good delivery by Robbie Fox. Another goal from Tubberclair from a penalty kept them in control and their lead was never seriously threatened in the second half.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane O’Connell, Gary Mullery, John Murphy, Jack Donohue, Conor Harrington, Robbie Fox, Sean Carey, Noel Galvin, Conor Molloy, Brian Carty, Padraig Cosgrove (1-0), Alex Gardiner (0-2, frees), Matthew Guiheen (0-1), Paul Mulvihill (0-1).

SUBS: Paul Gunning for Galvin; Michael Monaghan for Gardiner; Donovan Hermbusche for Molloy; Pascal Dillon for Carty.

PS: Following the final round of games, Garrycastle have finished bottom of Group 1 and will play Shandonagh in a relegation match. The dates, time and venues TBC.

IFC (Group 1): P 5; W 0; D 0; L 5; Pts 0



Garrycastle’s intermediate team suffered yet another heavy defeat in the penultimate game of the group stages of this year’s championship.

From the very outset Caulry were in control and by the 16th minute had a lead of 6 points to no score. Alex Gardiner finally got Garrycastle on the score-sheet with a point from a free in the 18th minute. The game’s first goal cam soon afterwards, when a high ball into the Garrycastle goalmouth was fisted to the net. The match was all but over as a contest in the 28th minute as Caulry grabbed a second goal when a shot for a point came back off the upright and was finished to the net. Alex Gardiner had a second point for Garrycastle, this one also from a free, as the first half came to a close. The half time sore 2-9 to0-2 in Caulry’s favour.

A succession of points from the leaders stretched the lead and a third goal, this time from a penalty, had the winners ahead by 3-13 to 0-2 by the 39th minute. Garrycastle responded to this in good style and scored three good points, all from play, by Alan Daly, Padraig Cosgrove and Alex Gardiner. Alex was again on target with a pointed free. Shane O’Connell made a good double save to prevent a fourth goal for Caulry. Alan Daly had a chance of a goal for Garrycastle but his shot was well saved by the Caulry net minder. Caulry made a number of changes and added points. Garrycastle’s last score was a point from Alex Gardiner. The final score 3-16 to 0-7.

This was yet another disappointing performance from the Garrycastle side. However, there were some good performances, with Jack Donoghue, Gary Mullery, Robbie Fox the best in the defence. Alex Gardiner was the pick of the forwards, and was well supported by Alan Daly.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane O’Connell, Gary Mullery, John Murphy, Jack Donoghue, Peadar Mulvihill, Robbie Fox, Sean Carey, Conor Molloy, Noel Galvin, Brian Carty, Padraig Cosgrove (0-1), Alex Gardiner (0-5, 3f), Matthew Guiheen, Alan Daly (0-1), and Paul Mulvihill.

SUBS: Pascal Dillon for B Carty (41 min); Michael Monaghan for Paul Mulvihill (41 min; Brian Carty for G Mullery (52 min) and Paul Mulvihill for R Fox (59 min).

ALL COUNTY LEAGUE (Division 3 - 26 July 2012)


Garrycastle maintained the 100% record with a hard fought but deserved win over Moate All Whites in sun drenched Garrycastle last Thursday evening. This was a very good game of football played by two teams in top form and provided great entertainment for the spectators.

Playing with the aid of a stiff breeze blowing straight down the pitch, Moate AW had the better start. Two points from frees set them on the way in the fist couple of minutes. A succession of attacks had the Garrycastle defence under constant pressure and some fine point taking by the visiting forwards established a 6 point lead by the 14th minute, with Garrycastle scoreless at that stage. A point from Eoin Monaghan in the 18th minute finally got Garrycastle off the mark. Moate had another point from play in replay. A point from a 45 by Alex Gardiner, a fine score this into the stiff breeze, reduced the margin and Eoin Monaghan followed-up with a point from play after 24 minutes. A point by Moate was replied to by a pointed free from Alex Gardiner as the half time break neared. Pat Fox’s whistle ended the half on a scoreline of 0-8to 0-4 in Moate’s favour.

