Match Reports Juvenile

Under-16 Boys, Division 2 Semi-Final [30 September 2018]

Garrycastle 1-05, Moate All-Whites 1-13

Garrycastles under-16 championship run came to an end on Sunday last, when we were defeated by Moate All Whites on a scoreline of 1-13 to 1-5 in the Division 2 County Semi-Final.

Although the scoreline would suggest a one sided affair this was far from the case. In fact Garrycastle led this game by 2 points with 15 minutes to go, and were desperately unlucky not to add to this lead after owning most of the possession in the second half. Ultimately a two point lead was not enough. and a Moate purple patch saw them score a quick fire 1-2 to take the lead again with only minutes remaining.

This was enough to see the home team take their place in the final.

The early stages of the first half was an even affair with both teams trading scores, the Garrycastle scores coming from Ben Kilkenny and some excellent frees from Tommy Stephens. Moate seemed to be the livelier team in the closing stages of the first half and rattled off some quick fire points to take a half time lead of 0-6 to 0-3.

Garrycastle came out of the traps very quickly in the second half and with the defence getting on top and midfield taking control, the Garrycastle team quickly wrestled back the Moate advantage with a goal from Ben Kilkenny and further points from Tommy and Dermot Carey, putting us 2 points to the good. It was here that Garrycastle could not capitalise further and some good chances went a begging.

Moate took full advantage of this and 2 points brought them level. A Moate goal with minutes remaining was a killer blow for Garrycastle, and with the momentum completely switched, there looked to be only one winner at this stage. Moate added further scores in stoppage time to run out winners on a scoreline of 1-13 to 1-5.

Overall a very good year for our under-16s and plenty to build on for next season. Well done to all the lads for a super effort especially in that second half when facing into a 3 point deficit and a strong breeze. They faced a difficult task and fought so bravely to get themselves back into the game.


Cian McCarty, John Dylan O'Shea, Cian Dowling, Adam Mulvihill, Unity Oviawe, Dermot Carey, Cathal Redmond, Tommy Stephens, Daniel McManus, Ryan Cornally, Ben Kilkenny, James Murphy, Nathan Breslin, Charlie O Connor, Luke Clinton.

Subs: Stephen Gaffey, Corey Nugent, Conor Donoghue, Eric Rogers (injured).

Minor Football Championship (Div 2) Final [29 September 2018]

TUBBERCLAIRE 2-14 GARRYCASTLE 1-13 (after extra time)

Disappointment was to be Garrycastle’s lot in the division 2 minor championship final played in Ballynacargy last Saturday afternoon, when going down to Tubberclair after extra time. There was a tricky breeze blowing across the pitch which seemed to cause problems for both sets of forwards early on. Garrycastle started brightly and a pointed free by Joe Carmody followed by a point from play by Brian Ruane put the boys in green and red into the lead in the opening minutes. Tubberclair responded with two pointed frees to level matters soon after. A point from Andrew Monaghan from play put the Garrycastle lads ahead again by the 12th minute. Tubberclair had a number of opportunities, both from open play and frees, to draw level but failed to find the target. They did however equalise with yet another pointed free by the 20th minute. Garrycastle had their best period of the game in the final third of the first half, with a pointed free from Joe Carmody, and a second point from Brian Ruane. As the half time drew close, Joe Carmody pointed yet again from play and a flowing attack from Garrycastle resulted in the game’s first green flag as Joe Carmody converted almost on the stroke of half time. The Garrycastle lads ahead by 1-6 to 0-3 at the break.

On the resumption Garrycastle registered the first score, a point from Andrew Monaghan. However, Tubberclair then began to exert significant pressure on the Garrycastle goal and were rewarded with a pointed free in the 35th minute. A Tubberclair point in the 38th minute was their first from open play and they followed up with two more pointed frees to reduce the gap to just a goal. Dylan Keegan, who had picked up an injury shortly beforehand, did contribute a point for Garrycastle with a fisted effort before being replaced. Tubberclair pointed a free but Garrycastle responded with a pointed free for Joe Carmody. As the game entered added time, Tubberclair pointed to leave just a goal between the sides and Garrycastle hearts sank when the referee awarded Tubberclair a penalty in the second minute of added time. While Patrick McKieran did manage to get something on the penalty kick it did creep over the line to level the scores on 1-9 a piece at the final whistle, signalling two added period of 10 minutes.

It was Tubberclair who got off to a flier with a goal in the opening minute of extra time. They also added two pointed frees and one from open play during that period, while Garrycastle’s only score coming from a pointed free by Joe Carmody. Garrycastle pressed hard in the second period of extra time and did succeed in reducing the margin to just two points, with three points from Joe Carmody. However, they could not get the additional scores required and Tubberclair sealed their win with two pointed frees late on. The final score was 2-14 to 1-13 in their favour.

While the Garrycastle lads were very disappointed with the result, they can look back with some pride on their championship campaign. The defence was a solid unit throughout the final, restricting the winners to just three points from open play throughout 80 minutes of play. There were some good individual performances but Garrycastle did not play to their full potential throughout the game, particularly in the second half of normal time and the first period of extra time. Congratulations to Tubberclair on their win, made all the sweeter as they had lost out in the 2017 final to Caulry.

GARRYCASTLE: - Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan (Capt), Robert Kelly, Cathal Redmond, Fergal Mullin, Tommy Stephens, Cillian Lyons, Andrew Monaghan (0-2), Eoin Mulvihill, Brian Ruane (0-2), Jason Nugent, Matias O’Neill, Ian Carroll, Dylan Keegan (0-1), Joe Carmody (1-8, 0-5f).

SUBS:- Dara Kenna for I Carroll (16 Min); Charlie O’Connor for D Keegan (49 min); Ryan Cornally for D Kenna (59 Min); D Keegan for A Monaghan (extra time); Dara Mulvihill for J Nugent (extra time).

Subs not used: - Saumil Sharma, Tommy Devery and James Murphy.

Under-11 Boys League 'A' Final [28 September 2018]

Garrycastle 2-06, Mullingar Shamrocks 2-04

Excellent win tonight by our under-11 Garrycastle team who were crowned Under-11 "A" Westmeath champions. Huge effort from the boys tonight and unbeaten all year.

Very proud of these players.🏆 Captained by "Vantastic" Van McCay.


Aaron Keegan, Darragh Glennon, Conor McCormack, Niadh Shine, Oisin Mulvihill, Rian Gaynor, Calum Hudson, Cian Norris, Oisin O'Donoghue, Christopher Malone, Kealan McNamara, James McHugh, Van McCay (captain), Jack Dolan, Andrew Henson, Dylan Frawley.

Under-12 Jim McHugh Tournament : Cup Semi-Final [19 September 2018]

Garrycastle 4-11, Shandonagh 5-08

Shandonagh win after Extra Time and Free Kicks.

On the day when Storm Ali roared through the country, and with the match nearly having to be called off due to the strong winds, Garrycastle took on Shandonagh in the cup semi-final of this years Jim McHugh memorial tournament, with a place in the final to take on St. Marys Rochfortbridge as the prize.

Both Garrycastle and Shandonagh play a similar style of football, with the game played at speed and quick and accurate passing the name of the game. Due to the weather, both sides had to adapt their game to suit the conditions, and the wind in particular made scoring difficult. This was reflected on the scoreboard, as the home team had a number of chances in front of goal which were missed, that on another evening would have been scored. Throughout the first half, points were exchanged more or less evenly between the teams, but then just prior to the half-time break, Garrycastle finally got the breakthrough for their efforts, scoring a goal and a point in rapid succession. At the half-time whistle, Garrycastle were in front by 4 points.

The visitors started the second half the brighter, and with some strong running play, scored the opening three points to cut the Garrycastle lead to a single score. Then came a turning point, when Shandonagh goaled to move into the lead. To their credit, the Garrycastle players didn't panic at this reversal, and continued to run at the visitors defence, and continued to tip over the points to keep the scoreboard ticking. As the game entered the last five minutes of normal time, the home team trailed by four points, but a herculean final effort in this last five minutes yielded a goal and a point to leave the scores tied at the end of normal time.

