Match Reports Juvenile

Under-12 Jim McHugh Plate Final 2016 [17 October 2016]


The Garrycastle U12s made their own little piece of history last Wednesday night by being the first Garrycastle team to lift silverware in the Jim McHugh tournament. It was a low scoring match but it was a classic game of football with both teams going for it from the start. Millmore Gaels got the two opening points of the match but from then on the Garrycastle defence was resolute and didn't concede again in the opening half; this in essence was the platform for their win. The courage and commitment of the Garrycastle defence unit was superb with Brian Mulvihill particularly impressive making block after block. This allowed Garrycastle lots of opportunities to break at pace from the back and they put together a sustained period of pressure at the other end that led to a goal and a well taken point from Ben Dunegan. There was no let-up in the second half with both sides exchanging scores early on. Garrycastle utilised all their substitutes in the second half and the fresh legs allowed them to push on and get the win, Diarmuid Murtagh contributed a superb 1-2 from play. The final whistle was met with exhaustion and jubilation by the Garrycastle boys and the plate was lifted by team captain Bill Carmody to the cheers of the team and their families and friends.

Garrycastle squad: Tadgh McKiernan, Conor McCarthy, Con O'Hara, John McBride, Frank McKiernan, Conor Sheehan, Brian Mulvihill, Jamie Carroll, Andrew Ruane, Jack Mulvihill, Ben Dunegan, Diarmuid Murtagh, Oisin Nugent, Bill Carmody, Killian Redmond, Cian McCormack, Thanh McCay, Tom Daly, Jake Hanniffy, Matthew Conor, Tom Sheehan.

To round off a fantastic night of football in front of a large support of family and friends, there were two very entertaining finals which saw Moate All-Whites defeat Athlone in the Cup final, while Tubber got the better of Kilbeggan-St. Joseph’s in the Shield final. This brings the curtain down on another very successful tournament – a fitting tribute to our late club President Jim McHugh.

Under-10 Castledaly Tournament, Shield Final [16 October 2016]

The Garrycastle under-10 squad finished their year in style with a hard fought win over Millmore Gaels in the Shield final of the Castledaly under-10 league on Sunday morning. On a very wet and windy day, Garrycastle started the game playing into a strong headwind and struggled to get grips with the conditions. The Millmore Gaels side adapted more quickly, and posted the first two scores before we got a reply back from James McHugh.

Further points from Millmore Gaels saw them extend their lead before points from Tom Sheehan, and Kacey Mulvihill with a great score from a very tight angle, kept Garrycastle in touch. At the break, Garrycastle trailed by three points.

Turning to play with the wind in the second half, the Garrycastle team got off to a poor start and conceded three further points in a row, before the Garrycastle fighting spirit came to the fore, and helped by some positional switches and substitutions, started to reel in the lead. The Garrycastle midfield began to take control, and played some lovely balls into the forward line, who took advantage to knock over some great scores from Niadh Shine, Jack Allen and David Carter. The backs as well started to get the upper hand, and closed down the Millmore Gaels attack convincingly. As the game entered the final quarter, Garrycastle piled on the pressure, and an inspirational point from a sideline ball from James acted as the spur to drive the team on. Garrycastle levelled the game, and took the lead, but had to deal with some serious pressure from the Millmore Gaels forwards, with goalkeeper Dean Greham in excellent form as the last line of defense.

As the game came to a close, a further brace of excellent scores made the game safe, and it was a very happy and excited group of Garrycastle players, led by captain Killian Keegan, who accepted the Castledaly Shield.

Overall, this game was a very stern test for this group of players, and it was great to see their fighting spirit, and never say die attitude, come to the fore when it was most needed. The entire under-10 management team is extremely proud of the squad and it was a pleasure working with them throughout the 2016 season. Now it is time for a well deserved break and to recharge the batteries before next year.

A huge note of thanks as always to the parents and supporters on the sideline, who kept believing in their young heroes even when all seemed lost. This great level of support makes all the difference.

Many thanks also to Ciaran and the other organisers of this annual tournament in Castledaly. It is no exaggeration to say that the

Garrycastle club looks forward eagerly every year to this tournament to finish the football year, and it all works so well due to the level of organisation and support from the organisers. Well done all!

Under-10 Squad this year:

Jack Allen, David Carter, Brandon Devaney, Dylan Frawley, Rian Gaynor, Dean Greham, Andrew Henson, Calum Hudson, Aaron Keegan, Killian Keegan, Anthony Mannion, Van McCay, Conor McCormack, James McHugh, Nathan McKeon, Fionn McMahon, Kealan McNamara, Kacey Mulvihill, Oisin Mulvihill, Cian Norris, Sean O'Donoghue, Tom Sheehan, Niadh Shine, Christian Turean, Keelan Ward.

Under 14 (Division 2) Semi-Final [9 October 2016]

Tyrrellspass 2-13 Garrycastle 2-6

The Under 14s missed out on a final place when losing to a stronger Tyrrellspass team in Moate’s Hogan Park last Sunday morning. After a tentative opening, the teams were level at 0-2 each when Tyrrellspass got through for a goal. They increased their lead to five points but Garrycastle appeared to get a much-needed boost when a free kick by Ben Kilkenny was fumbled and seemed to cross the line. The umpire raised the green flag but the referee (from some distance away) over-ruled him and waved play on. Trailing by 1-6 to 0-4 at half time, Garrycastle needed to start the second half well but instead, after giving away possession, they were punished by a good goal from Tyrrellspass. Luke Clinton raised Garrycastle hopes when he pounced on a rebound and found the net but the Sky Blues regained control and kicked some very good points. Another well-taken goal by the hard-working Luke Clinton cut the deficit to five points but Tyrrellspass notched two more late points to clinch a deserved victory.