A point from Robbie Shine just after the restart reduced the margin, but Moate responded with a good point. The sides traded points, with the Garrycastle effort coming from Robbie Fox. Moate AW hit over two quick fire points to stretch their lead. The game’s first green flag cane in the 39th minute, when Eoin Monaghan was on the end of a flowing attack and struck the ball to the net. Moate responded well to that setback and had a point to increase their lead to 3 points. However, a second Garrycastle goal, this time from Alex Gardiner, had the sides’ level by the 42nd minute. A point from Conor Cosgrove put Garrycastle into the lead for the first time in the 43td minute. However, their lead was short-lived as Moate in a promising attack carved open the Garrycastle defence and scored a goal. Not to be out-done, Garrycastle struck back with a fine attack and Conor Cosgrove was quickest to react to a hand-pass across the Moate goalmouth to tap the ball to the net. A point from James Duignan increased the Garrycastle advantage but Moate responded with a pointed free. A pointed free from Conor Cosgrove put his side 2 points up with just a couple of minutes remaining. Moate has a close range free late on but surprisingly hit it wide. The final score was 3-9 to 1-13 in Garrycastle’s favour.

There were good performances from Gary Mullery, Gary McCallon and Alan Fox in defence. Alex Gardiner, Eoin Monaghan and Conor Cosgrove were the pick of the attack.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane O’Connell, Gary Mullery, Conor Harrington, Gary McCallon, Anthony Larkin, John O’Shaughnessy, Alan Fox, James Duignan (0-1), Neil Rattigan, Noel Galvin, Alex Gardiner (1-2, 0-2f, 0-1 45mt), Robbie Fox (0-1), Conor Cosgrove (1-2, 0-1f) Robbie Shine (0-1) and Eoin Monaghan(1-2).

SUBS: Johnny McGuire for N Rattigan (40 min); Sean Brennan for A Larkin (42 min); Matthew Guiheen for Robbie Shine (48 min); Paul Mulvihill for A Gardiner (59 min) and Brian Carty for R Fox (59 min).



Garrycastle intermediate side suffered another defeat in their third game in the championship in waterlogged Tang last Monday evening.

Garrycastle made a good start and had a point from midfielder, Matthew Guiheen, in the 2nd minute. A point from Noel Galvin doubled their lead in the 6th minute. Ballynacargy hit back strongly with a point and a goal by the 9th minute to take the lead. Two more points pushed them into a 4 point lead before Garrycastle had another point from a free by Alex Gardiner. At this stage Ballynacargy had the majority of possession and fired over two more points. A good Garrycastle build-up allowed Alan Daly to gain possession near the end line and he cut along the line and fired a shot goal-ward. However, it hit the post and rebounded to safety. A couple of more points from close range frees stretched the Ballynacargy advantage and they added another point as the first half came to a close. The score was 1-8 to 0-3 in Ballynacargy’s favour at the break.

It was Ballynacargy who made the better start to the second period and two quick fire points increased their lead. A point in reply from a Noel Galvin free gave Garrycastle some hope. The teams exchanged points, wit the Garrycastle effort coming from Alan Daly, whose shot flew just over the bar rather than into the net as he had intended. Another Ballynacargy point was replied to by a free from Noel Galvin. Alas this was Garrycastle’s last score of the game and two more Ballynacargy were registered before the full time whistle. The final score 1-14 to 0-6.

This was a disappointing performance from Garrycastle. They created very few opportunities in attack and the defence was under constant pressure. There were good displays from Conor Harrington, and Robbie Fox in defence. In attack, there was little threat other than from Alan Daly.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane O’Connell, Conor Harrington, Anthony Duignan, Jack Donoghue, Robbie Fox, Anthony Larkin, Alex Gardiner (0-1), Matthew Guiheen (0-1), Johnny McGuire, Brian Carty, Peadar Mulvihill, Noel Galvin (0-3, 2f), Alan Daly (0-1), Conor Molloy, and Mark Keenan.

SUBS: Donovan Hermbusche for B Carty (22 min); Paul Mulvihill for M Keena (46 min); Padraig Cosgrove for M Guiheen (46 min); Michael Monaghan for Peadar Mulvihill (49 min); John McGowan for J McGuire (56 min).

BLOOD SUB: Barry Ruane for D Hermbusche (47 min, inj).

ALL COUNTY LEAGUE (Division 3 - 10 July 2012)


Garrycastle made it 4 wins from four with a hard fought but deserved win over Kilbeggan Shamrocks in Garrycastle last Tuesday evening. While it was dry, the pitch was heavy following all of the recent rain.. Playing into a slight breeze, Garrycastle made a bright start and had a point in the first minute when Eoin Monaghan pointed from close range. Johnny McGuire got his side’s second point in the 4th minute and the same player had his second and Garrycastle’s third point soon after. A point by Ciaran O’Neill increased the lead in the 10th minute. While it took Kilbeggan a long time to find their range, they had a point in the 13th minute and followed it up with a second almost immediately. A pointed free for the visitors was added to by one from play to level matters in the 16th minute. Garrycastle regained the lead with a point from Robbie Fox and Noel Galvin put his side two points up with a well taken score. Kilbeggan responded in style and stuck over two well taken points to level matters again. A point for the visitors put them into the lead for the first time as the half time break approached. However, Johnny McGuire was on hand to level matters yet again in the final minute of the half. The half time score was 0-7 a piece.