After a short break, extra time, with 5-minutes each way started, and both teams put a mighty effort into winning out the game. In the last three minutes of extra time, it was Shandonagh who seemed to be in the driving seat, scoring two late goals. But, yet again, this Garrycastle team showed their strength of character, which has been on view for all of this year, and continued to run at the visitors, scoring a number of points to bring the scores level again as extra time was blown-up

By the rules of this competition, this meant that the game moved to free kicks, with each team having 5 attempts to kick points from the hand, from the 30 meter line. Now the conditions really came into play, as tired legs and a strong, gusty wind, placed havoc with the free takers. Of the 10 shots in total that were taken, only one was successfully converted, and that was to the Shandonagh team.

So heartbreak for the home team, who came so close to making the cup final, but congratulations to the Shandonagh team for a hard-won victory on the evening.

This was a great game of football to watch and both teams showed their football skills and how far they have come over the season. There were tears a-plenty shed at the end, but the players can hold their heads held high, as they put everything they had into the game, and left everything on the pitch.

The team management, and the club in general is extremely proud of this bunch of players, and with their effort and commitment throughout the year.

Huge thanks also to their parents, who have supported and encouraged them throughout the year.

The under-12 season is now over, but we still have an under-11 Westmeath 'A' league final at home late next week against Mullingar Shamrocks to look forward to. Hopefully we can finish the season on a winning note.

Squad on the evening:

Cian Norris, Anthony Mannion, Oisin Mulvihill, Kasey Mulvihill, Killian Keegan, David Carter, Niadh Shine,

Andrew Henson (1-0), Tom Sheehan (0-1), James McHugh (1-7), Sean O'Donoghue (0-1), Aaron Keegan (0-1),

Nathan McKeon (1-1), Brandon Devaney, Kealan McNamara, Van McCay, Rian Gaynor, Jack Dolan, Calum Hudson,

Dylan Frawley, Darragh Glennon (1-0)

Under-12 Jim McHugh Tournament [14 September 2018]

Garrycastle 0-13, St. Lomans 1-04

We played St. Loman's in the final match in Group-A of this years Jim McHugh memorial tournament, and with both ourselves and St. Loman's unbeaten going into the match, it was a winner-takes-all opportunity, with the winner qualifying for the Cup semi-finals, while the loser would have to settle for the Shield semi-finals.

The game started off at a blistering pace, with the Garrycastle team attacking and scoring within the first few seconds. However, the St. Loman's team responded immediately with a score of their own. Scores were traded between the teams in what was a very competitive game, with some strong tackling, and hits given and taken throughout the first half. Overall, Garrycastle were on top in the first half, but were wasteful with some easy chances in front of goal that would have been scored on another evening. As half-time approached, the St. Loman's team scored a late goal and point to leave the half-time score at St. Loman's 1-02 to Garrycastle 0-07.

The second half started in the same way as the first half had ended, with some fine moves up and down the pitch from both teams, but now the Garrycastle team were more clinical in front of the posts, and extended their lead by kicking over a few unanswered points. St. Loman's were working the ball down the pitch and trying for goals but our backline stood strong and denied them. This was by far the most physical challenge the players have had all year, and will surely stand to them going forward.

The game ended with a victory for Garrycastle, on a scoreline of Garrycastle 0-13 to St. Loman's 1-04.

As the players walked off the field at the end of the game, all the parents in the stand gave our boys a huge round of applause, as they saw they had left everything on the field.

With this result, Garrycastle topped group-A in the competition, and a cup semi-final awaits against Shandonagh next week. In effect, this will be a double header as we are also playing for an under-12 county league title. All support will be greatly appreciated.


Conor McCormack, Cian Norris, Anthony Mannion, Oisin Mulvihill, Rian Gaynor, Kealan McNamara, David Carter, Niadh Shine, Andrew Henson, Tom Sheehan (0-2), James McHugh (0-7), Sean O'Donoghue (0-3), Aaron Keegan, Dylan Frawley (0-1), Nathan McKeon, Brandan Devaney, Van McCay, Christopher Malone, Jack Dolan, Calum Hudson, Paddy Stephens, Darragh Glennon.

Under-12 (Jim McHugh Memorial Tournament) [10 September 2018]

Garrycastle 2-27 Cill Óige 1-00

The Garrycastle under-12 team played their second match in the league part of the Jim McHugh tournament in garrycastle on Monday evening, against Cill Óige, which is a combined Rosemount and Castledaly side. On a perfect evening for football we had 22 togged out in the Red and Green.

From the outset, the Garrycastle team dominated this game all over the pitch, giving the visitors no chance to make an impact. There were some excellent team scores taken by the home side, but there were also a large number of wides in front of goal, which could prove costly in a tighter game.

Overall, though, this was a great squad performance, with all players present getting to play part of the game. Probably to be expected, a little bit of complacency set in as the game progressed, and the Garrycastle players over carried the ball on occasion, when a faster pass would have reaped better rewards. In addition, the marking at times was lax, and so despite the comfortable win, there are still some things to work on in training.

Garrycastle panel on the evening: Conor McCormack, Cian Norris, Kasey Mulvihill, Oisin Mulvihill, Van McCay, Rian Gaynor, Killian Keegan (0-1), David Carter (0-2), Niadh Shine, Andrew Henson (0-6), Sean O'Donoghue (0-2), Tom Sheehan (0-1), Aaron Keegan (0-5), James McHugh (0-3), Kealan McNamara, Dylan Frawley, Nathan McKeon (1-1), Anthony Mannion (1-0), Jack Dolan (0-2), Christopher Malone, Calum Hudson (0-2), Darragh Glennon (0-2).

Under-12 Jim McHugh Tournament [1 September 2018]

Caulry 0-07, Garrycastle 3-12

The Garrycastle under-12 team started their challenge for honours in the Jim McHugh Tournament with an away game in Caulry on Friday evening. With a very strong wind blowing down the field favoring the home team in the early stages of the game, Caulry started strongly, putting over three points in quick succession. The Garrycastle team seemed to be in a nervous mood, and could not get to the pace of the game, making a lot of unforced errors, which in not usual for this group.

This was a new experience for this team of talented players, but gradually they settled down into the game, and started to play with a little more confidence,moving the ball smartly through the hands up the pitch, and opened their account with a point after 10 minutes. With confidence growing now, much more possession was being won, and used effectively. The home team, though, were definitely on top during the opening half, but inaccuracy in front of the posts cost them dearly, as the Garrycastle team took advantage of the limited chances to come their way to take a narrow lead into the half-time break.

At the midpoint, the score was Caulry 0-4, Garrycastle 0-6.

Garrycastle were much the brighter team as the second half started, and now playing with the benefit of the strong wind, started to score some excellent long-range points to open up a good lead. After a number of chances went unused, the Garrycastle forwards eventually breached the home teams defence, and score two goals in quick succession. This looked to have ended the game as a contest, but to their credit, the home team came back strongly, and laid siege on the Garrycastle goal for the last five minutes of the match. However, try as they might, the Garrycastle backs would not yield any scores easily, and the home teams reward for their pressure was a couple of late points.

The final score was Caulry 0-07, Garrycastle 3-12.

The final scoreline does not in anyway reflect on how close this game was, and the Garrycastle team can be thankful that the home team forwards were not on target in the first half, when playing with the wind.

Panel on the night

Conor McCormack, Cian Norris, Van McCay, Oisin Mulvihill, Anthony Mannion, Killian Keegan, David Carter, Kasey Mulvihill, Sean O'Donoghue, Tom Sheehan (0-4), Aaron Keegan (0-3), James McHugh (1-3), Kealan McNamara (0-1), Andrew Henson, Niadh Shine, Dylan Frawley, Nathan McKeon, Jack Dolan, Rian Gaynor, Christopher Malone, Darragh Glennon (2-1)

Boys Under-12 League [29 August 2018]

The Downs 2-05, Garrycastle 2-20

The Garrycastle under-12 team made the long trip to The Downs on Wednesday evening to play the final group phase match in the under-12 league. A great turnout of 22 players made the long trip, and togged out in the Green and Red.

The match started at a blistering pace with the Garrycastle team scoring some fine points from open play. The Garrycastle players tackled well, and continually ran at The Downs defence, opening the home team up with some great interplay. At the other end of the field, our defence was very solid, and dealt calmly with The Downs attacks, cleaning up all loose ball, and clearing their lines. The movement off the ball was also great to see, but sometimes the temptation was to take too much out of the ball, instead of getting the ball quickly and directly into the forward line.

At halftime Garrycastle were leading on a scoreline of 1-15 to The Downs 0-01.