Garrycastle: Eric Rogers, John Dylan O’Shea, Cian Dowling, James Murphy, Nathaniel O’Neill, Diarmuid Carey, Cathal Redmond, Tommy Stephens, Daniel McManus (0-2), Nathan Breslin, Ben Kilkenny (0-2, frees), Ryan Cornally, Shane Coffey, Charlie O’Connor (0-1, free), Luke Clinton (2-1).

Subs: Corey Nugent, Adam Mulvihill and Stephen Gaffey.

Under-10 Castledaly tournament, Semi-Final [9 October 2016]

The Under-10 squad travelled the short distance to Castledaly on Sunday morning to play Tubberclair in the semi-finals of this years Coughlan Cup competition, with a place in the cup or shield final up for grabs. On a lovely morning for football, both teams served up an utterly engrossing match.

Garrycastle were first out of the blocks and soon led by two points courtesy of James McHugh (one a free), before a determined fightback from Tubberclair saw them draw level. Garrycastle again upped the pace, and with some excellent play from the middle of the field, retook the lead with two points first from Kacey Mulvihill, then a long range efort from Oisin Mulvihill and finally a poachers point from James. As the half ended a pointed free from Tubberclair narrowed the gap to leave the Garrycastle team ahead by three at the break.

As expected, the Tubberclair fightback started right from the resumption, and in a blistering 10 minute spell, they levelled the game, and moved two points in front. Again Garrycastle responded and swapped points (from Andrew Henson and Killian Keegan), to leave two points between the teams with time running out. The Garrycastle lads missed a couple of frees as the clock wound down, but yet again the fighting spirit was to the fore, and two further points from James levelled the scores again. As the final whistle blew, the teams could not be separated on the scoreboard.

After some discussion among the organisers, extra time was indicated. Again, Garrycastle started the brighter in the first half of extra time, and a point from James edged them in front. Two points from Tubberclair though, saw them lead by a single score at half time in extra time.

As the second half of extra time began, Tubberclair extended their lead to two points. This seemed to act as a spur to the Garrycastle team, and they laid siege to the Tubberclair goal, and narrowed the deficit again, with a great point from Andrew Henson. Now the push was on to find the equaliser, but the Tubberclair defence held firm, until Garrycastle won a free close to the sideline, and the referee indicated that this would be the last action of the game. There was almost silence as the ball was kicked, but it drifted agonisingly wide, and the game was over, with Garrycastle defeated by a single point.

This result means that Garrycastle will play in the Shield final on the coming weekend.

This Garrycastle team gave it absolutely their all in this match, and all 16 players present can hold their heads up high with their performance. Now it is time to regroup and get ready for the final match of the year.


Dean Greham, Anthony Mannion, Killian Keegan, David Carter, Sean O'Donoghue, Tom Sheehan, Andrew Henson, James McHugh, Oisin Mulvihill, Brandon Devaney, Kacey Mulvihill (capt.), Dylan Fawley, Calum Hudson, Van McCay, Aaron Keegan, Conor McCormack.

Clann na nGael / Tormeys Solicitors Under-10 League, 'B' Final [6 October 2016]

After a long wait since playing the last round of the Tormeys Solicitors / Clann na nGael under-10 league, it was finally time for the Garrycastle Under-10 squad to travel to Johnstown on Thursday evening to play Clann na nGael in the 'B' final. On a lovely evening we had a great turnout of 28 players, allowing us to easily field teams at under-9 and under-10 levels.

For the finals of the league, both teams played, and the scores of the two matches are added together to give a final result.

The under-10 team started well, and traded scores with the host club in a very evenly matched first half. At the half-time break only a single score separated the teams, with Clann in front. A couple of positional switches at half time allowed the Garrycastle squad to push forward more in the second half, and they soon drew level, and then took the lead with some excellent build up play from the centre of the field. Both teams fought hard and fair to try and control the match, but it was Garrycastle who held the upper hand in the third quarter and they stretched their lead with some excellent scores. However, as expected, the home club fought back as the game entered the last few minutes, and it took some fantastic rearguard work from the very hard working Garrycastle backline to weather the storm. As the final whistle sounded, the Garrycastle team emerged victorious by just a single score.

Not to be outdone, the under-9 team started very strongly, and had the lions share of possession right throughout the first half. Building on a very strong midfield showing, and an excellent defensive display when needed, the Garrycastle lads took a good lead into the half-time break. However, there was a large number of wides also in the first half, which meant the game was closer than was necessary at the break. As the second half started, the Garrycastle subs were begun to be introduced so that all players present could play in the final. The Clann team attacked strongly in the second half, but the Garrycastle defence handled the threat well, and aided by some inspirational scores up front, took a deserved win, having led from start to finish.

There were scenes of great excitement and pure joy at the final whistle as this superb group of young players celebrated their win!

