Match Reports Juvenile

Under-14 Championship (Div. 2) FINAL [8 November 2014]


After a long year the curtain came down on the 2014 season for our U14s with an agonising 4 point defeat by Milltownpass in the County final played in good conditions in Moate on Saturday afternoon.

Unfortunately for the lads they under performed on the day but we can take great heart from their performances during the year and this panel of players have been great ambassadors for the club and no doubt their time will come again in a County final.

The lads tried right up to the final whistle and but for some outstanding goal line defending by Milltownpass in a frantic final 5 minute spell the result could have been different. It was not to be on the day and Milltownpass were worthy winners.

(Match Report : John Ruane)

Under-14 Championship (Div. 2) Semi-Final [2 November 2014]


Our under 14s have qualified for the County final after a tough Semi Final encounter with the Ballymore/Milltown amalgamation team Millmore Gaels at Ballinagore last Sunday morning.

Playing with the aid of the breeze in the first half Garrycastle raced into a 3 point lead through Jason Nugent and 2 from Brian Ruane. We were winning ample ball at midfield but some rushed shooting and wrong options close to goal was costing us valuable scores only adding 2 more points by the 15th minute. A misplaced pass in midfield allowed Millmore the ball and using an overlap to good effect they scored a goal against the run of play despite the best efforts of Patrick McKiernan to save. This was somewhat of a wake up call for the lads and they fired over 5 more points before half time courtesy of Eoin Mulvihill, Joe Carmondy (2) ,Feargal Mullin and Brian Ruane to leave the half-time score 0-10 to 1-01 in our favour.

Playing into the wind in the second half we started well with 2 quick points however the inevitable fightback came from Millmore who began to take control in the middle third. They launched attack after attack but some staunch defending from Mathias O Neill, Cillian Lyons, Robert Kelly, Owen Keogh, Dara Mulvihill and Daragh Kenna allowed Millmore to add just 3 more points by midway in the second half. We then regained the momentum with Joe Carmody, Eoin Mulvihill, Jason Nugent and Brian Ruane in particular taking the game to Millmore. A goal by Jason and 2 excellent points from Brian made the game safe.

Whilst this was not a vintage performance we can take many positives into the final.

(Match Report: John Ruane)

Under-10 team win Castledaly Shield [12 October 2014]


The curtain came down on our under 10 season on Sunday last in near perfect conditions at a sundrenched Castledaly when Garrycastle and Tubberclaire took the field at noon for the Shield Final.

On a beautifully prepared and specially marked pitch with linesmen, umpires, match programmes and a large crowd , huge credit must go to Ciaran Henson and the rest of the Castledaly Minor board for the work they put into a very slick and professional tournament.

Tubberclaire started the stronger and seemed to be in control in most areas of the pitch but they could not break down a very resolute Garrycastle defence that was well marshalled by John Mc Bride at full back. Tadhg Mc Kiernan in goal made some great saves , while Sarah Carter and Frank Mc Kiernan cleared their lines well.

Ben Donegan and Conor Sheehan worked very hard under a lot of pressure at midfield while up front Jack Mulvihill and Sam Mc Hugh kept Garrycastle in touch with some excellant points. A goal mouth scramble resulted in a goal for Tubberclaire who went in at half time leading 1-4 to 0-4.

The Garrycastle bench made a few positional changes at half time and the team had a dream start to the second half with a very well worked move finished to the net by team captain, Ben Donegan. Connor Sheehan began to win a lot of ball in the middle and combinations with Jamie Carroll and Andrew Ruane resulted in some of the finest scores you will see at any level. One of Andrews points was from an angle close to the sideline , Dessie Dolan would have been proud of it.

Diarmuid Murtagh did an excellent man marking job and broke a lot of ball that was being won easily by the opposition in the first half. Jamie Carrolls pace was just what was needed to carry ball into the forward line where Kirill Egan, Brian Mulvihill and Jack Mulvihill made good use of it.

Tubberclaire had their periods of dominance as well and despite all our possession it was a tense last few minutes with Garrycastle holding a very dangerous two point lead. Time and again Tubberclaire stormed at the Castle defence looking for the goal that would win it only to be held back by great defending by Conn O'Hara, John McBride and Frank McKiernan. The earlier battles against all of the bigger teams stood to our lads and at the end of what has to be the longest "one minute" of extra time the final whistle was greeted by relief and joy. It was no more than this great bunch of players deserve after a long year of training and games. Half this team will move to under 12s and half remain with under 10s next year and we wish them well with their respective managers.

Team; Tadhg Mc Kiernan, John Mc Bride, Frank Mc Kiernan, Sarah Carter, Diarmuid Murtagh, Ben Donegan ( Capt), Connor Sheehan, Brian Mulvihill, Jack Mulvihill, Jamie Carroll, Andrew Ruane, Conn O'Hara, Kirrill Egan, Matti, Kian , Connor, Sam Mc Hugh, Tom Daly , Jason Macken, Nathan Jackson

(Match Report: John Henson)

Under-8 Challenge vs Doon/Pullough [10 October 2014]

The Garrycastle Under-8 group finished off their football year in style in Garrycastle on Friday evening, with challenge matches against Doon/Pullough from county Offaly. Playing under lights on a cold autumns evening, 27 of the under-8 squad were available, allowing us to field 2 teams, each team playing two matches against their counterparts from Doon/Pullough.

This was our first time to welcome our neighbours from across the county bounds to Garrycastle, and 4 excellent skillful games of football were served up to an appreciative crowd of parents and grandparents. In the absence of many of our under-8 players, it also gave an opportunity for some of our up-and-coming under-6 players to take to the field and show what they could do - and they sure stepped up to the mark in style.

It is extremely heartening to see the development in many of these young players over the last 8 months or so. Their ability to play and enjoy football has grown immensely, and certainly the older players can look forward with confidence to their under-10 football next year.

Congratulations to Paddy Galvin and Darragh Glennon, making their home debuts in the green and red colours - sure to be just the first of many appearances for the club in the coming years.

Many thanks to Paul, Diarmuid and all the other mentors from Doon/Pullough for travelling in to us, and for providing excellent, sporting games of football. We look forward to more interaction with them in the coming year.

As mentioned, this was our final outing of the year, (although we are working on one special "final" outing - details later). We will take a break for the remainder of October, and resume with our winter indoor schedule in early November.

Squad on the evening:

Red Team: Van McCay, Keelan Ward, Conor Deeney, Sean Galvin, Paddy Galvin, Darragh Glennon, Rian Gaynor, Callum Hudson, Tom Sheehan, Jack Allen, Dylan Frawley, Niadh Shine, Cian Norris, Dean Grehan.

Green Team: Evan McMickan, Cristian Turean, Sean O'Donoghue, Nathan McKeon, Brandon Devaney, Anthony Mannion, Daniel Sierpinski, James McHugh, Aaron Keegan, Alex Conner, Rory McMickan, Louie Shine, Oisin O'Donoghue.

(Report: William Leahy)

Under-14 Championship (Div. 2) [5 October 2014]


Garrycastle U14s played their last game in the league Championship format last Sat evening in Garrycastle and were very convincing winners over The Downs. Right from the off the lads were determined to lay down an early marker and had the game effectively won at half time with Dylan Keegan, Jack Fitzgerald and Ian Carroll in good form in the full forward line supported by some fine runs from midfield from Dara Mulvihill and Joe Carmody.

With Andrew Monaghan,Cillian Lyons and Owen Keogh prominent in defense Garrycastle were never in danger of losing the game. The second half gave the opportunity to give all the panel a run out but this did not alter the trend of the game with Garrycastle continuing to dominate.

They have now qualified for the county semi final with their opponents unknown as of yet.

Panel: Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan, Mathias O Neill, Andrew Monaghan, Owen Keogh, Cillian Lyons, Robert Kelly, Ryan Cornally, Dean Reynolds, Tommy Stephens, Dara Mulvihill, Joe Carmody, Ian Carroll, Jack Fitzgerald, Dylan Keegan, Brian Ruane, Jason Nugent, Eoin Mulvihill, Daragh Kenna, Robert O'Brien, Feargal Mullin.

(Match Report: John Ruane)

Under 16 League Championship (Division 2 – Semi-final) [4 October 2014]


The Garrycastle under 16s bowed out of the Division 2 championship when going down to Moate All Whites in Rosemount last Saturday afternoon.

Moate got off to a good start and had two points on the scoreboard in the opening couple of minutes. However, Garrycastle responded in style and Oisin Langan raised a green flag with a powerful shot after he was set up following fine approach work. Moate continued to have most of the possession and added three further points by the 12th minute. The only replay from Garrycastle coming yet again from Oisin Langan, this time a fine point from close range. The final 12 minutes of the first period was completely dominated by Moate and they hit over some good points to lead by 0-9 to 1-1 after 22 minutes. They added a goal soon after and pointed almost immediately to take a healthy lead of 1-10 to 1-1- into the break.