At half-time we introduced all seven substitutes to give everyone present as much game time as possible. So many changes did have an unsettling effect on the team for a short while, and the home team took advantage and scored two goals in quick succession. However, the Garrycastle team settled down, and responded with a number of score of their own to re-establish their lead.

Overall, the Garrycastle team was much the stronger on the night, and all 22 players present played well. There is certainly some areas to work on, but overall, it was extremely heartening to see that this team is starting to play for each other, and operate as a unit.

The final score saw Garrycastle win by 2-20 to 2-05.

Panel on the night

Conor McCormack, Cian Norris, Anthony Mannion, Oisin Mulvihill, Nathan McKeon, Van McCay, Rian Gaynor,

Christopher Malone, Killian Keegan, David Carter, Kasey Mulvihill, Andrew Henson (0-2), Tom Sheehan (0-2),

Niadh Shine (0-4), Aaron Keegan (0-1), James McHugh (1-4), Kealan McNamara (0-3), Calum Hudson (0-1),

Dylan Frawley (0-1), Jack Dolan, Sean O'Donoghue (1-2), Darragh Glennon.

Minor Football Championship (Div 2) - First round and Semi-Final [23 August 2018]

It was a busy few days for the Garrycastle minor team in this year’s Minor Football Championship (Division 2), with a first round game on Saturday 18th August, and following a win over Moate All Whites, a semi-final clash with Mullingar Shamrocks on Wednesday 22nd August.

First up was the clash with Moate All Whites.


Garrycastle minors advanced to the semi-final of the division 2 championship with a comprehensive and impressive display against Moate All Whites in Garrycastle. It took the Garrycastle lads some time to settle into the game and a point from a close range free by Joe Carmody in the 6th minute was the first score of the game. Moate All Whites had a couple of opportunities to level matters, but they failed to convert them due to a combination of good defending and some poor shooting. Jason Nugent doubled the Garrycastle lead with a point from play in the 11th minute. Joe Carmody pointed from a 45 meter kick to increase the lead for the home side and from the resulting kick out the Garrycastle lads attacked and Joe Carmody slotted the game’s first goal to leave his side 1-3 in the lead by the 14th minute. This was followed by a point from Brian Ruane from distance. Jason Nugent pointed yet again for Garrycastle but Moate All Whites responded with their first score, a point from a free in the 24th minute of play. Andrew Monaghan tacked on two points before the break to leave it 1-07 to 0-01 at half time.

Garrycastle resumed as they had finished the first half with points from play by Brian Ruane and Eoin Mulvihill to stretch their lead even further. Moate All Whites did register a point from play before Garrycastle got their second goal, this time from Jason Nugent after good approach play. Garrycastle continued to dominate the play and a point from Joe Carmody was quickly followed with a third goal for Garrycastle from the boot of Charlie O’Connor. Joe Carmody converted two frees in a short period and Garrycastle scored yet another goal, this time from Jason Nugent to put the result beyond any doubt in the 47th minute. Moate All Whites did respond with a point from a close range free with just over 10 minutes remaining. However, the Garrycastle lads did not let up and a point from Joe Carmody was soon followed with two goals in rapid succession, scored by Brian Ruane and Mathias O’Neill. Moate AW added a point from a free but Joe Carmody responded with a point from play for Garrycastle. Fergal Mullin got the last score for Garrycastle, a point from play as full time approached but Moate All Whites had the final say with a point from play just on the blow of the referee’s final whistle. The final score was 6-15 to 0-05 in Garrycastles favour.

This was a good performance from the Garrycastle lads. The defence was solid throughout and never let Moate All Whites create any goal scoring opportunities. Patrick McKiernan dealt with any danger within his goal area. In defence, the displays of Daniel Guinan, Robert Kelly, Cathal Redmond and Fergal Mullin deserve particular mention. The midfield of Eoin Mulvihill and Andrew Monaghan dominated proceedings and supplied the Garrycastle attack with ample possession, and they contributed important scores as well. Garrycastle were clinical in attack and converted the vast majority of the opportunities they created. Jason Nugent, Joe Carmody and Charlie O’Connor caused all sort of problems for Moate defence. Brian Ruane linked up play well from a deeper position and contributed handsomely with some wonderful scores and bringing other attackers into the play. The substitutes also contributed handsomely to this win, with Ryan Cornally’s display deserving mention.

Garrycastle scorers:- Fergal Mullin (0-1), Andrew Monaghan (0-2), Eoin Mulvihill (1-1), Jason Nugent (2-2), Brian Ruane (1-2), Joe Carmody (1-7, 2f, 1 45Mt), and Charlie O’Connor (1-0).

On Wednesday evening Garrycastle played hosts to Mullingar Shamrocks in the semi-final.


Garrycastle minors qualified for final of the division 2 championship with an emphatic win over a fancied Mullingar Shamrocks side in Garrycastle last Wednesday evening. Following their win over Moate All Whites in the previous round the Garrycastle lads knew they would have to step up their performance and they did so with a fine display of both defensive and attacking play.

The Garrycastle lads started in determined fashion, scoring 3 unanswered points in the opening minutes, the scores coming from Andrew Monaghan (2 points) and Joe Carmody. Brian Ruane added to the Garrycastle score with a well taken point in the 8th minute. Mullingar Shamrocks did get off the mark in the 11th minute, when an effort on goal was thwarted by a fine save by Patrick McKiernan in the Garrycastle goal and the follow-up play yielded a point. Garrycastle continued to dominate and Joe Carmody added a point from a free and one from open play. Mullingar Shamrocks responded with a point from a free and one from play to reduce the gap. The game’s first goal came in the 23rd minute when a fine passage of play saw Eoin Mulvihill advance on goal and find the Mullingar Shamrock’s net. Jason Nugent added a point from play and Joe Carmody converted a 45 meter kick. Mullingar Shamrocks did find the Garrycastle net in the 27th minute from the penalty spot. However, Garrycastle had the last score of the half with a point from Ryan Cornally, to leave it 1-09 to 1-03 in Garrycastles favour at the break.

Garrycastle opened the second half in blistering fashion, scoring two goals and two points in the opening 4 minutes of play, the goals coming from Jason Nugent and a converted penalty by Joe Carmody and points from a Joe Carmody free and from play by Ryan Cornally. Mullingar Shamrocks did respond with a point from play but found it very difficult to make any headway against a resolute Garrycastle defence. A promising Mullingar Shamrocks attack was thwarted by a great save by Patrick McKiernan and the resulting 45 was pointed. Three pointed frees from Joe Carmody and a point from Brian Ruane kept Garrycastle in a dominant lead as the game entered its last 10 minutes. A second goal from Jason Nugent in the 51st minute left Mullingar Shamrocks with an almost impossible deficit to claw back. To their credit they never gave up and two colas scored in the final minutes of play did take some of the edge off the final score-line of 4-15 to 3-06.

This was an excellent team performance from the Garrycastle lads, each and every member of the starting 15 as well as the substitutes played their part in this win. Garrycastle can now look forward to the final, where their opponents will be Tubberclair or Multyfarnham, who play their semi-final next week.

Garrycastle scorers:- Andrew Monaghan (0-2), Eoin Mulvihill (1-0), Brian Ruane (0-2), Jason Nugent (2-1), Ryan Cornally (0-2), Joe Carmody (1-8, 1-0 pen, 5f, 1 45Mt).

GARRYCASTLE PANEL for games: - Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan (Capt), Robert Kelly, Cathal Redmond, Fergal Mullin, Tommy Stephens, Cillian Lyons, Andrew Monaghan, Eoin Mulvihill, Dara Kenna, Jason Nugent, Brian Ruane, Ian Carroll, Joe Carmody, Charlie O’Connor, Ryan Cornally, Tommy Devery, Saumil Sharma, James Murphy, Mathias O’Neill.

Under-16 Boys Championship Div. 2 Quarter-final [22 August 2018]


The Garrycastle u16 team will march on into the semi-final of the division II championship after a hard fought and well deserved 2-16 to 4-09 win over Athlone on Monday evening.

Despite arguably being the better team, Garrycastle went in at half-time three points down due to the concession of two very soft goals just before the whistle. Athlone came out of the blocks very strong at the start of the second half and built a healthy 8 point lead at one point. However, the tides began turning for Garrycastle when the midfield pairing of Tommy Stephens and Daniel McManus got on top of their opposite numbers and helped to create some well worked team scores to chip away at Athlone’s strong advantage. A well taken goal from the determined Ben Kilkenny brought the men in green and red back to within 2 points and it was all to play for entering the final stages.