The joint captains, Anthony Mannion at under-10, and Aaron Keegan at under-9, led the cheers and singing as the players celebrated with all their might. Once they calmed down a little, it was off to the clubhouse for the medals and trophy presentation. It was a very proud group of players who accepted their medals, and the roof was nearly lifted off the clubhouse with the cheering when the trophy was presented to Anthony and Aaron.

Overall, the Garrycastle under-10 squad have put a huge effort in right througout this league, and got their reward with their win in the final. All the players played their part during the league rounds, and on the finals night, and all can be justifiably proud of their efforts and rewards.

A huge note of thanks is due to Tormeys Solicitors for sponsoring this league, and to the Clann na nGael club for hosting it, for their excellent organisation right throughout the league, and their excellent hospitality on the finals night. Such well organised and structured opportunites to play football at this age level are few and far between, and this tournament is an excellent example of how it can be done!

Many thanks also to the parents who bring their sons and daughter to training and matches, and who always stay to cheer on their young players from the sideline in excellent spirits. As always, it is this type of support that makes all the difference.

Full report, team pictures and photos from the game are on the under-10 page.

Squad on the night:

Brandon Devaney, Jack Allen, Tom Sheehan, Nathan McKeon, Sean O'Donoghue, Calum Hudson, Kacey Mulvihill, Killian Keegan, Dean Greham, David Carter, Anthony Mannion, Oisin O'Donoghue, Christian Turean, Kealan McNamara, Niadh Shine, Oisin Mulvihill, Conor McCormack, Aaron Keegan, Cian Norris, Rian Gaynor, Dylan Frawley, Darragh Glennon, Andrew Henson, Fionn McMahon, Van McCay, James McHugh, Louie Shine, Keelan Ward.

Under 16 Football Championship (Div 2) Q/Final [6 September 2016]

Multyfarnham 2-15 Garrycastle 1-11

Garrycastle exited this year’s under 16 championship when they went down to the home side in Multyfarnham in the quarter-final clash.

The Garrycastle lads had an excellent start to the game and registered a goal and a point in the opening exchanges, the goal coming from Cillian Lyons and the point from a Brian Ruane free. Brian then added another pointed free to extend his side’s lead. The home side hit back strongly and with a goal and a point in quick succession were back in the game. Eoin Mulvihill had a point for Garrycastle as the mid-point of the first half approached. However, Multyfarnham then had a purple patch right up to the half time break. A succession of points, six in all, up to the 28th minute of the half saw them take a four point advantage. A pointed free from Brian Ruane before the break saw the half time score at 1-7 to 1-4 in favour of the home side.

Garrycastle came out with renewed determination after the break and with two pointed frees and one from play by Brian Ruane the Garrycastle lads had levelled the scores by the 35th minute. The home side then hit over three points of the own to restore their lead but yet another pointed free from Brian Ruane reduced the margin to two points again. A second goal for Multyfarnham, and perhaps the game’s most vital score, arrived in the 40th minute. The home side then added a point to their tally. Garrycastle battled away and Cillian Lyons had a point for his side with some 15 minutes remaining. The home side added two more points as the game entered its final 10 minutes. Brian Ruane added yet another point from a free. Multyfarnham had a point from play. Garrycastle pressed forward looking for a goal to put them within reach. Dylan Keegan was very unlucky to see his shot strike the post in the final minutes. The same player then added a point but the home side had the last say with a point from a free in the last minute. The final score 2-15 to 1-11 in favour of Multyfarnham.

While the result was very disappointing, the lads gave it their best shot against a physically strong Multyfarnham outfit. There were particularly good performances from Patrick McKiernan in goal, and from Dara Keena and Dara Mulvihill in defence. Eoin Mulvihill was superb throughout as was Brian Ruane, who contributed eight points in all. Jack Fitzgerald and Andrew Monaghan (despite carrying an injury) worked tirelessly for the cause. Cillian Lyons fought manfully throughout the game and contributed some important scores. However, Multyfarnham were the better side on the night and we wish them the best in their semi-final clash.

The U16 management would like to express their thanks to each of the lads who trained so diligently since mid-February and gave of their all in every game. Our thanks also to their parents for their support throughout the year. On a number of occasions we had to call upon U14 players to make up our match day squads and many thanks to them for their support and availability.

Garrycastle: Patrick McKiernan, Fergal Mullin, Robert Kelly, Daniel Guinan, Darragh Keena, Dara Mulvihill, Ian Carroll, Eoin Mulvihill (0-1), Brian Ruane (0-8, 7f), Jack Fitzgerald, Dylan Keegan (0-1), Cillian Lyons (1-1), Saumil Sharma, Andrew Monaghan, Tommy Devery.

Minor Division 2 Championship Quarter-Final [2 September 2016]

The Garrycastle Minors exited the Division 2 championship at the Quarter Final stage on Friday evening in Miltownpass. On a fine evening for football, the start of the game was delayed by more than half-an-hour as no referee was present.

When the game did get underway, Garrycastle opened brightly but kicked a pair of wides before opening their account with a point from Philip Monahan, following good play from Brian Ruane and Cathal Mannion. From there to the midpoint of the half, though, it was the Miltownpass outfit that played the better football, and they took full advantage, scoring 1-4 without reply. However, Garrycastle came back into the game and an excellent goal from Colm Lynch following good approach work by Jack O'Connnor brought them back into the game, and they added another point to leave the minimum between the sides approaching the half-time break.

A breakdown in communication was to cost them dearly, though, as on the stroke of half-time Miltownpass added a second goal, when allowed straight through on goal.