Garrycastle had the aid of a stiff breeze in the second period and needed to make a positive start if they were to have any chance of victory. However, it was Moate who increased their lead to 13 points when they worked a goal and a point in quick succession. The Garrycastle lads had a mountain to climb but they never let their heads drop and began a determined fight-back with a pointed free from Cathal Mannion in the 37th minute. Moate had a point from a free in what was becoming a very tight affair. A goal soon after from Philip Monaghan gave Garrycastle further encouragement and Philip added his second goal of the game in the 42nd minute to narrow the gap to just 5 points with plenty of time in hand. Jack O’Connor pointed to reduce the margin further. Conor Mulvihill, now operating in the full forward position, got a fine point and Bill Kelly broke forward to point for his side on 54 minutes to leave just four points between the sides. Garrycastle worked a goal opportunity but Conor Mulvihill’s effort was blocked and the danger cleared. The Garrycastle lads threw everything into an efforts to get closer but determined defending from Moate kept them at bay. The final score 2-12 to 3-5 in Moate’s favour.

This was a disappointing outcome for Garrycastle, but given that they were 13 points down in the early stages of the second half they showed great heart and no little skill to fight back and make a real game of it. Colm Lynch was excellent in goal in the absence of the injured Matthew McBride. The full back line of Caolan Jameson, Brian Leahy and Mark Denby were excellent throughout. Jack Brody and Bill Kelly played themselves into the game in the second period and contributed in no small measure to the fight-back. Oisin Langan had many fine moments and contributed 1-2 from midfield. Cathal Mannion, Ross Mulvihil and Philip Monaghan (who scored two goals) were most prominent in attack. Each of the substitutes also played their part in a fine but ultimately fruitless fight-back. Well done to all of the panel and best wishes to a fine Moate side in the Final.

GARRYCASTLE: Colm Lynch, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Jack Brody, Bill Kelly (0-1), Sean Mulvihill, Oisin Langan (1-2), Conor Mulvihill, Brian Ruane, Cathal Mannion (0-1, 1f), Ross Mulvihill, Philip Monaghan (2-0), Enda Moran and Jack O’Connor (0-1).

SUBS: Conor Macken for S Mulvihill (34 min); Eoin Mulvihill for B Ruane (45 min); Joe Carmody for Enda Moran (55 min).

(Report by Matt Ryan)

Under-14 Championship (Div. 2) [1 October 2014]


Our U14s travelled to Milltownpass on a wet and miserable Tuesday evening last for the latest game in the Championship and were fortunate to come away with a draw after putting in a very flat performance on the night. Were it not for an outstanding performace from Patrick McKieran in goal the game would most certainly have been lost.

The first half was a poor affair with Garrycastle guilty of kicking the ball short into the Milltownpass goalies hands on numerous occasions.The half ending 1-03 a piece with the Garrycastle goal coming from an excellent penalty kick from Brian Ruane.

We struggled to get into the game in the second half with the very poor underfoot conditions playing a part but showed excellent desire and composure in the last 10 Mins to get back into a game that seemed lost with two brilliant goals from Ian Carroll and Joe Carmody.Milltownpass took the lead again with 2 minutes remaining with a soft free but the lads worked the ball all the way up to the Milltownpass 14 yard line from Patrick's kickout for Joe Carmody to kick a point and draw the game.

The lads know this performance will not be good enough in the upcoming county semi final but having played poorly we can still take positives that will stand to the team going forward.

(Match Report: John Ruane)

Minor Championship Division 3 (13-a-side) Semi-Final [27 September 2014]


Garrycastle were comprehensively beaten by a much stronger Millmore Gaels side in the Minor Championship Division 3, (13-a-side) semi-final in Kilbeggan on Saturday morning. With only 8 minors available, it needed six of the under-16 squad to make up the numbers, including three players playing their first game at minor level.

Facing a strong Millmore Gaels side, it was always going to be an uphill struggle, and thus it proved, as Millmore signalled their intent and went for goals right from the throw in. They had 2 goals and a point on the board, before Garrycastle notched up their first scores, a pointed free from Cathal Mannion following a foul on Mark Duffy, and a sweetly struck point from Kenny Dolan following good build-up play from mid-field. However, from there until the end of the first half, it was one-way traffic for Millmore, and they notched up a huge lead, before Cathal, again from a free, scored Garrycastles third point.

Event though the match was effectively over as a contest by half-time, the Garrycastle team emerged with purpose in the second half, and took the game to Millmore. An early point from Mark Duffy was followed by a great chance for Liam Leahy, who did everything right, but was denied by an excellent save by the Millmore keeper. No fewer than 3 consecutive wides followed, as Garrycastle tried hard to narrow the gap on the scoreboard. Closest was Cathal, following a good through ball from Cian Hayden, which ended up in the side netting. A lapse of concentration allowed Millmore in to poach a goal against the run of play, but this was responded to immediately by a goal fom Ken, following a cleverly taken free by Ben Kennedy. Garrycastle continued to push forward and were rewarded with points from Mark, Cian and Bill. However, try as they might, the wide count kept increasing, with some shot options being perhaps a little on the optimistic side.

The Garrycastle team can be proud of the fact that even facing such an uphill task, their heads did not drop, and they played as a team right to the final whistle. They outscored Millmore Gaels in the second half and should have had much more to show on the scoreboard for their efforts.

Team picture available on the Minor Team web-page.


Matthew McBride, Adam Keena, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Bill Kelly (0-1), Sean Kilgarriff, Ben Kennedy, Cian Hayden (0-1), Liam Leahy, Cathal Mannion (0-2, 0-2f), Eoin Duignan, Mark Duffy (0-2), Kenny Dolan (1-1).

Sub: Caolan Jameson for Brian Leahy (45mins), Brian Leahy for Kenny Dolan (inj. 58mins)

(Match Report: William Leahy)

Under-8 Blitz in Moate [14 September 2014]

The Garrycastle Under-8 group travelled to Moate on Sunday morning to take part in an Under-8 blitz, organised by the Moate All-Whites club, as part of a wider fundraising effort in aid of Conor Dufficy, a member of the Moate All-Whites under-8 squad who lost a leg in an accident earlier in the summer.

Garrycastle were missing quite a few of their under-8 players due to other committments, but still fielded a squad of 22 players on the morning, allowing us to play two teams. This allowed many of the under-7 and some of the under-6 group to show what they could do, and they stepped up to the mark in style!

In the blitz itself, the Garrycastle "Green" team played against the Moate All-Whites and Coralstown/Kinnegad teams in their two matches, while the Garrycastle "Red" team played against Caulry and St. Josephs/Kilbeggan in their two games. To finish, we had a short game against a combined Moate All-Whites team with a combined Garrycastle team. Needless to say, everyone got plenty of chances to play football on a beautiful Sunday morning.

All the players played with huge energy and enthusiasm on the morning, and took some fanntastic scores during the games.

Welcome back to Sean Galvin and Dervla Turley after the summer break, and well done to Evan Turley and Finnian Turley making their competitive debuts in the Green and Red colours.

(Match Report: William Leahy)

Under-14 Championship (Div. 2) [12 September 2014]


Our U14s beat Killucan in a very exciting and tough encounter last Thursday evening in Garrycastle. The win ensures that they have qualified for the county semi final with two games still to play in the league championship format.

With Jason Nugent captaining the side in the absence of Eoin Mulvihill who was injured the lads were quick out of the blocks with early points from Jason, Joe Carmody, Brian Ruane and Feargal Mullin before an excellent goal by Ian Carroll left the score after 20 minutes 1-07 to 0-04. The physically strong Killucan side rallied to add 1-02 before the break to leave the HT score 1-10 to 1-06.

The second half was a fiery affair with each side matching each other score for score with the Garrycastle goal coming from Owen Keogh. A breakaway goal with 5 minutes remaining brought Killucan level and they looked to have the momentum to go on and win however great team work over the closing minutes and some excellent running at the Kllucan defence from Joe Carmody, Brian Ruane, Jason Nugent and Dara Mulvihill in particular ensured that we scored 3 points without reply to win the game.

Apart from those mentioned already there were good performances from Patrick McKiernan, Daragh Kenna, Andrew Monaghan and Robert O Brien.


Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan, Mathias O'Neill, Robert Kelly, Cillian Lyons, Dara Mulvihill, Dylan Keegan, Joe Carmody, Jason Nugent, Brian Ruane, Andrew Monaghan, Robert O'Brien, Feargal Mullin,, Ian Carroll, Owen Keogh, Tommy Stephens, Daragh Kenna.