During this resurgence, Garrycastle’s defence stood strong and witheld a number of dangerous breakaway attacks. A fantastic reaction save by Eric Rogers helped to steady Athlone’s previous scoring dominance and ensured that a comeback would remain on the cards.

And remain on the cards it certainly did, as Garrycastle’s dominance in the middle of the field and under the breaking ball proved too much for Athlone and the boys drove on with some terrific scores, most notably from Cathal Redmond and Tommy Stephens.

Garrycastle showed great belief and determination in grinding out this hard fought win. They now head into their semi-final after being greatly tested and confident in the knowledge that they passed this test.

Team: Eric Rogers, John D O'Shea, Cian Dowling, Adam Mulvihill, Unity Oviawe, Diarmuid Carey, Cathal Redmond, Tommy Stephens, Daniel McManus, Ben Kilkenny, James Murphy, Ryan Cornally, Conor O Donohue, Charlie O'Connor, Luke Clinton. Subs: Corey Nugent, Stephen Gaffey, Nathan Breslin.

Boys Under-12 League [16 August 2018]

Garrycastle 1-14, Mullingar Shamrocks 5-07

The Garrycastle under-12 team travelled to Springfield in Mullingar to play Mullingar Shamrocks on Wednesday evening in round 3 of the second phase of the under-12 league. As both teams play fast, attacking football, we expected this to be a very physical and challenging game, and so it proved on the evening.

With the summer holidays drawing to a close, we had a good turnout of 18 players making the trip to Mullingar.

Right from the start the game was played at a very high intensity with lovely, free flowing football from both teams. The home team looked physically bigger and stronger, but these Garrycastle boys have a great attitude and great heart, and took the game to them. The Shamrocks lads were kicking long balls into their full forward line and got some rewards as they scored three goals before half-time. The Garrycastle heads never dropped, however, and they passed the ball around with great accuracy and took some great points and were unlucky on a number of occasions not to raise the green flag, being denied by some great point blank saves from the home team goalkeeper.

The score at the half-time break slightly favoured the home team on a scoreline of Garrycastle 0-07 to Mullingar Shamrocks 3-03.

The second half started with Garrycastle having to play into a stiff breeze, but the players adapted quickly to the conditions, and by being very accurate with their passes, worked the ball through the hand up to the forward line, who took their chances when they came. The home team then had a purple patch, when they eventually broke through our defence and scored two more goals. The Garrycastle players were still taking their points, keeping the scoreboard ticking over, and the work rate all over the pitch was fantastic to see.

There was a long period where the home team did not score, and this was due to the pressure the Garrycastle players applied. Although Garrycastle outscored them on the night, the old truism that 'goals win games' held sway.

At the final whistle, the home team prevailed on a scoreline of Garrycastle 1-14 to Mullingar Shamrocks 5-07. Although they may have lost on the night, the players gave everything and can be very proud of their performance.

Team on the night :

Cian Norris, Conor McCormack, Christopher Malone, Oisin Mulvihill, Anthony Mannion, Kacey Mulvihill, David Carter, Niadh Shine, Sean O’Donoghue (0-2), Andrew Henson, Kealan McNamara (0-1), James McHugh (0-5), Aaron Keegan (0-3), Jack Dolan (0-2), Brandon Delaney, Dylan Frawley (0-1), Paddy Stephens, Darragh Glennon (1-0)

Boys Under-12 League [2 August 2018]


Garrycastle played Multyfarnham in the second round of the Under-12 league (phase 2), in a wet Garrycastle on Wednesday evening.

As is usual this time of year, the number of players available was greatly reduced due to summer holidays and other commitments. Even so, we still were able to field 17 players on the night, although with only 4 of our under-12 players available, it was very much left to our under-11 and under-10 players to fill out the team. As such, we knew we would be up against a physically stronger Multyfarnham team.

However, all the Garrycastle players played magnificently, showing a huge work-rate and stepped up their game all over the pitch. They fought for every ball, and importantly, did all the simple things well.

Both teams got off to a good start with the opening points being shared equally. The Garrycastle team started to take control, playing to its strengths, passing the ball around cleanly, and attacking in numbers once the chance was on. The wet conditions meant that at times the ball was difficult to hold, but when we did hold onto the ball we got the rewards. At half time the Garrycastle team led on a scoreline of 2-02 to 0-04.

The Multyfarnham boys came out strong in the second half, scoring a quick goal and point. The Garrycastle boys did not panic and kicked the next four points to open up the lead again. With the Garrycastle team doing some continuous running off the ball, the space started to open up and we scored two great goals. Both teams played some excellent football in the wet conditions, tackling hard, and some fantastic kick passing which was great to see.

As the final whistle blew, the Garrycastle boys ran out the winners, on a final scoreline of Garrycastle 4-09 to Multyfarnham 2-05.

Team on the night:

Conor McCormack, Cian Norris, Van McCay, Anthony Mannion, David Carter, Nathan McKeon, Killian Keegan (0-01), Rian Gaynor, Aaron Keegan (0-01), Niadh Shine, Christopher Maloney, Paddy Stephens (1-01), Darragh Glennon (1-03), Calum Hudson, Jack Dolan, James McHugh (2-03), Dylan Frawley.

Minor Football League Championship (Group A) [29 July 2018]


Garrycastle minors had to yield to a very strong Maryland/Tang side in their second championship outing in Garrycastle last Sunday morning. Playing with the aid of whatever breeze was blowing the Garrycastle lads made a positive start and Joe Carmody had their first point on the board in the 5th minute. This was soon followed with a fine point from Eoin Mulvihill. The Maryland/Tang boys then enjoyed a period of dominance, and a point from play followed up with one from a free had them level by the 13th minute. The game’s first goal came soon after for the visitors as the Garrycastle defence failed to cut out a dangerous through ball and it was well finished to the Garrycastle net. Two more points for the visitors, one from play and one from a free, stretched their lead further. Garrycastle then had their best period of the half and were duly rewarded with a fine goal from Joe Carmody followed up with a fine point from Brian Ruane. Maryland/Tang had a point which was fiercely disputed by the Garrycastle lads but awarded by the referee. Dylan Keegan had a point from a free to reduce the margin. However, Maryland/Tang finished the first period strongly and added a point from a free and one from play in added time. The visitors held a 1-07 to 1-04 lead at the break.

The visitors had the majority of possession and scoring opportunities on the resumption of play. They took full advantage and reeled off five points, four of which were from play, in the opening 11 minutes of the second half. Garrycastle did respond in fine style and began to compete for every ball. Their determination was rewarded with points from Eoin Mulvihill, Brian Ruane and Andrew Monaghan to reduce the gap to 5 points as the game entered it final minutes. Yet another point from Andrew Monaghan gave Garrycastle some hope but the visitors added two more points. The final score of the game saw Brian Ruane stroke over a fine point in added time to leave it 1-14 to 1-09 in favour of the visitors at the end.

Despite defeat, this was an encouraging display by the Garrycastle lads against opposition who played their league football in Division 1 this year. In defence, Robert Kelly on his return to action following injury played soundly and was well supported by Tommy Stephens, Fergal Mullin, and Eoin Mulvihill. In centre-field Dara Mulvihill and Dylan Keegan worked hard throughout the game and in attack, the performances of Brian Ruane, Andrew Monaghan, James Murphy and Joe Carmody were noteworthy. The outcome of our remaining game in the group, against Millmore Gaels, will determine whether the lads play in Division 1 or 2 of the Minor Championship.

GARRYCASTLE: - Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan, Robert Kelly, Tommy Devery, Fergal Mullin, Eoin Mulvihill (0-1), Tommy Stephens, Dara Mulvihill, Dylan Keegan (0-2, 1f), Brian Ruane (0-3), Andrew Monaghan (0-2), Daragh Keena, James Murphy, Joe Carmody (1-1), Ian Carroll.

SUBS:- Saumil Sharma A Monaghan (Blood sub); S Sharma for I Carroll (H/T); I Carroll for J Murphy (45 min); J Murphy for S Sharma (57 min).

Boys Under 11 League (Round 1) [15 July 2018]

The first round of the county under-11 league started with an away match against Tubberclair. The format for this competition is slightly different, as the matches are played at 11-a-side, compared to the 15-a-side for the under-12 competitions.