At half-time, Garrycastle trailed by 5 points but were well in the game.

As the second half began, Garrycastle pushed hard, and two points from Cathal, the second an excellent solo effort, narrowed the gap to a single score. They were rocked by a Miltownpass goal just as the momentum was with them, but to their credit struck back immediately for a fisted goal of their own by Cathal after he had been given an excellent opportunity by Eoin Mulvihill.

However, again just as the momentum swung their way, a Miltownpass attack that had seemed to fizzle out led to a soft effort being fumbled acros the goal line. A point immediately after saw the home side lead by 8 points with just over a quarter hour to go. The Garrycastle team were given a huge lift when Philip expertly struck home a penalty awarded when Cathal was fouled in the area.

But it was the home team who seemed to lift their effort more after that setback, and struck for a number of points over the next 10 minutes to put them firmly in the driving seat going into the last few minutes, A final Garrycastle goal by Cathal from a close-in free was scant consolation, as the home team won out on the night.

Overall, this was a game that Garrycastle perhaps could have won, but too many scores were shipped which perhaps could have been avoided leaving them too large a mountain to clear in the end.

Team picture is available on the Minor team page.


Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Cillian Lyons, Colm Lynch, Ross Mulvihill, Shane Duffy, Bill Kelly, Eoin Mulvihill, Brian Ruane, Cathal Mannion, Jack O'Connor, Dylan Keegan, Conor Mulvihill, Philip Monahan.


Patrick McKiernan, Caolan Jameson, Daniel Guinan, Ian Carroll, Robert Kelly, Jack Brody.

Under 16 Football Championship (Group C) [26 August 2016]

It was a busy week for the U16 side, with two games in the championship in the space of 5 days.

Garrycastle suffered a heavy defeat in their first fixture in Garrycastle last Monday evening against a very strong and talented St Lomans side. Were it not for a number of U14s making themselves available it would have resulted in the concession of the fixture.

The game was dominated by the visitors’ right from the throw-in and Garrycastle struggled to gain any foothold in the game. Despite this the lads tried very hard and are to be commended on their efforts.

The U16 management would like to express their thanks to each of the U14 players who fielded and played so well on the night.

GARRYCASTLE: Patrick McKiernan, Tommy Devery, Robert Kelly, Tommy Stephens, Daniel Guinan, Cillian Lyons, Diarmuid Carey, Dara Mulvihill, Andrew Monaghan, Jack Fitzgerald, Darragh Keena, Cathal Redmond, Peter Mulvihill, Brain Ruane, Ian Carroll.

The second game saw Garrycastle play hosts to Rosemount on Friday evening in a re-arranged first round game, which had not proceeded a number of weeks earlier because no referee showed.

This was a close fought affair with Rosemount having the better of the opening minutes and their play was rewarded with a point early on. However, Garrycastle settled into the game and James Murphy fired his side into the lead with a well taken goal in the 13th minute. Rosemount responded with a pointed free almost immediately. Points from Brian Ruane and Dylan Keegan pushed the Garrycastle boys further ahead by the 20th minute. Rosemount hit back with another pointed free and then a goal to jump into the lead. Dylan Keegan pointed for Garrycastle to level matters. However, Rosemount finished the half strongly and scored four unanswered points in the final minutes of the half to lead 1-7 to 1-3 at the break.

Garrycastle took the game to the visitors on the resumption of play, and two points from Brian Ruane reduced the gap to just a couple of points by the 35th minute. Rosemount had a point from play but Garrycastle responded with a point from Brian Ruane again. However, some poor defending by Garrycastle saw the visitors hit a second goal in the 48th minute to put them into a good lead. Rosemount hit over another point and this was responded to by Dylan Keegan with his third point of the game in the closing minutes. The final score Rosemount 2-9 Garrycastle 1-7.

This was a much improved performance from the Garrycastle boys and if they had been a bit more composed and clinical in front of gaol could have got a result. There were good performances from Patrick McKiernan in goal, the entire full back line and half backs played soundly throughout. Eoin Mulvihill gave a fine display of high fielding and was ably assisted by Dylan Keegan in midfield. Andrew Monaghan, Jack Fitzgerald, Brian Ruane and James Murphy were most prominent in attack.

Garrycastle: Patrick McKiernan, Daniel Guinan, Robert Kelly, Cathal; Redmond, Daniel McManus, Cillian Lyons, Darragh Keena, Dylan Keegan (0-3), Eoin Mulvihill, Ian Carroll, Andrew Monaghan, 5f), Jack Fitzgerald, Saumil Sharma, Brian Ruane (0-4), James Murphy (1-0).

Under 16 Championship (Group C) [8 August 2016]

The Downs 3-9 Garrycastle 2-5

For the second time in a number of weeks an U16 championship fixture involving Garrycastle was disrupted when the appointed referee fails to appear, and with the agreement of both clubs one of our referees stepped in to allow the fixture to be fulfilled.

The visitors made a very good start and raced into the lead with a point, a goal and a second point within the first five minutes of play. However, the Garrycastle lads responded well with a goal from Brian Ruane following a fine pass from Andrew Monaghan to get them off the mark. A further period of dominance from The Downs resulted in four more points, all from play, to increase their lead. Garrycastle had a second goal in the 25th minute from Eoin Mulvihill to reduce the gap. The sides traded points, the Garrycastle effort coming from an Andrew Monaghan free. Another pointed free from Andrew Monaghan brought the first half to a close on a score-line of 1-7 to 2-2 in favour of the visitors.