(Match Report: John Ruane)

Under 16 League Championship (Division 2 – Quarter-final) [8 September 2014]


It was the visitors who had a couple of attacks in the early moments, but some solid defending from the Garrycastle lads kept the scoreboard bare. Garrycastle broke forward in turn and a flowing move saw Philip Monaghan strike over a point to finish off a fine move in the 3rd minute. Philip was again on the end of a good attack to double the Garrycastle advantage soon after. Ross Mulvihiill was next up to score, a fine point from the right. Conor Macken pointed to give Garrycastle a four point advantage in the 11th minute. Ballycomoyle did get off the mark with a pointed free in the 15th minute and had another point, from yet another free, in their next attack to reduce the margin to just two points. Garrycastle did have the ball in the Ballycomoye net after a strong run and shot by Cathal Mannion, but it was ruled out by the Referee, Martin Seery, for a square-ball. A third point from Philip Monaghan just before the break saw Garrycastle lead by 0-5 to 0-2 at half time.

Ballycomoyle had the first score on the resumption of play, a point from a close range free. However, Garrycastle continued to have the better chances and a point from Cathal Mannion restored their three point advantage. Oisin Langan popped over a good point in the 42nd minute and this was quickly followed up with a point from a free by Cathal Mannion. Substitute, Jason Nugent, was on hand to score a point soon after his introduction. In the next attack Oisin Langan hit over a fine point from distance to establish a six point lead by the 40th minute. Garrycastle pushed on and Oisin was on hand again to point, this one a fine effort from the right. Bill Kelly broke forward from centre back to hit over a point as Garrycastle continued to dominate. Philip Monaghan was put through on goal but was hauled down by the Ballycomoyle goalie and a penalty was awarded. Cathal Mannion’s effort was saved but the Referee ordered that it be retaken and Cathal made no mistake second time round to find the net in the 58th minute. Ballycomoyle did break forward to score a point from play as time ran out, this being their only score from play in the game. The final score 1-12 to 0-4.

This was a good result and display from the Garrycastle lads. The defence was solid throughout and at time the forward play was excellent. However, they know that they will have to play much better in the semi-final if they wish to advance in the championship. There were particularly good displays from Brain Leahy and Bill Kelly in defence. Oisin Langan and Conor Mulvihill had the upper hand in mid-field for most of the hour. Cathal Mannion, Ross Nulvihill, and Philip Monaghan were most impressive in attack.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Jack Brody, Bill Kelly (0-1), Sean Mulvihill, Conor Mulvihill, Oisin Langan (0-3), Ross Mulvihill (0-1), Cathal Mannion (1-2, 1-0 pen, 0-1f), Colm Lynch, Conor Macken (0-1), Colm Henry and Philip Monaghan (0-3).

SUBS: Brian Ruane for J Brody (inj, 40 min); Jason Nugent (0-1) for C Henry (46 min); Enda Moran for C Mulvihill (48 min).

(Report by Matt Ryan)

Under-8 County Blitz in Tang [6 September 2014]

The Garrycastle Under-8 group travelled to Tang on Saturday, to take part in the final round round of Under-8 county-organised football blitzes for 2014. On a beautiful morning for football, an absolutely fantastic turnout of 28 of the youngest players in the club, ensured that we were able to comfortably field two teams in the blitz, with each team playing two matches.

The Garrycastle "Green" team played their counterparts from Caulry in the first round, and Moate All-Whites in the second round of matches. In both matches, the Garrycastle team just edged out their opponents. The Garrycastle "Red" team played against Maryland/Tang in a thrilling match in thei first round, which ended in a draw (which was a fair result for both teams), and driven on from the middle of the field by Andrew Henson, Tom Sheehan and Jack Allen, were a little too strong for Caulry in the second round of matches.

All of the matches were characterised by very high levels of skill, in terms of fielding the ball, solo-ing with the ball, tackling when not in possession, and a number of very well executed blocks, of which one in particular by Aaron Keegan, gets a special mention! There were some excellent scores also, in all of the games, taken with no little composure, even for such young players. It is unlikely that even if Dessie Dolan was eligible to play at this age grade, that he would be an automatic starter!

As the year has progressed, it is evident that all of the effort put in by this group of players in training is paying off, and their ability to play and enjoy their football has increased hugely.

Welcome back to all the players who were away during the Summer, (Callum, Leo, and Gearoid)!

Many thanks also to all of the parents for supporting the teams in a great sporting manner - it really makes a difference to have the positive encouragement from the sideline. Thanks as always to the mentors and coaches for looking after the teams on the day, and ensuring that all of the players present got to play their part in all of the matches.

And last, but not least, many thanks to Danny and the other mentors in Tang for an excellently run blitz, and the gratefully received refreshments at the end.

Under-14 Championship (Div. 2) [29 August 2014]


Our U14s travelled to Kilbeggan on a miserable last Thursday evening and came away with the 2 points on offer after a workmanlike performance played in very difficult conditions with a strong wind and constant rain all through the game. Playing with the aid of the strong wind in the first half some direct Garrycastle football contributed to a healthy first half score of 3-09 which was offset somewhat by the concession of two very sloppy and needless goals leaving Kilbeggan on 2-03 at the half time break.

The lads were aware that they needed to up the performance in the second half facing into a the wind and they did just that playing some excellent running football which produced some fine scores leaving the full time score 5-18 to 3-06.

This was a fine panel performance from all on the night especially in the second half.

Panel on Duty:

Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan, Mathias O'Neill, Robert Kelly, Owen Keogh, Dara Mulvihill, Cillian Lyons, Eoin Mulvihill, Joe Carmody, Brian Ruane, Andrew Monaghan, Jason Nugent, Ian Carroll, Daragh Kenna, Feargal Mullin, Robert O'Brien, Ryan Cornally, Charlie O'Connor.

(Match Report: John Ruane)

Under 16 League Championship (Group C) [25 August 2014]


Our under 16s went down to a defeat against a very strong and skilful St Lomans side in their final group game in this year’s league championship in Garrycastle last Monday evening. Playing with the aid of a strong breeze, the visitors were quickly out of the blocks and had a point within a couple of minutes. They added two quick goals to lead by 2-1 after just seven minutes of play. The visitors continued to dominate and added a third goal in the 10th minute. Garrycastle responded soon after, when midfielder, Oisin Langan, broke forward and was found with a fine pass and fired the ball to the St Lomans net. However, St Lomans continued to have the lion’s share of possession and added four more points to their lead. Jack O’Connor scored a point from a close range free for Garrycastle as the half time break approached. However, St Lomans broke through yet again to raise a green flag on the stroke of half time. The score at the break 4-5 to 1-1 in St Lomans favour.

St Lomans continued to impress on the resumption and added two points in as many minutes. A pointed free from Cathal Mannion was Garrycastle’s only response. St Lomans got through for yet another goal but Brian Ruane responded with a point for the home side. St Lomans added two more points to stretch their advantage. Conor Mulvihill, who had moved to full forward at this stage was on hand to punch a ball from Philip Monaghan to the St Lomans net mid-way through the second period. St Lomans had a point but Philip Monaghan responded with a point for Garrycastle. St Lomans pointed again and had their sixth goal in the 49th minute when a looping ball deceived Matthew McBride and nestled in the net. To their great credit the Garrycastle lads never gave up and indeed pressed forward with renewed determination in the final 10 minutes. They were rewarded for their efforts with a goal from Cathal Mannion and a pointed free form the same player as time ran out. The final score 6-11 to 3-5 in St Lomans favour.

This was a disappointing result and the display, particularly in the first period, was not a true reflection of their capabilities. There were good performances from Brian Leahy, Ross Mulvihill and Bill Kelly in defence. Brian Ruane, Cathal Mannion and Eoin Mulvihill made some impression in the second period against a good St Lomans side.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Ross Mulvihill, Bill Kelly, Sean Mulvihill, Conor Mulvihill (1-0), Oisin Langan (1-0), Brain Ruane (0-1), Cathal Mannion (1-2, 0-2f), Conor Macken, Colm Lynch, Philip Monaghan (0-1), and Jack O’Connor (0-1, 1f).

SUBS: Joe Carmody (0-1) for C Macken (half time); Eoin Mulvihill for S Mulvihill (half time); S Mulvihill for C Jameson (49 min); C Macken for P Monaghan (49 min).

(Report by Matt Ryan)

Under-14 Championship (Div. 2) [14 August 2014]


Our U14s made the trip over to Mullingar on Thursday evening last to play Shandonagh in the second round of the championship and came away with a comprehensive win. With a number of the panel unavailable due to holidays we had the bare 15 available to field on the night which included two under 12s Tommy Stephens and Charlie O Connor who both played very well on the night.

This was our first game in a few weeks and we started very slow with early points from Jason Nugent,Joe Carmody and Brian Ruane keeping the scoreboard ticking over. Shandonagh were playing some good football in the first 20 minutes but excellent defending by Eoin Mulvihill,Owen Keogh and Daniel Guinan kept them at bay.The lads came more into the game in the last 10 minutes of the first half scoring 3 goals from Joe Carmody,Jason Nugent and Charlie O Connor adding to 4 pts from play by Brian Ruane leaving the half time score 3 - 08 to 0 -04.

This scoring burst was the winning of the game and they started the second half in similar fashion with goals from Ian Carroll and Joe Carmody to finish the game as a contest.