Given the time of year, the Garrycastle squad was missing some players due to holidays, so we only had the minimum 11 players required togged off. The lads that were available however, stepped up to the challenge, and started at a blistering pace, bursting through the Tubberclair defense and scoring the opening 4 scores.

On a really warm evening, the lads put everything into the game, and continued to take some good scores. As legs tired late on, we were wasteful with some of the chances on offer, but overall, the attacking play was great to watch.

Not to be outshone by the forwards, the defense stood very strong, giving no space to the opposition, forcing Tubberclair to shoot from distance, which kept the scores down.

There was some very strong physical tackling from both side. Everyone who played tonight played well, but special mention goes to the back-line who never panicked, and calmly worked the ball out of defense to start numerous attacks, leading to some fine team scores.

At the final whistle, and with all scores being counted the same, Garrycastle had won comfortably on a scoreline of 25 to 5.

Team & Scorers: Aaron Keegan 0-9, James McHugh 0-7, Jack Dolan 1-3, Andrew Henson 0-2, Van McCay 0-1, Calum Hudson 0-2, Conor McCormack, Rian Gaynor, Oisin Mulvihill, Niadh Shine, Killian Keegan.

Boys Under-12 League, Phase 2 [12 July 2018]

Garrycastle 2-17, Caulry 2-04

The Under-12 squad got phase-2 of this years under-12 league off to a great start with a win against Caulry on Wednesday evening. Despite a number of players being missing due to summer holidays and injuries, we still had 17 players available to tog off on the night.

For the majority of the players this was their second match in two days, but this did not stop them from putting in a 100% effort from start to finish. Garrycastle started the game the brighter, running at Caulry and scored the opening few scores. As the game progressed, Caulry gradually got into their stride, but even though they made some fine attacks, the Garrycastle defense held firm, and gave up no scores. The Garrycastle backs never seem pressurised when the opposition attacked, and when possession was won back in the full back line, the ball was quickly up the field through the hands to score some great points.

The work rate from the middle third of the field was great to see when we were attacking, but as the game progressed, Garrycastle were a bit slow getting back and Caulry took full advantage of this and punished us with a few scores.

Not to be outdone, our forwards were on fire tonight and every ball that was worked in was rewarded with a score. The effort from all of the players was very impressive on the evening.

Thanks to Caulry for a very fair and competitive game. Final score Garrycastle 2-17, Caulry 2-04.


Conor McCormack, Rian Gaynor, Oisin Mulvihill, Nathan McKeon, Killian Keegan, David Carter, Niadh Shine (0-1), Andrew Henson (1-1), Tom Sheehan (0-2). Keelan McNamara, James McHugh (0-7), Kacey Mulvihill, Aaron Keegan (0-3), Brandon Devaney (0-3), Calum Hudson (1-0), Dylan Frawley, Jack Dolan.

Minor Football League Championship (Group A) [9 July 2018]


Garrycastle Minors made the trip to Shandonagh last Monday evening as they had to concede home advantage as their pitch was unplayable due to the drought conditions. Despite this, the boys in green registered a win to get their championship campaign off to the perfect start.

The opening exchanges were quiet muted, probably because of the very warm and humid conditions. Garrycastle got off to a good start with a point from Andrew Monaghan inside the first minute of play. Shandonagh had a number of opportunities to equalise but some poor shooting saw them register a number of wides before they final got a point from a close range free. Shandonagh took the lead mid-way through the half with a point from play. However, this spurred the Garrycastle lads and they had their best period of the half from there to the break. A pointed free from Dylan Keegan put them level before the game’s first goal came in the 22nd minute when Daragh Keena, following good approach play, was on hand to find the net. This was quickly followed up with a second point from Andrew Monaghan. Shandonagh did register a point from yet another free to reduce the gap, but almost immediately Garrycastle had their second goal of the game when Eoin Mulvihill broke up from his position at centre-back to blast the ball to the Shandonagh net. As the game entered injury time, Shandonagh responded with two points in quick succession. However, Garrycastle had their third goal before the break, when Brian Ruane fielded a high ball and as he tried to register a score was pulled to the ground and was awarded a penalty. Brian stepped up to beat the Shandonagh keeper and put his side into a 3-03 to 0-05 lead at the break.

Garrycastle had the better of the exchanges in the opening minutes of the second period with a pointed free from Dylan Keegan and one from play from Brian Ruane. Shandonagh did have a few chances for scores but yet again their shooting let them down. However, they did get right back into it with two quick fire goals in the 40th and 42nd minutes and leave just a gap of just 3 points between the sides. The Garrycastle lads responded well to this setback and points from Brian Ruane, Ryan Cornally Brian Ruane again and Eoin Mulvihill put Garrycastle seven points ahead by the 48th minute. Shandonagh did rally in the closing minutes and had a point from play and two more points from frees to close the gap to four points by the end.

This was a deserved win for Garrycastle. There were good performances in defence from Ian Carroll (in goal for the first half), Tommy Stephens, Daniel Guinan, Fergal Mullin and Eoin Mulvihill. Dylan Keegan and Dara Mulvihill worked tirelessly in midfield on what was a very warm evening. Ryan Cornally, Brian Ruane Andrew Monaghan, Daragh Keena and Saumil Sharma combined well in attack. There were also important contributions from the substitutes. However, Garrycastle will need to improve on this performance as the championship progresses, as Shandonagh were quiet wasteful in attack and could have made it a more difficult evening for the Garrycastle lads.

GARRYCASTLE: - Ian Carroll, Daniel Guinan, Tommy Stephens, Cathal Redmond, Fergal Mullin, Eoin Mulvihill (1-1), Cillian Lyons, Dylan Keegan (0-2, 2f), Dara Mulvihill, Ryan Cornally (0-1), Brian Ruane (1-3, 1-0 Pen), James Murphy, Saumil Sharma, Andrew Monaghan (0-2), Daragh Keena (1-0).

SUBS:- Patrick McKiernan for I Carroll (H/T); Tommy Devery for R Cornally (H/T); Ian Carroll for J Murphy (H/T); Ryan Cornally for A Monaghan (Inj, 38 Min); James Murphy for C Redmond (40 min).

Minor Football League (Div 2) [6 July 2018]


Garrycastle Minors made the journey to Multyfarnham last Friday evening in this re-arranged league fixture. However, due to a number of late withdrawals from the Garrycastle side, it was agreed by both clubs to play a 13-a-side game.

The home side had the better start and had registered their first point by the 3rd minute. Garrycastle responded with a point from full-forward Andrew Monaghan. Multyfarnham regained the lead with a well taken point as the game flowed from one end to the other. Ian Carroll, playing in goal for the first time, made a very good save to deny the home side a goal and in their next attack, the Garrycastle lads drew level with a pointed free from Dylan Keegan mid-way through the first half. The home side regained the lead again almost immediately with a point from play. Ian Carroll came to his side’s rescue in the 18th minute with a wonderful reflex save to deny the home side yet another goal opportunity, however, Multyfarnham did register a point in their next attack. Garrycastle responded with their best period of possession and put the home side’s defence under sustained pressure. Points from Eoin Mulvihill and two pointed free by Dylan Keegan edged Garrycastle into a one point lead as the game entered the final moments of the first half. However, the home side were not to be denied when they created a goal opportunity and registered the game’s first goal despite the best efforts of Ian Carroll, to leave the score-line 1-4 to 0-5 at the break.

The home side were on top in the early exchanges of the second half and registered three unanswered points in the opening five minutes to open up a 5 point gap. Andrew Monaghan had a point for Garrycastle but the home side responded in kind. Following some good approach play by Dylan Keegan, Saumil Sharma and Andrew Monaghan, Ryan Cornally was on hand to fire over a good point for Garrycastle mid-way through the second half. Multyfarnham pointed yet again but Dylan Keegan responded with a point for Garrycastle. Two more points for the home side stretched their lead to 6 points as the Garrycastle lads tired and Multyfarnham introduced fresh legs. A pointed free from Dylan Keegan reduced the margin but Multyfarnham finish the game strongly and had a pointed free and their second green flag with their last attack to leave them deserved winners on a score line of 2-12 to 0-9.