The Downs added to their lead with a point on the resumption, but Garrycastle kept in touch with another converted free from Andrew Monaghan. The Downs had another point from play to leave the gap at 3 points with just over 15 minutes remaining. Garrycastle suffered the loss of Nathan Breslin to injury in an accidental collision with an opponent. The Downs doubled their lead with a second goal soon after. In their next attack the visitors created another opportunity. Patrick McKiernan made an excellent save, but the attackers reacted first to the rebound and raised another green flag to put them into a commanding lead. Garrycastle did not give up and a couple of pointed free from Andrew Monaghan kept the scoreboard tucking over. However they could not create an opportunity to get a goal and The Downs ran out deserved winners on a score-line of 3-9 to 2-5.

There were good performances from Robert Kelly, Cillian Lyons and Daniel McManus in defence. Eoin Mulvihill and Dara Mulvihill worked tirelessly in midfield throughout and displayed a wide array of skills. Andrew Monaghan, Cathal Redmond and Brian Ruane were most prominent in attack.

Thanks to Gerry Duignan for agreeing to referee the game and he did an excellent job.

Best wishes to Nathan Breslin for a speedy recovery from injury.

Garrycastle: Patrick McKiernan, Tommy Stehens, Robert Kelly, Tommy Devery, Diarmuid Carey, Cillian Lyons, Daniel McManus, Eoin Mulvihill (1-0), Dara Mulvihill, Darragh Keena, Andrew Monaghan (0-5, 5f), Ian Carroll, Cathal Redmond, Brian Ruane (1-0), Dylan Keegan.

SUBS: Nathan Breslin for T Devery, Cory Nugent for N Breslin (inj); T Devery for I Carroll.

Minor Football Championship (Div. 1 and Div.2) Group 2 [21 July 2016]

The Garrycastle Minors lost out to Shannon Gaels in the first round of this years Minor Championship in Tubberclair on Wednesday night. The Garrycastle team got off to a slow start, and soon found themselves a couple of points behind to a hungrier Shannon Gaels side. They eventually opened their account with a point from Colm Lynch, following a quick free from Bill Kelly. However, the home team added a number of points in succession to lead by 6 points at the quarter hour mark. The Garrycastle team were guilty of squandering some good chances for play and frees, and kicked no fewer than eight wides in the same period.

As the game entered the second quarter, Garrycastle finally started to put scores on the board, scoring four points in a row from Philip Monahan (one from play, and one free), Conor Macken and Brian Ruane) to narrow the gap. Garrycastle were very much in charge during this period, but the wides count also steadily increased, and this was to come back to haunt the Garrycastle team, as half-time approached, when they got caught with a classic counter-attack to leave the score Shannon Gaels 1-7, Garrycastle 0-5 at the break.

Both teams traded points at the start of the second half, with the Garrycastle score coming from Eoin Mulvihill. The home team were then awarded a penalty after a goalmouth scramble, and duly scored to leave the Garrycastle team with an uphill struggle to get a result. Instead, it was the home team who pushed on to take a comfortable win in the end. To their credit, the Garrycastle lads did not stop trying, and hit the post or crossbar no less than three times in the closing quarter, but only had a single point from Colm Lynch to show for their efforts.


Matthew McBride, Cillian Lyons, Brian Leahy, Loic Gately, Jack Brody, Eoin Mulvihill (0-1), Shane Duffy, Bill Kelly, Colm Lynch (0-2), Andrew Monahan, Jack O’Connor, Brian Ruane (0-1), Conor Macken (0-1), Conor Mulvihill, Philip Monahan (0-2, 1f).

Subs: Dylan Keegan for Philip Monahan (40 mins), Caolan Jameson for Cillian Lyons (55 mins), Philip Monahan for Conor Macken (55 mins).

Under 16 League (Div 2) [11 July 2016]


Garrycastle secured their second win in the league in this high scoring encounter in Garrycastle last Monday evening. However, they had to rely upon a number of under 14 players, because of the absence of a number of players, to even field a team.

Garrycastle almost had a perfect start, as in the game’s first attack when Andrew Monaghan cut through the Lilliput Gaels defence and his shot for goal struck the crossbar and rebounded to safety. However, it was Lilliput Gaels who had the better of the early exchanges and had scores with a pointed free and one from play to lead. The visitors added two further points, both from play, to open up a four point lead by the 10th minute. However, the Garrycastle lads responded well and a goal from Andrew Monaghan was followed up immediately with a point from the same player to level matters. A good passage of play from Garrycastle opened up the visitor’s defence and Ian Carroll was on hand to fire to the net and put his side into the lead at the mid-point of the first half. In their next significant attack, Andrew Monaghan broke through and fired a goal for Garrycastle and this was soon followed with a point from Eoin Mulvihill to steer Garrycastle into a seven point lead by the 17th minute. Lilliput Gaels hit back strongly and a goal was soon followed by a point to reduce the margin to just three points. The sides were level soon after as Lilliput Gaels broke through for their second goal. Garrycastle regained the lead with a point from Andrew Monaghan but the visitors were soon ahead as they had a third goal as the first half drew to a close. Lilliput Gaels leading by 3-5 to 3-3 at the break.