This was far from a vintage performance mixing some excellent football with some very poor handling however as it was our first run out in some weeks we were pleased with the effort on the night.

Panel on Duty:

Patrick McKiernan,Daniel Guinan,Eoin Mulvihill,Robert Kelly,Daragh Kenna,Owen Keogh,Tommy Stephens,Dara Mulvihill,Joe Carmody,Robert O Brien,Brian Ruane,Andew Monaghan,Charlie O Connor,Jason Nugent,Ian Carroll.

U16 Football League Championship (Group C) [11 August 2014]


Garrycastle lost out to the visitors in a hugely entertaining game last Monday evening in Garrycastle. Playing with the aid of a stiff breeze, the Garrycastle boys had a point on the scoreboard in the very first minute, as Jack O’Connor slotted over a point. The visitors struck back and levelled and in their next attack struck over another point to lead. Garrycastle had the better of the exchanges in the next period and points from Conor Macken and two pointed frees from Cathal Mannion pushed the home side ahead. Whan Colm Henry raised a green flag in the 17th minute, after very good approach play, it put his side ahead by five points. St Malachys/Ballinagore had the final score of the half, a pointed free, to leave the Garrycastle lads ahead by 1-4 to 0-3 at the break.

The visitors made very good use of the wind advantage on the resumption, scoring two quick points to reduce the gap to just a point within two minutes of the resumption. They then struck for a goal to grab the lead and added two more points to stretch their advantage to 3 points by the 36th minute. Substitute, Joe Carmody, replied for Garrycastle with a good point after gaining possession close to goal. However, St Malachys/Balinagore continued to press forward and hit over three points to lead by five points as the game entered the final 10 minutes. To their credit the Garrycastle boys did not wilt and they played their best football in the remaining time. Cathal Mannion pointed a free and then wonderful team work and determined play fashioned a goal opportunity which saw Cathal smash an unstoppable shot to the visitor’s net. Game on and only a point between the sides with just over five minutes remaining. Garrycastle pressed forward and fashioned a couple of half chances for an equaliser. However, it was the visitors who broke forward to goal in added time and seal the win on a score-line of 2-10 to 2-6.

Despite defeat, the Garrycastle boys can be very well pleased with the performance. Were it not for a poor start to the second half they may well have fashioned a win against a very strong and physically bigger St Malachys/Ballinagore side. It would be unfair to single out any players for special mention, in what was a good team display by all 17 players who tasted action.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Jack Brody, Bill Kelly, Sean Mulvihill, Conor Mulvihill, Cathal Mannion (1-3, 0-3f), Ross Mulvihill, Colm Lynch, Philip Monaghan, Conor Macken (0-1), Colm Henry (1-0) and Jack O’Connor (0-1).

SUBS: Joe Carmody (0-1) for C Henry (half time); Brian Ruane for S Mulvihill (43 min).

(Report by Matt Ryan)

Under-8 County Blitz in Moate [9 August 2014]

The Garrycastle Under-8 group travelled to the new Moate All-Whites pitch on Saturday, to take part in the latest round of Under-8 county blitzes. On the day, besides the home team and Garrycastle, there were also teams present from Tubberclair, Maryland/Tang and Millmore Gaels.

Even though August should be considered the height of summer, on arrival in Moate we were greeted with a torrential downpour! However, even allowing for the poor weather, and the absence of a large number of players on summer holidays, we were able to field 18 players and two teams for the blitz.

The first team played against the counterparts from the Moate All-Whites and Tubberclair in their 2 matches, resulting in a win against Moate, and a hard-earned draw against Tubberclair. The second team had a tougher time of it, coming out second best to the second Moate All-Whites team in their first game, and Millmore Gaels in the second match.

Overall, this was another reasonable performance from the clubs youngest players. Very well done to all who turned out on the morning, and represented their club with great enthusiasm. Special congratulations to Cristian Turean on making his debut in the red-and-green shirt - hopefully just the first of many to come.

(Match Report: William Leahy)

Under 16 League Championship (Group D) - Round 1 [27 July 2014]


Garrycastle under 16s made a winning start to their championship campaign with a close fought but well deserved win over Shannon Gales (Maryland/Tang & Tubberclair) in Tang last Sunday morning.

The home side had a point on the board in the very first minute. However, Garrycastle responded with a pointed free from Philip Monaghan. Garrycastle grabbed the lead in the 9th minute, when Colm Henry was on the end of a ball dropped into the Shannon Gaels goalmouth from a Cathal Mannion free and fisted to the net. Shannon Gaels responded to this setback with two points, both of which came from close range frees. The sides were level soon after when Shannon Gaels had a point from open play. Oisin Langan nudged Garrycastle into the lead again with a well taken point. Shannon Gaels responded with a point from a free. A point from Jack O’Connor just as time ran out in the first half had his side ahead by 1-3 to 0-5 at the break.

Shannon Gaels registered the first score on the resumption, but a pointed free from Cathal Mannion restored the Garrycastle lead almost immediately. Two quick fire points from Shannon Gaels put them ahead, the second of which was a fine effort from distance. Cathal Mannion had another point from a free but Shannon Gaels took a form grip on proceedings with two points in the space of two minutes, the first of which was from a free. The home side increased their lead to 3 points with just over 10 minutes remaining. The Garrycastle lads upped their efforts and over the remaining minutes pushed on for scores. Colm Lynch was fouled as he bore down on goal and the Referee had no hesitation in awarding a penalty and issuing a black card to the offending defender. Cathal Mannion stepped up and goaled from the penalty spot to level matters with 8 minutes remaining. Substitute, Joe Carmody, was to play a pivotal role in the remaining minutes. He hit over two points from frees and one from play to push Garrycastle 3 points up as time ran out. The final score 2-8 to 0-11 in Garrycastle’s favour.

This was a spirited and determined effort from the Garrycastle boys. The defence was solid throughout with Matthew McBride in goal, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Jack Brody and Bill Kelly most prominent. Oisin Langan and Conor Mulvihill worked tirelessly for their team and the forward division caused problems all morning for the opposition. Ross Mulvihill’s pace and close control was a notable feature of his contribution, Cathal Mannion was accurate from placed balls and Jack O’Connor showed well throughout. The other forwards and substitutes also played their part in a well merited win.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Jack Brody, Bill Kelly, Sean Mulvihill, Conor Mulvihill, Oisin Langan (0-1), Ross Mulvihill, Cathal Mannion (1-2, 1-0 pen, 0-2 f), Philip Monaghan (0-1, 1f), Colm Lynch, Colm Henry (1-0) and Jack O’Connor (0-1).

SUBS: Joe Carmody (0-3, 2f) for C Henry (37 min); Brian Ruane for P Monaghan (49 min) and Conor Macken for C Lynch (58 min).

(Report by Matt Ryan)

Minor League - Division 2 [9 July 2014]


Garrycastle Minors restarted their league campaign with a narrow loss to St. Lomans on Tuesday evening in Garrycastle. Playing with the benefit of a strong breeze, Garrycastle started brightly with a pointed free from Kenny Dolan, followed by a point from Eric Kearney which seemed to have goal written all over it. An unfortunate injury suffered by Frank Farrell after just 5 minutes saw him leave the field, replaced by Liam Leahy, and during the following few minutes while Garrycastle re-arranged their back-line, St. Lomans struck for two quick goals and a pointed free, to put them in the driving seat.

Garrycastle struck back with a goal from a penalty by Eric Kearney, following a foul on Ben Kennedy, which saw the St. Lomans goalkeeper shown a black card. However, the same fate befell Mark Duffy shortly afterwards, and he also had to leave the field, replaced by Cathal Mannion. Again, the re-shufle cost Garrycastle dear, as St. Lomans struck for another goal. A huge point from Ben Kennedy steadied the ship, before the teams traded points, leaving the half-time score at 3-4 to 1-4 in favour of the visitors.

The second half had only just started when Cathal pounced for a well taken goal to narrow the arrears. However, a foul on Darragh McCormack soon after, resulting in a yellow card for the St. Lomans number 10, saw a poorly taken free give away possession and another goal for St. Lomans, giving Shane McEnery no chance in the Garrycastle goal. An accidental collision on the pitch resulted in Darragh Brody having to be taken off, replaced by Kevin McCormack. Garrycastle then stepped up a gear, and a well worked move involving Cathal and Kenny to Eric resulted in a well taken goal, quickly followed by a pointed free by Kenny. Another goal from Kenny brought the deficit back to just 2 points.

St. Lomans cause was not helped when their number 6 was yellow carded for the second time, and sent off for a poor tackle on Kenny, who calmly pointed the free to leave just the minimum between the teams. St. Lomans responded well to this setback and outscored Garrycastle by 4 points to 1 over the next 5 minutes, before the St. Lomans number 10 saw a red card for a mis-timed tackle on Ben.