Kilbeggan Shamrocks had the better of the early exchanges of the second period. They registered three points, all of which were from play, to take a 3 point lead by the 41st minute. Another point increased their lead. In a tight game a goal was always going to be vital and Garrycastle raised a green flag in the 47th minute after good approach play, when Eoin Monaghan finished coolly to the net. A pointed free in the 58th minute from James Duignan, awarded for a foul on Eoin Monaghan, put his side ahead as time ran out. A lovely pass from Rory McGowan set up Conor Cosgrove and he converted with his trusty left boot wit h only a minute remaining. Kilbeggan pressed forward and had a point from a close range free in the first minute of added time. They won possession from the kick-out and when looking for an equaliser. However, the Garrycastle defence held form to record the narrowest of wins.

There were good performances from goalkeeper, Shane O’Connell and from Gary Mullery, Alan Fox and Conor Harrington in defence. Ciaran O’Neill worked tirelessly in midfield. In attack, Robbie Fox, Johnny McGuire and Eoin Monaghan were always a threat.

This game saw the welcome return of Rory McGowan to action. It was great to see him back in the green and red.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane O’Connell, Gary Mullery, Sean Brennan, Jack Donoghgue, Anthony Larkin, Alan Fox, Conor Harrington, Ciaran O’Neill (0-1), Justin Barrett, Noel Galvin (0-1), Peadar Mulvihill, Robbie Fox (0-1), Alan Daly, Johnny McGuire (0-4) and Eoin Monaghan(1-1).

SUBS: John O’Shaughnessy for S Brennan (half time); James Duignan (0-1, 1f) for N Galvin (39 min); Robbie Shine for A Larkin (44 min); Conor Cosgrove (0-1) for J McGuire (50 min) and Rory McGowan for C O’Neill (53 min).



Garrycastle intermediate side suffered a heavy defeat in their second game in this year’s championship in Tubberclair last Wednesday night. Short of many regulars, it was always going to be tough to get anything against a strong, fit and determined Tang side.

Tang made a blistering start and rattled off six points, all from play, in the opening six minutes. It was not until the 8th minute that Garrycastle got off the mark with a well taken point from Conor Molloy. Tang had a point in reply but Noel Galvin responded with his side’s second point after 12 minutes. A point for Tang was replied to by one from a free by Alan Daly. A goal for Garrycastle was scored in the 16th minute as Paul Donovan collected a fine pass and drilled the ball to the net. Tang added yet another point but a pointed free from Noel Galvin reduced the gap. Tang scored a point from play and Alan Daly converted a close range fee to bring the half to a close on a scoreline of 0-10 to 1-5 in favour of Tang.

Alan Daly had the first chance on the resumption of play but his effort for goal was blocked and he hit the rebound over the bar to reduce the gap to just a point. However, that was as good as it got for the boys in green and red as Tang took complete control and rattled off a succession of points to build up a substantial lead. Garrycastle were reduced to 14 players mid way through the half, when Noel Galvin was shown a second yellow card – followed by the red. Tang continued to dominate possession and build up the lead. Alan Daly had a point in the closing minute of the game but Tang got through for a goal in the first minute of added time and leave the final score 1-21 to 1-7.

Garrycastle will be very disappointed with the performance and result. However, this was a very young side on display and they never gave up trying to play. Marl Keenan was solid in goal and could do little about the goal conceded at the end. Donovan Hermbusche and Gary Mullery impressed in defence. The forwards saw little of the ball but Alan Daly was dangerous whenever he had possession.

GARRYCASTLE: Mark Keenan, Gary Mullery, Donovan Hermbusche, Anthony Duignan, Brian Carty, Johnny McGuire, Anthony Larkin, Noel Galvin (0-2, 1f), Conor Molloy (0-1), Barry Ruane, Peadar Mulvihill, Padraig Cosgrove, Paul Mulvihill, Alan Daly (0-4, 2f) and Paul Donovan (1-0).

SUBS: Terry Rushe for B Carty (36 min); Michael Monaghan for P Cosgrove (42 min); John Murphy for C Molloy (42 min); Michael Dunning for P Donovan (53 min) and Pascal Dillon for Paul Mulvihill (54 min).