Garrycastle had the better of the early exchanges and drew level within a couple of minutes of the restart with points from Ian Carroll and Andrew Monaghan. Lilliput Gaels then had a period of dominance and raced into a significant lead with a goal, two points from play, and a fifth goal in the 42nd minute to stretch their lead to eight points with just bovver a quarter of the game remaining. The Garrycastle lads showed great heart and determination and put together their best period of play in response. Andrew Monaghan had a point from a free and the same player also pointed from play. Dylan Keegan chipped in with a point and Andrew Monaghan pointed from a free to reduce the margin to 4 points with seven minutes remaining. A goal from corner forward Nathan Breslin brought the gap down to just a point and the Garrycastle lads soon took the lead as Eoin Mulvihill was on the end of a good attack and shot for goal despite being under severe pressure. Lilliput Gaels responded with a point, their first score in over 15 minutes, to leave the minimum between the sides with just a couple of minutes remaining. Garrycastle ran down the clock and kept possession to run out winners by a single point on a score-line of 5-9 to 5-8.

This was a game dominated by both attacks and Garrycastle were somewhat lucky to emerge winners at the death. However, to come back from a deficit of eight points and lead by two in just seven minutes of play shows the spirit among the lads and no mean skill. Best for Garrycastle on the night were Tommy Devery, Cathal Redmond, Daniel McManus, Eoin Mulvihill, Ian Carroll, Andrew Monaghan and Nathan Breslin.

The U16 management would like to express their thanks to each of the U14 players who fielded and played so well on the night.

GARRYCASTLE: Patrick McKiernan, Tommy Devery, Robert Kelly, Cathal Redmond, Daniel McManus, Cillian Lyons, Daniel Guinan, Eoin Mulvihill (1-1), Dylan Keegan (0-1), Jack Fitzgerald, Fergal Mullin, Ian Carroll (1-1), Nathan Breslin (1-0), Andrew Monaghan (2-6, 0-2f), Cian Dowling.

Under 14 League [4 July 2016]

Garrycastle under 14s recorded a great victory over neighbours Athlone last Thursday evening in their final league game in Páirc Chiaráin. Played in slippery conditions after heavy rainfall both teams served up an entertaining game.

Garrycastle responded to a bright start from Athlone through some excellent scores from Luke Clinton and Corey Nugent after well worked moves. Garrycastle stretched their lead coming up to half time with goals from the excellent Charlie O’Connor and Nathan Breslin. A particular highlight of the half was some super long range points from Daniel McManus, Tommy Stephens and captain Diarmuid Carey. The second half was somewhat of a low scoring affair. However, Garrycastle added a further goal and points to put the seal on the victory. A super save from Eric Rogers kept a good move from Athlone at bay.

Overall this was a very good performance from the lads and showed what this team is capable of. Eric Rogers was excellent again in goal and is improving with every game. The back 6 of John Dylan, Nathaniel, James, Cathal, Diarmuid and Ryan were commanding all night. Our two midfielders Tommy and Daniel ran their hearts out as always and were equally adept both defending and attacking. The forward line of Sean, Ben, Corey, Charlie, Nathan and Luke took their scores excellently and with a little better decision making could possibly have had more scores. The introduction of Peter, Stephen and Adam added more life to the team when legs were tiring and Garrycastle ran out winners.

This concludes a good league campaign for Garrycastle with wins over Athlone, Moate and Milmore being the highlights. Near misses against the league’s top sides were unfortunate but it bodes well for championship.

Well done to all and keep up the hard work.

Minor League, Div. 2 [18 June 2016]

In the final round of this years Division 2 Minor League, a very understrength Garrycastle team were defeated by a determined Caulry team. Missing players on the night due to Leaving Cert exams, Holidays and Gaeltacht trips, the Garrycastle team struggled from the off to make an impression in the game.

Caulry started strongly and had the first few scores, before a point from Brian Ruane got Garrycastle off the mark. Already chasing the game, Garrycastle had no choice but to push forward, but were caught on a number of occasions by quick counter attacks from the home team. They battled on however, and cut the deficit with points from Cathal Mannion and Conor Mulvihill, before the best Garrycastle move of the first half saw Dylan Keegan raise a green flag after some great approach play from Cathal and Conor.

Garrycastle made a number of positional switches at the break, moving Conor to full-forward, and Colm Lynch out to the centre of the field, and these seemed to have paid off when Conor won a penalty after being pulled down after making an excellent high catch. However, Cathal pulled the penalty shot wide of the left-hand post, and the chance to close the gap was wasted. To their credit, the team never gave up, and kept on trying to reduce the deficit, and were rewarded with further points from Brian, Cathal and Conor. However, on the evening the win deservedly went to the home team.


Jack O'Connor, Jack Brody, Brian Leahy, Loic Gately, Cillian Lyons, Ross Mulvihill, Shane Duffy, Bill Kelly, Conor Mulvihill (0-2), Brian Ruane (0-2, 1f), Cathal Mannion (0-2, 2f), Andrew Monaghan, Conor Macken, Colm Lynch, Dylan Keegan (1-0).


Tommy Devery for Dylan Keegan (50 mins), Sean Mulvihill for Conor Macken (50 mins).