Cathal struck again with another goal to bring the deficit back to 1 point again, and as the match entered its final moments, the team pressed forward to try and get the equalising score. However it wasn't to be, and the St. Lomans number 11, who had an excellent game overall, broke forward to score a huge point from out on the far sideline to end the scoring.

Overall, this was a good performance from the Garrycastle team, although some rustiness was evident due to the long layoff for exams, holidays and the like.


Shane McEnery, Eric McCormack, Darragh Brody, Mark Denby, Adam Keena, Frank Farrell, Bill Kelly, Eric Kearney (2-1, 1-0p), Ben Kennedy (0-1), Tiarnan Dickson, Cian Hayden, Ronan Mulvihill, Mark Duffy, Kenny Dolan (1-5, 0-4f), Darragh McCormack.

Subs: Liam Leahy for Frank Farrell (inj) 5 mins, Cathal Mannion (2-0) for Mark Duffy 15 mins, Kevin McCormack for Darragh Brody (inj) 40 mins.

(Match Report : William Leahy)

Under-8 County Blitz in Garrycastle [5 July 2014]

On Saturday, it was Garrycastle's turn to host the latest Under-8 County organised football blitz. Besides the home team, we also had teams from Maryland/Tang, Millmore Gaels, Moate All-Whites and Tubberclair attend. With good numbers in attendance, Garrycastle were able to field 2 teams on the morning. As is the norm for these blitzes, each team plays two matches, against different opposition, and all players get to play.

In the first round of matches, the first Garrycastle team played a spirited draw against Maryland/Tang, while the second Garrycastle team came up just short against a very strong Moate All-Whites outfit. In the second round of matches, the first Garrycastle team proved too strong for Millmore Gaels, while the second Garrycastle team played out an entertaining drawn match against Tubberclair.

There was some great football on display from both teams, with some excellent scores, fit to grace any football field. In defense, the Garrycastle lads played with huge effort and enthusiasm. All in all, this was an excellent morning's football from some of the clubs youngest players.

(Match Report: William Leahy)

Under 16 League (Division 2) [4 July 2014]


Garrycastle travelled to Tyrrellspass for this re-arranged league fixture last Friday evening and had to settle for defeat by the slimmest of margins. Missing a few regulars through injury and holidays, the Garrycastle lads put up a spirited display and if they could have shown a bit more composure in good scoring position might well have come away with the points on offer.

The opening period was dominated by the home side and they has registered 3 points by the 12th minute. Philip Monaghan got Garrycastle’s first score, a point from a free, in the 12th minute. The same player then scored pointed from a free out on the side-line a few minutes later. Matthew McBride came to his side’s rescue with a fine save at the expense of a 45 when a goal looked certain for the home side. Two points for the home side before the break left them ahead by 0-5 to 0-2 at half time.

In a repeat of the first half pattern, Tyrrellspass made the better start to the second half and pointed from a free on the resumption. Matthew McBride again came to his side’s rescue with a very smart save. However, Tyrrellspass pointed soon after to increase their lead further. Two further points from open play put Tyrrellspass 0-8 to 0-2 ahead with 41 minutes played. This seemed to spur Garrycastle on and they stormed into the game. A pointed free from Oisin Langan reduced the gap and this was soon followed by the game’s first goal, when Jack O’Connor was on hand to punch to the net. In their next attack, Garrycastle had a point from play by Philip Monaghan. “Game on” with just a point between the sides with over 10 minutes remaining. It was end to end at this stage but Tyrrellspass hit over two quick fire points in the 53rd minute. Enda Malone pointed from a free after he was fouled, but Tyrrellspass responded with a point of their own. Bill Kelly broke forward from centre back to point with just two minutes remaining and leave just a point between them. However, try as they might the Garrycastle lads could not fashion an equalising point and lost out on a scoreline of 0-11 to 1-7.

This was a very spirited display by Garrycastle, despite the defeat. The full back line of Ross Mulvihill, Brian Leahy and Sean Mulvihill were excellent. Behind them goalkeeper, Matthew McBride, brought off a number of important saves and deserved to keep a clean sheet. There were also good periods from Bill Kelly and Brian Ruane in defence. Oisin Langan in midfield, Philip Monaghan and Jack O’Connor in attack also showed well.

This group, along with returning players, can now look forward with some confidence to the upcoming championship.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Ross Mulvihill, Brian Leahy, Sean Mulvihill, Jack Brody, Bill Kelly (0-1), Brian Ruane, Conor Mulvihill, Oisin Langan (0-1), Enda Malone (0-1, 1f), Colm Lynch, Philip Monaghan (0-4, 3f), Jason Nugent, Colm Henry and Jack O’Connor (1-0).

(Report by Matt Ryan)

Under-8 County Blitz in Cusack Park [17 June 2014]

The Garrycastle Under-8 squad headed off to Cusack Park on Monday evening, to take place in the latest round of County-organised blitzes, this time in conjunction with the Destination Sport initiative in Mullingar. This is a great opportunity for our younger players, as all clubs in the county take part, and we normally get to play against teams not usually encountered in South Westmeath. On perhaps the warmest evening of the year so far, Garrycastle fielded two teams, each playing two matches.

In the first round of matches, the Garrycastle Red and Green teams played their counterparts from The Downs. The Red team got off to a great start, and led their match from start to finish. The Green team had a tougher encounter, and after an enthralling game of football, the teams could not be separated, and the match finished all-square.

In the second round of matches, the Garrycastle Red team took on Rosemount, while the Green team played the second team from The Downs. In both games the Garrycastle team took the lead from the start, and finished the games strongly, taking the honours on the night, playing some lovely fluid football, and using the available space to good effect.

All in all, a very successful trip for this young squad. All players who attended played their part in both games, and can take great pride in their skill levels, and their sportsmanship. After the matches, all of the players got the opportunity to hoist the Flanagan trophy high from the presentation area, hopefully something they will replicate at many grades over the coming years.

Match Report : William Leahy.

Under-8 Summer Street League Finals [15 June 2014]

The Under-8 Summer Street League reached it's final stage on Sunday morning in Garrycastle, with the playing of the Cup and Shield finals. On a lovely dry, cool, morning, 37 players turned out for their respective teams, and provided an excellent morning's football, cheered on by a large appreciative crowd.

In the Cup final, it was Lorraine Gaynor's "Dragons" up against the form team of the tournament so far, Ger O'Donoghue's "Lions". This game started at a frentic pace, with the "Lions" pushing hard right from the start and tacking up a number of early scores. However, as half-time approached, the "Dragons" fought back into the game to narrow the gap. As the second half started, it was obvious that the "Lions" were in no humour to give up the game, and despite their best efforts, the "Dragons" had to yield on the day.

In the Shield final, Darragh Shine's "Tigers" lined up against Chris McKeon's "Sharks". This really was an evenly matched affair, with some really good attacking and defending on display. So close were the two teams that they could not be separated at the end of the match, and for the first time ever, we had extra time in a street league final! However, even after playing the extra time, the teams still could not be separated, so a second period of extra time was played. Just when we thought that we would have to go to a "golden score" to separate the teams, the "Tigers" struck, to take the Shield honours, after an absolutely enthralling game.

So the Cup honours for 2014 go to the "Lions", with the "Tigers" taking the Shield honours.

After the games, the teams were congratulated on their effort and performances by club Chairman Terry Larkin, and were all presented with their trophies by Senior Garrycastle players John Gaffey and Padraig Cosgrove.

This ends our Summer Street League for 2014. Well done to all the players who took part, to the mentors and parents who looked after the teams, and many thanks to all those who turned out to cheer on the teams over the last month.

Details of teams, matches to date and final table is available on the Summer Street League page.

Under-14 Div. 1B [31 May 2014]

Garrycastle 2-05, Moate All-Whites 0-03

Our U14s got back to winning ways last Thursday night at home against Moate with a comfortable win. Having to line out without a number of our more established players on the night the team was radically changed from previous games and no doubt because of this we were slow to settle on a wet and greasy surface. We dominated possession throughout the first half courtesy of Eoin Mulvihill and Dara Mulvihill in midfield but could not get the scores due to a combination of the wet underfoot conditions and poor decisions in front of goal.

Playing into the wind in the second half the lads upped their game and a fine goal from Jack Fitzgerald which was his just reward for a fine display was the highlight of the half in a game that Garrycastle were always on top.

Panel V Moate.

Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan, Owen Keogh, Robert Kelly, Daragh Kenna, Mathias O Neill, Dylan Keegan, Eoin Mulvihill, Dara Mulvihill, Robert O Brien, Andrew Monaghan, Cillian Lyons, Feargal Mullin, Jack Fitzgerald, Mark Kelly, Dean Reynolds.

(Match Report: John Ruane)

Under-8 County Blitz (in Caulry) [24 May 2014]

The Garrycastle under-8 squad travelled the short distance to Caulry on Saturday morning to participate in the latest round of the Westmeath County Under-8 blitzes. On a very miserable wet morning, 22 players made the trip allowing Garrycastle to field two teams on the day. Each team played two matches, and altogether we played Caulry, Maryland/Tang and Athlone.