There was some encouraging aspect from Garrycastle on the eve of the championship, despite this defeat. Ian Carroll had a fine game in goal and was well supported in defence by Daniel Guinan, Tommy Stephens, Fergal Mullin and Cathal Redmond. Dylan Keegan and Dara Mulvihill worked tirelessly in mid-field. Ryan Cornally and James Murphy, both U16s playing their first game at minor level, showed great promise throughout, and combined well with Eoin Mulvihill and Andrew Monaghan in attack. However, minor players will need to show greater commitment in training and in play if they harbour and ambitions to progress far in the upcoming championship.

GARRYCASTLE: - Ian Carroll, Daniel Guinan, Tommy Stephens, Cathal Redmond, Fergal Mullin, Cillian Lyons, Dylan Keegan (0-5, 0-3f), Dara Mulvihill, Ryan Cornally (0-1), Eoin Mulvihill (0-1), James Murphy, Saumil Sharma, Andrew Monaghan (0-2).

Under 16 League [5 June 2018]

Garrycastle under 16s continued their good form with 2 league victories in one week. The first game against neighbours Athlone was a very exciting affair played in slippery conditions. After a bright start where we built up an early lead through scores from Charlie O Connor and Ben Kilkenny our lads seemed to take the foot of the gas and allowed Athlone back into the game. This left the game level at half time with Garrycastle playing into the breeze for the second period.

Garrycastle rose to the challenge and the second half display was much better. The game was end to end and both sides led at different periods with Garrycastle’s best scores coming from expertly finished goals from Luke Clinton and Tommy Stephens. Trailing by 2 points heading into the last 5 minutes Garrycastle needed to show all their character and were rewarded for their efforts when after a goal mouth scramble Tommy Stephens was on hand to raise the green flag. The defence, excellently marshalled by Cian Dowling, Cathal Redmond and John Dylan O Shea withstood some late Athlone pressure and the Castle held on for a narrow victory. Athlone 2-08 Garrycastle 3-06

On Friday the boys were back in action this time away to Lilliput Gaels. In what was a high scoring game played in warm conditions Garrycastle came out on top on a scoreline of 5-15 to 4-8. Eric Rogers again done an excellent job in goals saving a penalty at a crucial time when the game was tight. Daniel McManus competed very well in midfield giving us the platform to push on the get the scores needed. Overall a great few weeks for the under 16s who now have a break in fixtures for the Junior cert.

Under-12 League [25 May 2018]


The Garrycastle Under-12 squad played their fifth and final round of the Under-12 league tonight, with an away fixture in Rochfortbridge. On a beautiful, warm, sunny evening 21 players made the trip to take on the home club, St. Marys.

Although the sun was shining, there was a stiff breeze blowing across the pitch. The Garrycastle team started the game strongly, driving forward and taking a couple of fine scores. St. Marys fought back strongly and quickly found equalising scores to keep the game finely balanced. The Garrycastle lads pushed on again, and dominated the next 10 or 15 minutes but could not make it count on the scoreboard, and numerous chances were missed, partially on account of the wind, but also due to some poor decision making in front of the posts. As expected, St. Marys grew back into the game, and eventually broke through the Garrycastle midfield and finished off a nice flowing move with a well taken goal to level the scores on the scoreboard. The home team finished the first half strongly, knocking over a number of points before the break, to leave the half-time score showing the home team ahead by a goal, on a scoreline of 1-05 to 0-05.

As the second half started, the Garrycastle players knew they were in a real match and needed to up their effort and intensity. As in the first half, the Garrycastle team opened with a well taken point, but then home team seemed to own the ball, as they dominated possession for much of the second half. However, in a similar fashion to Garrycastle in the first half, St. Marys kicked a lot of wides and could not take their chances to drive on and make the game safe. There were points traded by both teams until St. Marys scored their second goal and opened up a six point lead with around five minutes to play. Once more, the Garrycastle team rallyed together, and with some excellent tackling and passing, scored the next three points to narrow the home teams lead to a single score. However, even though the Garrycastle team had a couple of late goal chances, the St. Marys defence weathered the pressure, and when the referee blew the final whistle, Garrycastle had lost by a single goal, with the final score showing 2-12 to 1-12.

This game was there to be won by Garrycastle, but congratulations to the St. Marys team, who were worthy winners on the night.

Garrycastle Scores:

Sean O Donoghue 0-06, Tom Sheehan 0-01, Andrew Henson 0-03, James McHugh 0-02, Jack Dolan 1-00

Minor Football League (Div 2) [21 May 2018]


An understrength Garrycastle side hosted Tyrrellspass in this fifth round Minor league game last Wednesday evening. Tyrrellspass were also without a full complement and as a result the sides agreed to play 14-a-side.

It was the visitors who made a positive start with the game’s opening goal coming after just 3 minutes and they added a point in their next attack. Garrycastle had a few opportunities to open their account but failed to find the mark with a couple of efforts for points. However, Jason Nugent did finally open the scoring for Garrycastle in the fifth minute with a point from play. Shortly thereafter the sides were level when Andrew Monaghan goaled for his side. Tyrrellspass regained the lead as the mid-point of the half approached but Andrew Monaghan levelled again soon after. In their next attack the Garrycastle lads opened up the visitors defence and Jason Nugent took a good goal for his side. Tyrrellspass responded immediately with their second goal to level the scores again after 16 minutes. Andrew Monaghan pointed again for the lads in green and red but Tyrrellspass responded with a pointed free. Tyrrellspass regained the lead with a point from open play but Garrycastle had the last three points of the half, coming from Andrew Monaghan (2) and Jason Nugent to leave it 2-6 to 2-4 in Garrycastle’s favour at the break.

On the resumption the visitors were first off the mark to reduce the gap to just a point. However, Garrycastle then had a period total dominance stretching to the mid-point of the second half. The Garrycastle scores came from Dylan Keegan with a point, a goal from Jason Nugent and a point from Andrew Monaghan. In addition, Jason Nugent goaled from a penalty and a goal and a point from Andrew Monaghan added to the Garrycastle total. Tyrrellspass did stage something of a comeback and added four points in as many minutes. A pointed free from Jason Nugent completed the scoring but there was time for a very good save from Patrick McKiernan to deny Tyrrellspass a goal as time ran out. The final score was 5-11 to 2-09 in Garrycastle’s favour.

This was a very mixed performance from the Garrycastle lads, who yet again made a slow start to the game. A strong showing at the end of the first period and the start of the second was the winning of this game. They seemed to lose concentration and their shape in the later stages of the game. There were good performances from Daniel Guinan, Tommy Stephens and Cillian Lyons in defence. Dylan Keegan and Dara Mulvihill worked tirelessly throughout to supply possession to the Garrycastle, forwards. Jason Nugent and Andrew Monaghan took the limelight in attack, scoring 5-9 of the Garrycastle total, but they were well supported by Charlie O’Connor and Ian Carroll.

GARRYCASTLE: - Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan, Mathias O’Neill, Cathal Redmond, Fergal Mullin, Tommy Stephens, Cillian Lyons, Dylan Keegan (0-2), Dara Mulvihill, Daragh Keena (0-1), Jason Nugent (3-3,1-0 pen, 0-2 f), Charlie O’Connor, Andrew Monaghan (2-5), and Ian Carroll.

Subs: Saumil Sharma for I Carroll; I Carroll for D Keena; D Kenna for C O’Connor.

Under-12 League [11 May 2018]

Garrycastle 1-14 Shandonagh 2-04

The Garrycastle under-12 team played Shandonagh in the fourth round of the Under-12 league league in Garrycastle on Friday evening. On a fine bright evening, no fewer than 21 players were available, and all players got to play some part of the match. Coming into this match Shandonagh were unbeaten so far in this years league campaign, so from the outset this was always going to be a very competitive game, and indeed, so it proved to be.

The match started at lightning pace, with the ball travelling up and down the pitch and scores being traded by both teams. In what was also a very tight game, there was some great tackling and passing from both teams, as they tried to assert control. The visitors were very strong in the middle third of the pitch, and the Garrycastle team found progress difficult, being drawn into playing down the middle of the field. At halftime, the teams could not be separated, with the score at 1-03 each.

With some personnel and positional changes, and a tactical team talk to bolster the team, the Garrycastle team started the second half well, making much better use of the width of the pitch, and keeping the ball out wide. This paid immediate dividends, with some great possession being obtained, and with some excellent tackling and marking, the Garrycastle squad tacked on some well taken points from play, and opened up a good lead.

The Garrycastle defense was very solid throughout and won all 50:50 ball.