U12 County Football League Group C [17 June 2016]

Garrycastle 3-5, Rosemount 1-12

The U12 boys welcomed Rosemount to Garrycastle on Wednesday evening for round 6 of the league. There was a humid feel to the evening after some torrential down pours over the previous two days but the pitch was in excellent condition and an enthralling game of football was about to unfold on it.

The only way to describe this game was the proverbial game of two halves. Rosemount dominated the first half and were getting the scores on the board. Garrycastle despite some good passages of play were finding it difficult to convert their chances into scores and at half-time Rosemount held a commanding lead.

The second half saw a Garrycastle team transformed, the half-back line were now getting on top and stemmed the flow into the Rosemount forwards. Any ball that got close to the Garrycastle goal was mopped up in the full back line with Jack Mulvihill and John McBride in particular making the needed clearances. With the defence unit now much more secure the tide started to flow in Garrycaslte’s favour and the scores started to come.

Midway through the second half Ben Dunegan slotted home a fine goal to cut the deficit. Further scores followed with well taken points from Con O’Hara and Brian Mulvihill. Garrycastle had utilised all their substitutes at this stage and they were making the needed impact; an explosive finish ensued. There were further goals from Thanh McCay and Francis Derwin to make it a one point game with full time approaching. Garrycastle piled on the pressure to try get the needed score and went so very close in the final plays of the game but Rosemount held out to win by the narrowest of margins.

Garrycastle squad

Bill Carmody, John McBride, Jack Mulvihill, Con O’Hara, Tadgh McKiernan, Diarmuid Murtagh, Brian Mulvihill, Conor Sheehan, Frank McKiernan, Andrew Ruane, Ben Dunegan, Jamie Carroll, Conor McCarthy, Francis Derwin, Killian Redmond, Cian McCormack, Tom Daly, Oisin Nugent, Thanh McCay.

U12 County Football League Group C [2 June 2016]

Castledaly 1-7, Garrycastle 4-11

The Garrycastle U12 boys made the short trip to Castledaly for round 5 of the league.

It was a warm sunny evening with a very slight breeze into the clubhouse end of the ground, match conditions were perfect. Garrycastle dominated the early exchanges in midfield and the half-forward line. This led to some excellent scores from the full-forwards with Ben Dunegan taking some fine scores including two goals. Castledaly to their credit

came back and knocked over some well taken points. Garrycastle finished the half with another goal from Oisin Nugent to leave it 3-3 to 0-4 at the break. Castledaly started the second half strongly and scored an early goal. Garrycastle defended strongly as a unit from that point on with Frank McKiernan and John McBride particularly impressive. This laid the foundation for the team to push on and get some well taken scores at the other end. Garrycastle dominated the last quarter of the game taking their scoring chances well including a fine goal from Andrew Ruane to win comfortably in the end.

Garrycastle squad

Tadgh McKiernan, Tom Daly, John McBride, Conor McCarthy, Frank McKiernan, Con O’Hara, Killian Redmond, Conor Sheehan, Brian Mulvihill, Thanh McCay, Andrew Ruane, Oisin Nugent, Mathew Connor, Jamie Carroll, Ben Dunegan, Jack Mulvihill, Cian McCormack

Under 16 League (Division 2) [30 May 2016]


Garrycastle’s under 16s recorded their first win in the league in perfect conditions in Garrycastle last Monday evening against Multyfarnham.

Multyfarnham opened strongly and registered their first point in the 2nd minute. Multyfarnham continued to enjoy the majority of possession as the Garrycastle lads struggled to get any meaningful passages of play together. The visitors stretched their lead with a goal in the 13th minute and at that stage looked set to build further on the lead. However, the Garrycastle side showed great character and reeled them back with three unanswered points over the next six minutes. The Garrycastle scorers were Dylan Keegan, Brian Ruane, and a free from Andrew Monaghan. The Garrycastle lads continued to press and jumped into the lead with a well taken goal from midfielder Brian Ruane in the 19th minute. It could even have been better for the home side a couple of minutes later but Nathan Breslin saw his effort on goal crash off the crossbar and rebound to safety. Multyfarnham tacked on a point soon after but Garrycastle had the final say on the scoreboard with a pointed free from Andrew Monaghan leave it 1-4 to 1-2 in his side’s favour at the break.

The second period started in much the same manner as the first with Multyfarnham having the majority of possession. The visitors restored parity on the scoreboard with a pointed free and one from play in the opening minutes. A good attack from Multyfarnham lead to the creation of a good goal opportunity, however, Garrycastle goalkeeper Patrick McKiernan made a fantastic save to deny them a green flag and the danger was cleared. Garrycastle began to work their way back into contention and their efforts were rewarded a couple of minutes later, when Brain Ruane was on the end of some very good approach play and crashed the ball to the Multyfarnham net to put his side ahead again. Multyfarnham responded in style to this setback and hit over two points in quick succession, the first from a free and the second from play. The play was ebbing from one end to the other and it was Garrycastle who took a decisive step towards victory in the 49th minute as Fergal Mullin was on hand to raise a third green flag for the Garrycastle side. Multyfarnham came back strongly and a point in the 50th minute reduced the margin. However, Andrew Monaghan pointed from play to restore the margin to four points with about seven minutes remaining. A goal from the visitors in the 55th minute left just a point separating the sides as the game entered its closing stages. A pointed free from Andrew Monaghan doubled their lead to two with time running out. However, as Multyfarnham pressed forward they did manage a point as the game entered added time. The final whistle from Referee, Pat Fox, signalled a win for Garrycastle on a score-line of 3-6 to 2-8.