In the first round of games, Garrycastle played against near neighbours Athlone and Caulry, emerging successful in both matches. In the second round of games, we played Maryland/Tang with a similar outcome.

Overall, this was another encouraging set of displays from this age group. The focus on the basics of the game is starting to show dividends, with some excellent catching, blocking and tackling on display. This was also the first match for Garrycastle for four players, Kealan McNamara, Callum Hudson, Harry Daniel and Ryan Carberry, and hopefully it will just be the first of many such appearances for all of them in the green-and-red colours.

Picture slide show is now available on the Under-8 webpage.

Well done to all who attended and played with such enthusuiasm and effort on the morning.

Training continues on Monday at 6:30pm, and our club under-8 street leagues continue on Wednesdays at the same time.

Squad on the day:

Cian Norris, Sean O'Donoghue, Andrew Henson, Niadh Shine, Tom Sheehan, Oisin Deehan, James McHugh, Evan Turley, Harry Daniel, Callum Hudson, Gearoid McCarthy, Brandon Devaney, Jack Allen, Kealan McNamara, Aaron Keegan, Kyle Greene, Dylan Frawley, Oisin O'Donoghue, Rian Gaynor, Dean Grehan, Ryan Carberry, Van McCay.

(Match report: William Leahy)

Under-14 Féile Peil na nÓg Semi-Final [17 May 2014]


Our U14s fine run in this years Feile competition came to an end when they were beaten by a physically stronger Athlone team on Thursday night. The lads were very disappointed afterwards but should take comfort from the fact that it has been 11 years since a Garrycastle team got that far in the competition and getting to the last four is a fine achievement.

The game was played in front of a big crowd in Pairc Ciaran in glorious weather and with a bit more composure in front of goals from our forwards the game could have been closer. With 10 of the panel eligible for next year, this years experience can only help them in the 2015 Feile. A fine Athlone team were certainly very deserved winners but the concession of 3 late goals was harsh on Garrycastle given their efforts on the night. The lads are back in action this Thursday, May 22nd with a home game against Moate in the league which will give them the opportunity to put the disappointment of losing this game behind them.

Panel on Duty on the night:

Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan, Mathias O Neill, Daragh Mulvihill, Dylan Keegan, Cillian Lyons, Andrew Monaghan, Eoin Mulvihill, Joe Carmody, Robert O Brien, Jason Nugent, Brian Ruane, Feargal Mullin, Robert Kelly, Charlie O'Connor, Jack Fitzgerald, Ian Carroll, Mark Kelly, Tommy Stephens.

(Match Report: John Ruane)

Under-14 Féile Peil na nÓg [13 May 2014]


Garrycastle U14s qualified for the Feile semi final after a comfortable win away to St Malachys on Monday evening. Their reward is a last four game against Athlone away on this Thursday 15th at 7pm in Pairc Ciaran. The game was won effectively in a 10 minute spell just before half time where the lads played some great football resulting in goals from Brian Ruane,Robert O Brien and two from Jason Nugent to give us a 4-02 to 0-02 lead at half time. Another goal from Brian 10 minutes into the second half followed by two quick points from Eoin Mulvihill killed the game off.

We would like as much support as possible on Thursday evening to cheer the lads on. So if you are around Athlone, Pairc Ciaran is the place to be.

The winners of our game play the winners of the other semi final which features St Lomans and Mullingar Shamrocks.

(Match Report: John Ruane)

Under 16 League (Division 2) [12 May 2014]


Garrycastle hosted the joint leaders of the division in Garrycastle last Monday evening and put up a determined display to push St Malachys/Ballinagore all the way in an entertaining game. Garrycastle got off to a bright start and took the lead in the 4th minute when Cathal Mannion converted a penalty, awarded for a foul on Oisin Langan, to register a goal. It took the visitors all of 14 minutes to register their first score, a pointed free. However, this was to signal a period of dominance from St Malachys/Ballinagore and they followed up with a pointed free and a goal in the next few attacks. Cathal Mannion was on the mark again for Garrycastle with a point from a close range free in the 19thminute. St Malachys/Ballinagore then registered a point and two quick fire goals pushed them further ahead. The visitors added another point but Garrycastle replied with a goal scored by Eoghan Kenny, who had just replaced the injured Jack O’Connor in the 24th minute. Garycastle had further chances to raise a green flag but hit the woodwork twice in the space of a minute. St Malachys/Ballinagore had a point from a free right on the stroke of half time to lead by 3-5 to 2-1 at the break.

A fine point from Colm Lynch gave Garrycastle the perfect start to the second period. However, St Malachys/Ballinagore replied with a point of their own. Garrycastle then had their best period of the game in an attacking sense with points from Cathal Mannion and Philip Monaghan to reduce the arrears. Two wonderful points from distance by Oisin Langan reduced the margin to just 3 points by the 43rd minute. St Malachys/Ballinagore added a point but Javiar Marrodian got on the end of a good attack to goal for Garrycastle and reduce the gap to just a point. However, that was as close the Garrycastle lads got and a stronger St Malachys/Ballinagore outfit finished the game in style. They added five unanswered point in the closing stages to run out winners by 3-12 to 3-6.

This was a very good display by Garrycastle, despite the defeat. The lads showed great heart and determination to battle back and with a bit more composure in front of goal and a little bit of luck could have pulled off a surprise result. There were good displays by all concerned but special mention should be made of the displays by Bill Kelly, Caolan Jameson, Ross Mulvihill, Oisin Langan, Colm Lynch, Javiar Marrodian and Philip Monaghan. If the lads show this type of form in the upcoming championship they can make good progress.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, Bill Kelly, Caolan Jameson, Ross Mulvihill, Brian Leahy, Sean Mulvihill, Conor Mulvihill, Cathal Mannion (1-2, 1-0 pen, 0-1f), Oisin Langan (0-2), Colm Lynch (0-1), Philip Monaghan (0-1), Javiar Marrodian (1-0), Colm Henry and Jack O’Connor.SUBS: Eoghan Kenny (1-0) for J O’Connor (24 min).

(Report by Matt Ryan)

Under-14 League Div. 1B [9 May 2014]


Our U14s made the short trip to Mount Temple to take on Caulry on Thursday last 8th May and came away with the 2 league points on offer. With only 16 lads available on the night the team showed great spirit particularly in the last 10 minutes to close out the game. This was their 4th win in a row and whilst they have played some great football at times over the last two weeks they are fully aware they need to improve for bigger tests ahead starting with the Feile quarter final on Monday next.

Playing with the advantage of the wind in the first half we built up a decent score of 1-08 at half time through excellent work from Jason Nugent, Eoin Mulvihill and Joe Carmody. However this work was partly undone by conceding 2-02 to Caulry by sloppy defensive play in the first period.

To their credit the lads upped the workrate in the second half after a brief few words from management at half time and would have ran out more comfortable winners but for hitting the cross bar twice and also the posts twice.

Apart from those mentioned their were also fine displays on the night from Patrick McKiernan, Dara Mulvihill and Daragh Kenna.

Under 16 League (Division 2) [5 May 2014]


Garrycastle made the journey to Springfield on Bank Holiday Monday but came away without any points in a game played in a downpour throughout most of the match.

The home side had a point on the board in their first attack, however, Garrycastle replied with a point from Colm Lynch. The home side dominated possession and hit over a succession of points to lead by seven mid-way through the half. Garrycastle did have couple of opportunities for goals but a combination of good defending and indecisive finishing yielded nothing. Garrycastle began to get a foothold in the game and a goal from Colm Lynch brought them right back into it. Points from Eoghan Kenny and Philip Monaghan added to their tally as the half time whistle approached. However, Garrycastle were hit by a body blow when Mullingar Shamrocks broke up field in injury time and goaled to leave it 1-8 to 1-3 at the break.

Conor Mulvihill pointed for Garrycastle on the resumption but Mullingar Shamrocks replied with yet another goal to stretch their lead further. A third Mullingar goal in the 39th minute all but settled the result and they added a point and two quick fire goals to move even further ahead by the mid-point of the half. Mullingar continued to dominate and added two points to their tally. Garrycastle rallied in the closing tem minutes and goals from Ross Mulvihill and Javiar Marrodian put a better gloss on the scoreboard. It could have been even more, as goal bound shots from Owen Mulvihill and Colm Lynch were brilliantly saved by the Mullingar goalie towards the end. Mullingar did add points in the closing minutes and ran out winners on a score-line of 5-13 to 3-4.

Despite defeat the Garrycastle lads showed great heart and fought back strongly towards the end of each half. However, they will need to start with more purpose and sustain their efforts throughout the entire hour. There were good performances from Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson and Sean Mulvihill in defence. Cathal Mannion tried hard throughout. Owen Mulvihill, Colm Lynch and Javiar Marrodian caused many problems for the home defence.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Jack Brody, Oisin Langan, Sean Mulvihill, Conor Mulvihill (0-1), Cathal Mannion, Owen Mulvihill, Colm Lynch (1-1), Ross Mulvihill (1-0), Eoghan Kenny (0-1), Javiar Marodian (1-0) and Philip Monaghan (0-1).