ACL DIVISION 3 (31 May 2012)


Garrycastle maintained their 100% record in Division 3 when collecting two points from this trip to Milltown on Thursday of last week. A light drizzle throughout the game made conditions difficult but the Milltown pitch was as usual in excellent condition and the teams served up an entertaining game. The issue was in doubt for most of the game and It was only in the last five minutes that Garrycastle notched the extra points to seal their victory. An early point by wing-back Robbie Fox gave Garrycastle a good start but carelessness in defence allowed the home team in for two quick goals to open up a five point lead. A well-taken goal by Robbie Shine helped Garrycastle to get back in the game and another expertly finished goal from Conor Cosgrove late in the half gave his team an interval lead of 2-5 to 2-3.

The third quarter featured a few good points from both teams as play swung from end to end. Some neat points by Robbie Shine stretched Garrycastle’s lead but Milltown were still in touch with five minutes remaining. The introduction of Adam Kennedy helped Garrycastle win more possession around the middle and a flurry of late points gave them a seven points winning margin, which was probably an unfair reflection of the home team’s efforts.

This was an encouraging display by Garrycastle in view of the number of absentees, and several players showed up very well. Apart from the early lapses the defence was reasonably solid with the half back line particularly impressive. James Duignan and Ciaran O’Neill battled well at midfield while Conor Cosgrove and Robbie Shine took their scores very well. Adam Kennedy made an immediate impact when introduced while Barry Ruane, in his first adult game for the club, showed that he has plenty to contribute.

GARRYCASTLE: Stephen McGuire, Gary Mullery, John O’Shaughnessy, Gary McCallon, Anthony Larkin, Alan Fox, Robbie Fox (0-1), James Duignan (0-3), Ciaran O’Neill, Brian Carty, Conor Cosgrove (1-2, 1 free), Peadar Mulvihill, Padraig Cosgrove (0-1), Robbie Shine (1-6, 1 free), Paul Mulvihill.

Subs: Adam Kennedy (0-1), Paul O’Donovan, Barry Ruane

ALL COUNTY LEAGUE (Division 3 - 13 May 2012))


Garrycastle maintained their 100% league record with a well merited win over the visitors, Mullingar Shamrocks, in Garrycastle last Sunday morning. The game was played in very windy conditions, which made it difficult when shooting for goal, nonetheless the sides served up an entertaining game for the small numbers in attendance.

The game took some time to settle and we had to wait until the 5th minute for the first point, when Robbie Shine converted a close range free. Noel Galvin double the Garrycastle lead soon after with a point from play. The visitors were awarded a penalty in what was a rare attack. However, Stephen McGuire made an excellent block on the goal bound effort and managed to deflect it over his bar for the first score for Shamrocks. A point from Conor Cosgrove put Garrycastle two up again and Robbie Shine had his second point from a free soon after. Shamrocks hit back with a point from a close range free but Robbie Shine responded with yet another successful free to put his side up by 3 points in the 23rd minute. It was all Garrycastle from there to the end of the first period. Two points from frees by Robbie Shine, were scored either side of a point from play by Alan Daly. When Sean Carroll signalled for half time the home side held the lead on a scoreline of 0-8 to 0-2.

Mullingar Shamrocks made a determined start to the second half. They had the lions share of possession and rattled off three points, all of which came from play, in the opening 10 minutes of the half, to reduce the margin to just three points. However, in their next attack, Garrycastle took a decisive lead when Peadar Mulvihill made space and lobbed the ball over the head the Shamrocks goalkeeper to the net. This score was quickly followed up with a point from play by Robbie Shine. Further points from substitute, Padraig Cosgrove, and a free by Conor Cosgrove put Garrycastle in a very strong position with only 5 minutes remaining. Shamrock rallied and scored a goal and a point in the remainder of the game. However, it was a case of too little too late as Garrycastle ran out winners by 1-11 to 1-6.

This was an excellent win for Garrycastle, which was built on a strong defensive performance and some good attacking play. Stephen McGuire was solid in goal, and his penalty save was vital in building a lead. Conor Harrington, Sean Brennan and Gary McCallon were the pick of the defence. Ciaran O’Neill and Noel Galvin gave Garrycastle the edge in midfield. Peadar Mulvihill and Robbie Shine were the best in attack, but were well assisted by Conor Cosgrove and Alan Daly.

GARRYCASTLE: Stephen McGuire, Gary Mullery, Conor Harrington, Sean Brennan, Anthony Larkin, John O’Shaughnessy, Gary McCallon, Ciaran O’Neill, Noel Galvin (0-1), Brian Carty, Conor Cosgrove (0-2, 1f), Peadar Mulvihill (1-0), Alan Daly (0-1), Robbie Shine (0-6, 4f) and Robbie Fox.