As would be expected, the visitors came back strongly in the latter stages of the match, with a well taken goal and a point immediately afterwards. The Garrycastle defense, however, stood strong and forced Shandonagh to kick from distance, which they were unable to convert into scores. When the final whistle was blown Garrycastle had seven points to spare, a justified reward for a great team display. There were great performances right around the field, and a huge team effort again tonight, but as always there are areas of improvement to be worked on.

Scorers on the night:

Tom Sheehan 0-07, Sean O'Donoghue 1-01, James McHugh 0-04, Andrew Henson 0-02

Under 16 League (Div 2) [11 May 2018]

Garrycastle 3-7 Millmore Gaels 2-7

Garrycastle under 16s secured their second win in a row with an excellent comeback victory over a strong Milmmore Gaels side last Thursday evening. Despite a fast start with 2 early scores from James Murphy, Garrycastle seemed switch off for ten minutes and Milmore capitalised on this building up an 8 point half time lead.

Right from the get go of the second half it was clear that Garrycastle had learned from their mistakes and were intent on turning around the deficit. With John Dylan O'Shea winning every ball in the back line and Ryan Cornally offering a lot of energy in midfield this gave the forwards the platform to kick some excellent scores. Amongst these were well taken goals from Luke Clinton and Tommy Stephens along with some fine points from Ben Kilkenny, Daniel McManus and Charlie O'Connor.

The final ten minutes saw the home team throw everything at the Garrycastle rearguard but ably assisted by the ever reliable Eric Rogers in goals and a hard working backline Garrycastle stood firm and held on for a 3 point victory.

Overall a great performance full of character and determination but the lads will know that they will need an improved first half in upcoming games.

GARRYCASTLE: Eric Rogers, Adam Mulvihill, Cian Dowling, Peter Mulvihill, Cian McCarthy, Dermot Carey, Cathal Redmond, Tommy Stephens, Daniel McManus, Luke Clinton, James Murphy, Ben Kilkenny, Nathan Breslin, Charlie O'Connor, Stephen Gaffey.

Subs used: John Dylan O'Shea, Ryan Cornally, Corey Nugent.

Minor Football League (Div 2) [29 April 2018]


Garrycastle minors paid the price for a slow start to this re-arranged league game in Springfield last Sunday evening. The home side dominated from the throw-in and had four points, three of which were from play, on the board in the first few minutes of play. Garrycastle had their first score, a point from play, when Andrew Monaghan converted from close range in the 5th minute. The home side continued to dominate play and added a further four points to increase their lead to seven by the 17th minute. Garrycastle created a goal opportunity in the next play and Joe Carmody finished it to the net in the 18th minute. A point from midfielder, Eoin Mulvihill, followed by one from a free by Jason Nugent, a few minutes later reduced the gap to just two points by the 26th minute. However, Mullingar Shamrocks added two more points before the break to leave them in a 0-10 to 1-3 lead.

Garrycastle made a strong start to the second period and a goal from Joe Carmody put his side just one point in arrears. Mullingar Shamrocks responded with two points from play. A pointed free by Jason Nugent kept Garrycastle in touch. Mullingar Shamrocks had a point from play but Garrycastle were level by the mid-point of the half, when Eoin Mulvihill was pulled down in the large square as be advanced on the home side’s goal. Joe Carmody dispatched the resultant penalty to the net to tie up the scores at 3-4 to 0-13. Mullingar Shamrocks then created a good goal opportunity, which was brilliantly saved by Tommy Stephens in the Garrycastle goal. Mullingar Shamrocks added three more points to restore their advantage and in their next attack they carved open the Garrycastle defence to grab a vital goal in the 49th minute. Garrycastle seemed to be tiring as the game approached the final minutes and the home side had a point from play and one from a free. They also created another goal opportunity but were denied yet again by a smart save by Tommy Stephens. The final score was 1-17 to 3-4 in favour of Mullingar Shamrocks.

This was a disappointing result for Garrycastle but they cannot deny that Mullingar Shamrocks were the better side over the hour. Their slow start gave Garrycastle a huge task to get back into the game, but they showed great heart and fighting spirit to draw level by the 45th minute. This effort seemed to take too much out of them and they could not sustain it to the end. There were notable displays by Tommy Stephens in goal. Robert Kelly, Daniel Guinan and Cathal Redmond defended solidly throughout. Eoin Mulvihill had a storming second half at midfield. Joe Carmody contributed 3 goals and was a constant danger to the home side’s defence. He was well supported by Jason Nugent and Andrew Monaghan.

GARRYCASTLE: - Tommy Stephens, Cathal Redmond, Robbie Kelly, Daniel Guinan, Fergal Mullin, Cillian Lyons, , Dylan Keegan, Dara Mulvihill, Eoin Mulvihill (0-1), Daniel McManus, Jason Nugent (0-2, 0-2 f), Nathan Breslin, Andrew Monaghan (0-1), Joe Carmody (3-0, 1-0 Pen) and Saumil Sharma.

Under-12 League, Phase 1, Group 2 [25 April 2018]

Garrycastle 2-14, Moate All-Whites 4-04

Our third match in this year's under-12 league, playing against the Moate All-Whites was held in Garrycastle on Wednesday evening, April 25th.

The match went ahead in poor weather conditions, with a strong wind blowing, and with the ground being very wet underfoot. However, the strong wind somewhat favoured Garrycastle in the first half, and the players took the game to the Moate All-Whites from the start, with intelligent use of the ball, attacking through the hands and taking some great points from play. The All-Whites however, stayed in touch with a quick goal from a free kick, quickly followed by a point. The Garrycastle lads were not fazed however, and proceeded to tap over a few more scores before the halftime whistle was blown. At the break, Garrycastle led on a scoreline of 1-07 to 1-01.

As expected, as the second half began, the visitors were quickly into their stride, and now playing with the aid of the wind, came out strong and launched some long balls into the forward line, where they were rewarded with three goals in quick succession. Now it was the turn of the Garrycastle lads to show their fighting spirit, and with the aid of a couple of changes in the defence, they steadied the ship, and once again started to work the ball out of defence, and up the field to tap over a few more points. Even though the Garrycastle lads were trailing for a few minutes, with some hard tackling and once again starting to win the ball back in midfield they got the next 4 scores in a row. As the game ended, Garrycastle took a deserved win.

This was a very keenly contested game with the Garrycastle team coming on top. A feature of the game from a Garrycastle viewpoint, was the man to man marking, and quickness to the ball, which was great to see.

Scorers on the night:

James McHugh 2-02, Aaron Keegan 0-01, Tom Sheehan 0-04, Andrew Henson 0-03, Brandon Devaney 0-01, Sean O’Donoghue 0-01, Killian Keegan 0-02.

Under 12 League - Phase 1, Group 2 [16 April 2018]

Our second under-12 league match was held on Wednesday night in Castledaly against Cill Óige, which is a combined Rosemount and Castledaly team. On a lovely fine evening perfect for football, the Garrycastle lads and girls was fired up for the match.

Right from the start Garrycastle started brightly, and with our half back line and midfield stopping the opposition attack, dominated the first half of the match. Our movement and link play was very impressive. At half time the Garrycastle team was in a strong position, leading by 2-12 to no score.

As the second half got underway, all of the Garrycastle substitutes were brought on and continued the strong showing around the field. As the second half wore on, and due to many positional changes, the Cil Óige team came more into the game, and got some reward for their efforts with two fine goals, when the Garrycastle defense had started to switch off. Our forwards on the night were very accurate and were taking their points at will. Final score on the night saw Garrycastle victorious on a scoreline of Garrycastle 4-20, Cill Óige 2-00.

Minor Football League (Div 2) [15 April 2018]


Garrycastle minors secured their second victory of the league campaign in a hard fought battle in Garrycastle last Sunday evening. The persistent rain made it difficult for handling and the slippery pitch saw many players lose their footing throughout. However, both sides deserve great credit for serving up an exciting game of football.

The visitors got the first score with a point from play in the 6th minute. Playing with the aid of a stiff breeze, Garrycastle replied soon after with a pointed free by Jason Nugent. A goal from the same player, after a mazy run through the Tubberclair defence, put Garrycastle into the lead in the 9th minute. Another pointed free from Jason Nugent stretched the lead further. Jason Nugent added his third pointed free in the 20th minute. Brian Ruane then got on the scoreboard with two well taken points from play. Tubberclair responded with a point from play but Andrew Monaghan added a point from a 45 for Garrycastle before the break to leave his side 1-06 to 0-02 ahead.