SUBS: Gonzalo Garcia for Eoghan Kenny.

(Report by Matt Ryan)

Under-8 County Blitz (in Tubberclair) [3 May 2014]

The Garrycastle Under-8 squad travelled to near neighbours Tubberclair on Saturday, to take part in the under-8 county blitz, alongside teams from the host club, Athlone, Castledaly, Caulry and Maryland/Tang.

Due to confirmations, and the bank holiday weekend, it was a reduced panel available, but we still had 24 players make the trip, allowing three teams to be fielded on the day, with each team playing two matches.

The first Garrycastle team, managed on the day by Ger O'Donoghue, played against Athlone and Tubberclair, and was successful in both games. Not to be outdone, the second Garrycastle team, managed on the day by Karl Henson, played against Maryland/Tang and Caulry, and also was successful in both games. The third Garrycastle team, managed on the day by Lorraine Gaynor, played against the second teams from Tubberclair and Caulry, winning against Tubberclair in the first game, while narrowly losing against Caulry in the second game.

Overall, a great display by this young Garrycastle squad. Some great positives can be taken from the day - we are seeing much improved skill from this group, especially in the pick-up, and hand-passing, as well as some fantastic tackling and marking.

Well done to all who attended and represented their club with such distinction. Many thanks to Ger, Karl and Lorraine for managing the teams on the day.

Under-14 League Div. 1B [3 May 2014]


Our U14s had a very comfortable win last Thursday evening, (May 1st), in group 1B of the league against Tyrellspass. Despite having to field without a few regulars due to injury and lads being away it was a very good team performance that saw Garrycastle dominate from the start and go on to win by 9-12 to 1-02.

In an overall solid team performance there were standout displays on the night from Mathias O Neill, Robert O Brien and Cillian Lyons that deserve special mention.

Our next game is away against Caulry in the league on Thursday 8th followed by the Feile quarter final against St Malachys/Ballinagore away on Monday 12th.


Dean Reynolds, Jack Fitzgerald, Ian Carroll, Robert Kelly, Mark Kelly, Jason Nugent, Dylan Keegan, Andrew Monaghan, Mathias O Neill, Dara Mulvihill, Daragh Kenna, Joe Carmody, Feargal Mullin, Robert O Brien, Patrick McKiernan, Eoin Mulvihill, Owen Keogh, Daniel Guinan, Charlie O Connor, Ryan Cornally, Brian Ruane.

(Match Report : John Ruane)

Minor League Div. 2 [27 April 2014]


Milltownpass opened the stronger team with 2 points ( one from a free) and a wide on the board before the first Garrycastle point, a free from Kenny Dolan. Kenny again scored the next point after good play from Carhal, Mark Duffy and Darragh McCormack. A further Garrycastle attack proved fruitless when a high ball from Eric McCormack was too far for Kenny and went wide. Milltownpass had the upper hand for a while after this, in a period which saw them score 2 points and Shane McEnery needing to make a good save to prevent them going further ahead. It was looking good for G'castle when Eric Kearney scored a goal but for much of the rest of the half, Milltownpass were the stronger in attack coming forward time after time from wing back, resulting in a goal and 3 points without reply. The situation could have been worse though but for a good save by Ben Kennedy in the goalmouth and some good defensive work by the back line in this period. Garrycastle got one back with a free from Cathal Mannion which followed play from Eric Kearney via Kenny Dolan. Milltownpass scored a point at the other end almost immediately and followed up with another from a free. Kevin McCormack came on as a blood sub for Eric Kearney and was involved in an attacking run which led to a free taken by Cathal Mannion which was put over the bar by Kenny Dolan. The next attack by Milltownpass was a dangerous one but a blistering shot was knocked over the bar by Shane McEnery. Miltownpass kept attacking strongly, driving one ball wide and finishing with a good goal from their no 7. The final score of the half was a good point from Cian Hayden.

For the second half, it was a vastly different Garrycastle team which took to the field, with a number of positional changes, with Ben Kennedy now at mid field and Eric McCormack at corner back. Garrycastle started the scoring with a point from Kenny, following work from Bill Kelly and Cathal Mannion. Milltownpass responded with a point. An intercept from Eric McCormack started a Garrycastle attack which led to a period of sustained Garrycastle attack and a number of 45s in succession, as Eoin Duignan kicked into the square from the 45 metre line only to have them knocked out to ensure another such kick. It seemed nothing would go right for Garrycastle as Milltownpass eventually went back down the field to put another point over. A great attack by Mark Duffy resulted in a free dropped into the square with the resulting score denied as a "square ball" . Mark scored a lovely point later though, followed by a mighty point from Ben Kennedy. Milltownpass attacked again resulting in a wide and then a point which was guided over the bar by Shane McEnery. When Kenny Dolan found the net after a great ball in from Ben, Garrycastle realised that they were in with a chance and the next Milltownpass point was answered with a goal from Eric Kearney. A point by Frank Farrell and further goals from Cathal Mannion and Mark Duffy followed moves that involved all of the forwards, building on good work from the half-back line. Further strong attacks came to nothing and Milltownpass put up two more points. 2 points from Kenny (one from a free) and a pointed free from Cathal saw Garrycastle run out victors of a thrilling match. Kevin McCormack came on midway through the second half as sub for Ronan Mulvihill who had battled hard at wing back. Kevin was instrumental in the attack leading to the third goal. Ronan was soon back on for Darragh McCormack.


Shane McEnery, Adam Keena, Darragh Brody, Ben Kennedy (0-1), Ronan Mulvihill, Frank Farrell (0-1), Bill Kelly, Eric Kearney (2-0), Eric McCormack, Cathal Mannion (1-2, 0-2f), Cian Hayden (0-1), Mark Duffy (1-1), Darragh McCormack, Kenny Dolan (1-6, 0-2f), Eoin Duignan

Sub: Kevin McCormack for Ronan Mulvihill.

(Match Report: Marie Leahy)

Under 16 League (Division 2) [24 April 2014]


Garrycastle were unfortunate to suffer their second loss of the week in a high scoring encounter with Shannon Gaels (a combination of Maryland/Tang and Tubberclair) in Tubberclair last Thursday evening.

Garrycastle made a bright start and had points from Conor Macken and Philip Monaghan in the opening exchanges. Shannon Gaels came back strongly and had their opening point from a free and then added two more points from open play to lead by the mid-point of the half. Garrycastle rallied again and a goal from Cathal Mannion after very good approach play put the visitors ahead again. Garrycastle added two more points from Cathal Mannion before a second Garrycastle goal came courtesy of Colm Henry when he reacted quickest to the rebound from a save by the Shannon Gaels keeper. In their next attack Garrycastle had a point from Cathal Mannion and lead by 2-5 to 0-3 at the break.

Shannon Gaels made a number of substitutions at the break and had a point and a goal registered in the opening minutes. Philip Monaghan fired over a point for Garrycastle in response. Another point followed by a goal for Shannon Gaels reduced the margin to just a point in Garrycastle’s favour by the 38th minute. Philip Monaghan pointed again for Garrycastle following good team play by the visitors. A third goal for Shannon Gaels was quickly replied to by a goal from Colm Henry to leave Garrycastle a point ahead The next period of play was decisive. Colm Henry struck the post with a fine shot and the ball ran along the goal-line but was cleared up-field and Shannon Gaels goaled again to jump into the lead. Cathal Mannion responded with a point for Garycastle but a decisive goal from the home side extended their lead and they added appoint soon after. Colm Henry had a point as time ran out when his shot flashed just over the bar. The final score was 5-8 to 3-9 in Shannon Gael’s favour.

Despite defeat the Garrycastle lads can be very proud of their performances. They played some excellent football throughout and in particular in the first half and can look forward with confidence to the remaining fixtures. They came under severe pressure in the second period but showed great heart and determination. Despite the concession of five goals the entire full back line were brilliant with fine support from Bill Kelly and Oisin Langan. Conor Mulvihill and Cathal Mannion (who retired injured near the end) gave everything for the team. Conor Macken, Philip Monaghan and Colm Henry were most prominent in attack. Substitutes Jack Brody and Eoin Kenny also played their part.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Oisin Langan, Bill Kelly, Sean Mulvihill, Conor Mulvihill, Cathal Mannion (1-4), Conor Macken (0-1), Colm Lynch, Ross Mulvihill, Philip Monaghan (0-3), Colm Henry (2-1) and Jack O’Connor.

SUBS: Jack Brody and Eoghan Kenny.