SUBS: Neil Rattigan for R Fox (38 min); Padraig Cosgrove (0-1) for B Carty (42 Min).



Garrycastle's return to the Intermediate grade for the first time since their final success in 1997 ended in disappointment when they lost to a more experienced Milltownpass team in Rosemount last Tuesday. Rosemount's pitch was in excellent condition and the game started well for Garrycastle with a quick point from Paul Mulvihill. Milltownpass had the assistance of the wind but their shooting let them down on several occasions and all they could manage in the opening quarter was a pointed “45”. By that stage Garrycastle had built up a good lead with a very well taken goal by Peadar Mulvihill and two good points from Noel Galvin and Anthony Larkin. Gary Mullery had to retire with a nasty facial injury but Jack Donohue proved to be a capable replacement. In the final ten minutes of the half, however, Milltownpass took advantage of a lack of concentration on the part of some Garrycastle players and scored three points, including two from frees, to leave them trailing by 1-3 to 0-4 at the break.

Milltownpass started the second half with purpose and quickly reduced the margin to the minimum. Robbie Shine restored Garrycastle's two point advantage, but when a careless pass gave the ball away in midfield Milltownpass swept up-field and took the lead for the first time with a well-taken goal. When they quickly added a point Garrycastle appeared in big trouble but to their credit they responded well. Paul Mulvihill kicked a good point and Robbie Shine had Garrycastle's only score from a free to level the scores. A missed free at this juncture was to prove costly, however, and in the closing minutes Milltownpass got the two crucial scores to finish as narrow winners.

Garrycastle will be disappointed to have let this game slip from what appeared to be a good position, and will need to show a more sustained effort and concentration in the tough games that lie ahead. The return of Tom McHugh, Donovan Hermbusche, Conor Cosgrove and Alan Daly, all of whom were unavailable for this game, will strengthen the team for the remaining games. They will be heartened by the performances of Conor Harrington, Sean Brennan, Ciaran O'Neill, Anthony Larkin, Robbie Fox, Neill Rattigan and sub Adam Kennedy, while younger players Mark Keenan and Jack Donohue showed that they have much to contribute to the club in the future.

GARRYCASTLE: Mark Keenan, Gary Mullery, Conor Harrington, Sean Brennan, Anthony Larkin (0-1), Ciaran O'Neill, Gary McCallon, Johnny McGuire, Noel Galvin (0-1), Neill Rattigan, Peadar Mulvihill (1-0), Robbie Fox, Paul Mulvihill (0-2), Conor Molloy, Robbie Shine (0-2, 1 free).

SUBS: Jack Donohue for Mullery (injured), Adam Kennedy for Molloy, Padraig Cosgrove for McGuire and Michael Monaghan for Shine.

All County League Division 3 (10/4/2012)

Garrycastle 3-11 Ballinagore 1-2

Garrycastle’s first adult game of the 2012 season took place in Ballinagore last Tuesday evening, and ended with a good win against an understrength home team. With several players unavailable for various reasons, Garrycastle were fortunate that three players who have played no football for several months rallied to the cause, and we are indebted to Anthony Duignan, Neill Rattigan and Brian Carty who ensured the club could fulfil this fixture. Garrycastle started badly, conceding a goal from a penalty in the opening minute, and when the home team quickly added a point things looked ominous. However, inspired by newcomer Ciaran O’Neill, Neill Rattigan, James Duignan and Conor Cosgrove, Garrycastle gained control and held their opponents scoreless for the remainder of the half. A good goal by Padraig Cosgrove was the key score and helped Garrycastle to lead by 1-6 to 1-1 at the break.

Early second half points from James Duignan and Conor Molloy, followed by Padraig Cosgrove’s second goal, put Garrycastle in the driving seat and they were never seriously troubled thereafter. A well-taken goal by Anthony Duignan put the seal on a welcome win, and gives the team a promising start to their Division 3 campaign. The players know only too well, however, that big improvements will be needed for the tougher games that lie ahead.

GARRYCASTLE: Stephen McGuire, Gary Mullery, Sean Brennan, Gary McCallon, Neill Rattigan, Ciaran O’Neill, Anthony Larkin (0-1), James Duignan (0-3), Noel Galvin (Captain), Brian Carty, Conor Cosgrove (0-4, 1 free), Peadar Mulvihill (0-1), Paul Mulvihill, Conor Molloy (0-2), Padraig Cosgrove (2-0).

Subs; Anthony Duignan (1-0) for Paul Mulvihill (injured); Paul Mulvihill for Padraig Cosgrove (injured).