Tubberclair stormed into the game on the resumption and two points from play in the opening minutes reduced the gap between the sides. A goal from a penalty by Tubberclair put them right back in it after only four minutes of the second half. A second goal for the visitors put them into the lead by the 38th minute. The visitors then added a point and a third goal to establish a significant lead. By the mid-point of the half. Garrycastle responded in determined fashion and goal by Joe Carmody after a good build up reduced the margin to just two points. A point from Dara Keena for Garrycastle left the minimum between the sides by the 49th minute. Substitute, Daniel McManus, then got on the end of the good attack to goal for Garrycastle and put them into the lead again. A second goal for full-forward, Joe Carmody, put this side in a strong position as the game entered injury time. Tubberclair pressed forward and had the game’s last score, a point, in the last period to leave it 4-07 to 3-06 in Garrycastles favour.

Having established a good lead by the break the Garrycastle lads were overrun in the early stages of the second period and had the then stage a strong rally and showed great determination to get their noses in front by the end. There were good performances from Robert Kelly, Fergal Mullin and Cillian Lyons in defence. After a good first half performance the midfield faded for a period in the second half, but rallied strongly in the last quarter. Jason Nugent and Brian Ruane played well in the first half but were not as prominent in the second period. Joe Carmody showed his eye for goal in the final quarter and was well assisted by Daniel McManus on his introduction.

GARRYCASTLE: - Patrick McKiernan, Cathal Redmond, Robbie Kelly, Daniel Guinan, Fergal Mullin, Cillian Lyons, , Dylan Keegan, Eoin Mulvihill, Andrew Monaghan (0-1, 0-1 45), Dara Keena (0-1), Jason Nugent (1-3, 0-3 f), Brian Ruane (0-2), Tommy Devery, Joe Carmody (2-0) and Ian Carroll.

SUBS:- Nathan Breslin for T Devery; Daniel McManus (1-0) for I Carroll; Saumil Sharma for D Keena.

Under-12 League - Group 2 [29 March 2018]

Garrycastle 2-03 Tubberclair 5-10

Our first league match of the season was played on Wednesday evening against Tubberclair at home.

Tubberclair started the match very strong with some fine scores from open play. We were struggling to gain and keep possession. Eventually the lads moved the ball through the hands up the pitch where they scored a fine goal. We were not on form tonight as Tubberclair were first to every ball and we were chasing the game from the very start.

Injuries in the first 10 minutes to Kealan McNamara and Oisin Mullvihill required changes in formation which unsettled the team. Garrycastle started strongly in the second half and were fighting for the ball but it will take a while for our younger players, starting their first competitive match at this level, to adjust to the pitch size.

Scores on the night from Christopher Malone 1-0, James McHugh 0-2, Aaron Keegan 0-1, Andrew Henson 1-0

GARRYCASTLE: - David Carter, Brandon Devaney, Rian Gaynor, Jack Dolan, Dylan Frawley, Andrew Henson, Calum Hudson, Aaron Keegan, Killian Keegan, Christopher Malone, Anthony Mannion, Conor McCormack, James McHugh, Nathan McKeon, Fionn McMahon, Keelan McNamara, Van McCay, Niadh Shine, Kacey Mulvihill, Oisin Mulvihill, Cian Norris, Sean O'Donoghue.

Minor Football League (Div 2) [26 February 2018]


An understrength Garrycastle minor side suffered their first defeat of the league, when they travelled to Rochfordbridge to take on St Marys last Sunday morning.

Garrycastle were only able to field because five U16 players made themselves available as a number of minor players were unavailable for various reasons. However, Garrycastle made a good start to the game and dominated possession and took control on the scoreboard in the opening quarter. A pointed free from Andrew Monaghan in the very first minute got them going and the same player was on target with a point from play soon after. A goal from Fergal Mullin in the 12th minute was just reward for Garrycastle’s attacking play up to that point. Further points from Dara Keena and Dylan Kegan had stretched the lead to 7 points by the mid-point of the first half. The home side then began to string some good attacks together and scored two points, both from frees, to reduce the deficit by the 26th minute. Andrew Monaghan had another pointed free for Garrycastle in response. However, St Marys got right back into it with a goal just before the break to leave Garrycastle leading by 1-5 to 1-2 at half time.

Garrycastle had a number of attacks on the resumption but failed to convert these. The Garrycastle boys suffered a major setback when Andrew Monaghan picked up a hand injury early in the second half which severely restricted his involvement for the remainder of the game (he continued on as Garrycastle had no substitutes available as a replacement). Pointed frees in the 32nd and 36th minute from the home side left them just a point adrift of Garrycastle. St Marys jumped ahead in their next attack when they goaled after a save by Garrycastle keeper, Patrick McKiernan, broke kindly for an incoming forward to finish it to the net. A second Garrycastle injury, suffered by Cillian Lyons, saw him leave the field for treatment and the home side took full advantage by adding a succession of points. Cillian did resume his position after a period but Garrycastle struggled in vain to regain the initiative. The home side’s third goal arrived just before the full -time whistle to leave it 3-13 to 1-5 in St Mary’s favour.

A disappointing second half performance, in which they failed to score, can in part be explained by the unfortunate injuries suffered by Andrew Monaghan and Cillian Lyons. The lads battled bravely against a stronger side, but can take heart from the first half performance in which they gave every bit as much as their opponents. There were solid performances from Daniel Guinan, Robert Kelly, Tommy Stephens and Cillian Lyons in defence. Before his injury Andrew Monaghan was very prominent for his side, while in the first period Cathal Redmond and Fergal Mullin showed up well.

GARRYCASTLE: - Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan, Robbie Kelly, Tommy Stephens, Cian Dowling, Cillian Lyons, James Murphy, Andrew Monaghan (0-3, 2f), Dara Keena (0-1), Dylan Keegan (0-1), Cathal Redmond, Fergal Mullin (1-0), Ian Carroll, Daniel McManus and Saumil Sharma

Minor Football League (Div 2) [18 February 2018]


Garrycastle minors got the defence of their minor league (Division 2) title off to a winning start in Ballinagore last Sunday morning against Lilliput Gaels. Following all of the rain in recent weeks, the pitch was very heavy and the game was played in wet conditions.

The home side made the better start and had a pointed free and also a point from open play on the scoreboard in the opening period. It took Garrycastle until the eleventh minute to score, a point from Jason Nugent. This signalled a period of dominance from Garrycastle and from that point to the break they built up a deserved lead. Two points from Joe Carmody were added to by two pointed efforts from Jason Nugent, one from play and one from a free. Garrycastle also saw a goal bound effort deflect off a Lilliput Gael’s defender for a point. Garrycastle were awarded a penalty in the 23rd minute and Brian Ruane stepped up to dispatch it to the net. Garrycastle lead by 1-6 to 0-2 at the break.

Just as in the first period, it was the home side who made the better start to the second half and added two quick fire points to their tally. However, Garrycastle responded with a couple of points from Jason Nugent and with a point from Brian Ruane to stretch their lead. The home side had a point from a free but Garrycastle responded with points from Jason Nugent and Andrew Monaghan. Lilliput Gaels added a point but Brian Ruane struck over a couple of points for his team. The final action saw Lilliput Gaels work a goal to put a better gloss on the score-line. The final whistle was sounded on the resultant kick-out to leave Garrycastle winners by 1-13 to 1-06.

This was a well-deserved win but there were clear signs of rustiness from the Garrycastle side. They will have to improve significantly if they want to go on and retain their league title in 2018. There were good performances from Robbie Kelly and Tommy Stephen in the back line, and they were ably assisted by Cillian Lyons and Fergal Mullins. Eoin Mulvihill and Andrew Monaghan gave Garrycastle the edge in mid-filed and worked tirelessly throughout on the heavy pitch. Jason Nugent, Brian Ruane and Joe Carmody were most prominent in attack.

GARRYCASTLE: - Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan, Robbie Kelly, Tommy Stephens, Dylan Keegan, Cillian Lyons, Fergal Mullin, Eoin Mulvihill, Andrew Monaghan (0-1), Dara Mulvihill, Jason Nugent (0-6, 0-1 f), Brian Ruane (1-3, 1-0 Pen), Cathal Redmond, Joe Carmody (0-2) and Ian Carroll.