(Report by Matt Ryan)

Minor League Div. 2 [23 April 2014]


The Garrycastle Minor team played their first match of the year in poor weather conditions in Garrycastle on Wednesday evening. Showing little sign of the long winter layoff, Garrycastle started brightly, with a point from Mark Duffy. Better was to follow, with Frank Farrell goaling when played through by Darragh McCormack. Two pointed frees by Ken Dolan left Garrycastle well in charge by the end of the first quarter. St. Mary's struggled to get into the game, but opened their account with a goal following a mistake in the Garrycastle back line, and quickly added two points from play to narrow the deficit. As the heavens opened, both teams struggled in the poor conditions, and the game got very scrappy. Two further points from Ken, were responded to in kind by St. Mary's, before right on the stroke of half-time, a high teasing ball from Sean Kilgarriff was knocked down by Eoin Duignan to the waiting Ken Dolan who finished sharply to the net. Garrycastle up by four points at the break, on a scoreline of 2-6 to 1-5.

As the second half opened, a foul by Eric McCormack resulted in a yellow card. Shortly afterwards, Ken pointed another free, before a warning of what was to come when a St. Mary's forward, breaking straight through, blasted over for a point when a goal would have seemed more likely. Worse was to follow as Garrycastle failed to score for the next 20 minutes. Indeed, St. Mary's took over toally during this time, adding a goal on the 10-minutes mark, and adding two further points from play, to lead by a single point going into the last 10 minutes.

A further point from St. Mary's was followed by a very well taken goal, giving Shane McEnery in the Garrycastle goal no chance. Another point from play was followed by an excellent stop by Shane, pushing the ball onto the upright and away. However, the respite was temporary, with another lapse in defence allowing the St. Mary's wing forward in for another goal.

This finally was the signal for the Garrycastle team to get back into the game, and an unstoppable shot from Sean, when played in by Cathal Mannion signalled the start of the comeback. Within a minute, Garrycastle had another goal, finished to the net by Cathal following a goalmouth scramble. With only a goal separating the teams, Garrycastle had no fewer than 3 chances in the closing minutes to tie the game, but attempts to go for goal, against a packed defence, proved unsuccessful.

Overall, this was a game that Garrycastle will be disappointed to have lost, failing to build on a good half-time lead, and fading out badly in the third quarter.


Shane McEnery, Adam Keena, Darragh Brody, Ben Kennedy, Bill Kelly, Frank Farrell (1-0), Sean Kilgarriff (1-0), Eric McCormack, Cian Hayden, Cathal Mannion (1-1, 0-1f), Mark Duffy (0-1), Darragh McCormack, Eoin Duignan, Liam Leahy, Ken Dolan (1-5, 0-3f).

Subs: Ronan Mulvihill for Eoin Duignan (45 mins).

(Match Report : William Leahy)

Under 16 League (Division 2) [21 April 2014]


Garrycastle had to yield to a very good Moate AW side in Moate last Bank Holiday Monday, in a game played in sunny conditions.

The home side had the better of the early exchanges and had a pointed free within a couple of minutes and added two further scores by the 6th minute. Garrycastle responded with a good attack and a shot was parried by the Moate goalie and broke to Colm Henry but his effort flashed just over the bar for a point. Moate still had the upper-hand and added a three more points to their tally. The home side registered the game’s first goal in the 21st minute when a shot from distance crept in just under the Garrycastle bar. Garrycastle responded in style to that setback and had appoint from Oisin Langan and then a goal of their own when Ross Mulvihill was quickest to react when the Moate goalie saved a shot on goal and found the back of the net from the rebound. The home side had the final point of the first half just before the break to lead by 1-7 to 1-2.

Moate started the second half in determined fashion and added four points to their total in the opening minutes. Cathal Mannion was on target with a point for Garrycastle but Moate had a point in reply. Moate got a second goal mid-way through the second half to put them firmly in control. A point from a free by Cathal Mannion reduced the margin. Moate had another period of dominance and registered a couple of points. Cathal Mannion had a final point Moate finished the scoring with a brace of points near the end to leave it 2-16to 1-5 at the final whistle.

There were good performance in defence by Mark Denby, Caolan Jameson and Bill Kelly. Conor Miulvihill and Cathal Mannion worked tirelessly in midfield. Jack O’Connor, Colm Lynch and Ross Mulvihill were most prominent in attack.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, , Bill Kelly, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Oisin Langan (0-1), Sean Mulvihill, Conor Mulvihill (0-1), Cathal Mannion (0-2, 1f), Ross Mulvihill (1-0), Colm Lynch, Philip Monaghan, Conor Macken, Colm Henry (0-1) and Jack O’Connor.

SUBS: Eoin Mulvihill for S Mulvihill; Brian Kenny for C Macken and Eoghan Kenny for C Henry.

(Report by Matt Ryan)

Under 16 League (Division 2) [14 April 2014]


Garrycastle secured their first points in the league with a well deserved win over Coralstown/Kinnegad in sun drenched Garrycastle last Monday evening. Coralstown/Kinnegad only travelled with 13 players, so both sides agreed to play a 13-a—side game.

Garrycastle were quickly into their stride and registered a point in the 5th minute from Jack O’Connor. The game’s first goal arrived soon after as Conor Mulvihill was on the end of a flowing move to score smartly. Jack O’Connor had a second point for the home side as they continued to have the lion’s share of possession. Cathal Mannion pointed soon after and a second Garrycastle goal was scored by Jack O’Connor in the 13th minute. The same player soon had his second goal, and Garrycastle’s third, in the 18th minute. Coralstown/Kinnegad registered their first score, a goal, in the 23rd minute and added a second goal a couple of minutes later to leave it 3-3 to 2-0 at the break.

The second half was a more even affair with both sides finding it difficult to convert chances. Ross Mulvihill pointed for Garrycastle but Coralstown/Kinnegad responded with two points of their own. Colm Henry was on the mark for Garrycastle and Jack O’Connor got his third point of the game to stretch his side’s advantage. Coralstown/Kinnegad had a point from a close range free but Garrycastle upped the tempo again and a goal from substitute, Colm Lynch who was making his Garrycastle bebut, after excellent approach work put the result beyond doubt with just 10 minutes remaining. Cathal Mannion completed the scoring soon after and Garrycastle were deserved winners on a scoreline of 4-7 to 2-3.

There were excellent performance by the lads and in particular in defence from Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson and Bill Kelly. Conor Mulvihill and Cathal Mannion were on top in midfield throughout. Jack O’Connor took the scoring plaudits and was well supported in attack by Ross Mulvihill, Jack Brody (who retired with a hand injury) and Colm Lynch.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Bill Kelly, Sean Mulvihill, Conor Mulvihill (1-0), Cathal Mannion (0-2), Philip Monaghan, Ross Mulvihill (0-1), Jack Brody, Conor Macken, Jack O’Connor (2-3).

SUBS: Colm Lynch (1-0) for J Brody; Colm Henry for C Macken; Eoin Mulvihill for S Mulvihill; Brian Kenny for J O’Connor and Eoghan Kenny for P Monaghan.

(Report by Matt Ryan)

Under 16 League (Division 2) [31 March 2014]

Athlone 4-11 Garrycastle 1-5

Garrycastle got their league campaign off to a start against our near neighbours, Athlone, last Monday night in Garrycastle. It was the visitors who made the better start and had a point on the board within the first minute of play. Athone doubled their lead soon after but Garrycastle registered a point from a free by Philip Monaghan in the 6th minute. Athlone enjoyed more possession and got the first goal of the game in the 10th minute following some hesitant defending by Garycastle. Athlone registered two further goals in quick succession to lead by 3-1 to 0-1 by the mid-point of the half. The visitors added three points in the next period before Philip Monaghan got his and Garrycastle’s second point from a free. Cathal Mannion added a point from play almost immediately and this was added to by a point from open play by Conor Macken in Garrycastle’s best period of the opening half. Matthew McBride prevented a goal with a fine save at the expense of a 45. However, in their next attack Athlone broke through for a fourth goal to leave it 4-5 to 0-4 at the break.

Athlone rattled off three points in the opening 5 minutes of the second half to stretch their lead even further. Garrycastle had an improved performance and began to create some scoring opportunities. Cathal Mannion goaled from the penalty spot in the 37th minute. Matthew McBride brought off a number of important saves but Athlone did get through for a number of points. Garrycastle pressed forward and were rewarded with a point from Philip Monaghan to leave it 4-11 to 1-5 at the end.

There were some good performances from Garrycastle, despite the one sided score-line.Mathew McBride, Sean Mulvihill, Caolan Jameson and Bill Kelly tried their best. Philip Monaghan, Ross Mulvihill impressed with limited possession.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, Sean Mulvihill, Caolan Jameson, Oisin Langan, Bill Kelly, Brian Leahy, Conor Mulvihill, Cathal Mannion (1-1, 1-0 pen), Jack Brody, Ross Mulvihill, Philip Monaghan (0-3, 2f), Jack O’Connor, Javiar Marrodian and Conor Macken.

SUBS: Brian Kenny for M Denby; Gonzalo Garcia for J Marrodian; Eoin Kenny for C Macken; Eoin Mulvihill for J Brody.

(Report by Matt Ryan)