Having narrowly lost a couple of tight games in earlier rounds of the league, Garrycastle were delighted to come out on the right side of this result. This was a good team performance, given that a number of strong panel members were absent. There were good performances from Patrick McKiernan in goal, Mathias O’Neill, Cathal Redmond, and Cillian Lyons in defence. Brian Ruane worked tirelessly in midfield and chipped in with two goals and a point. Jack Fitzgerald linked up play well from the half forward line and was well supported by Andrew Monaghan after he switched from midfield to attack in the second half. Ryan Cornally also showed up well at corner back on his introduction as a substitute.

GARRYCASTLE: Patrick McKiernan, Tommy Devery, Mathias O’Neill, Cathal Redmond, Daniel Guinan, Cillian Lyons, Ian Carroll, Andrew Monaghan (0-4, 3f), Brian Ruane (2-1), Fergal Mullin (1-0), Dara Keena, Jack Fitzgerald, James Dempsey, Dylan Keegan (0-1), Nathan Breslin.

SUBS: Ryan Cornally for J Dempsey; Cian Dowling for D Keegan.

Under 16 League (Div 2) [16 May 2016]


The Garrycastle under 16s went under to a heavy defeat in sun drenched Garrycastle last Monday evening. Missing a number of regulars, they were always going to find it tough against a strong Millmore Gaels outfit and had to draft in a number of U14 players to field.

Millmore Gaels enjoyed the majority of possession early on and registered a couple of early points, one from open play and one from a free. The home side had a point on the board in the 9th minute from Brian Ruane following some good approach play. However, Millmore Gaels hit back with a determined attack and were awarded a penalty as the Garrycastle defence struggled to contain their next attack. The penalty was expertly dispatched to the Garrycastle net. A pointed free was soon followed by the visitors second green flag to open up a sizeable gap in the score line. The Garrycastle lads responded in style to these setbacks and points from Fergal Mullin and Brian Ruane reduced the margin. The teams exchanged points, the Garrycastle score coming from the boot of Andrew Monaghan. The same pattern was soon repeated with a point for each side with the Garrycastle effort coming again from a free by Andrew Monaghan. The visitors closed out the half with another point to leave them ahead on a score of 2-6 to 0-5 at the break.

The second half proved to be a less even contest, as the Garrycastle lads struggled to make any headway against a resolute visiting defence. While having some good possession and passages of play the Garrycastle lads had only a couple of points from Andrew Monaghan to show for their efforts in the second half. Garrycastle conceded three goals in the second period, with a couple of these being of the “soft” variety. Millmore Gaels ran out deserving winners on a score line of 5-11 to 0-7.

This was a disappointing performance from Garrycastle, particularly in the second half. However, despite defeat there were some promising performances from the boys in green and red. Tommy Stephens, Nathanial O’Neill, Mathias O’Neill, Cillian Lyons and Daniel Guinan worked tirelessly throughout. Andrew Monaghan had a good game in midfield and chipped in with some good scores. Dylan Keegan and Fergal Mullin were most prominent in attack.

GARRYCASTLE: Patrick McKiernan, Tommy Stephens, Nathanial O’Neill, Tommy Devery, Mathias O’Neill, Cillian Lyons, Daniel Guinan, Brian Ruane (0-2, Andrew Monaghan (0-4, 1f), Dylan Keegan, Dara Keena, Fergal Mullin (0-1), James Dempsey, Ian Carroll, Saumil Sharma.

SUBS: Cian Dowling for J Dempsey (35 min); Cathal Redmond for S Sharma (38 min); James Dempsey for Tommy Devery (55 min) Saumil Sharma for Ian Carroll (56 min).

Under-10 Joe Matthews Memorial Tournament, St. Lomans [5 May 2016]

The Garrycastle Under-10 group travelled to St. Loman's on bank holiday Monday to take part in the "Joe Matthews Memorial" football tournament. This tournament gathers 16 teams from across the county, divided into 4 groups of 4, with semi-finals and finals at Cup, Trophy, Shield and Plate level. Due to the bank holiday, and other sports finals, it was a much reduced panel of only 11 players available on the day.

Garrycastle were drawn in a group with Mullingar Shamrocks, St. Marys Rochfortbridge and Kilbeggan/St.Josephs.

Our first game was against Kilbeggan/St. Josephs, and playing on the astroturf pitch, with the aid of a strong wind in the first half, the Garrycastle lads started strongly and soon had a number of scores on the board. The strong wind made conditions difficult, but the lads kept at their task, and had a good lead at the break. Turning to play into the wind, they continued to pile on the pressure, and ran out convincing winners in the end.

Our second match against St. Marys Rochfortbridge was a tougher affair, and even though the Garrycastle lads had the majority of possession, some wayward shooting saw them trail at the half-time break. They were a much improved team in the second half, and though they came very close in the end, St. Marys held on to win by two points.

The third pool match against Mullingar Shamrocks was the decider then to see what semi-final level we would play at. The Shamrocks team were very strong, but some great tackling and passing from the Garrycastle lads saw them lead at the half-time break. As the second half started, the rain teemed down, but both teams to their credit kept trying for the win, and this time it was Garrycastle who were more clinical to win out by a single point.

In the draw after the pool games, Garrycastle were placed in the Cup semi-final, where we faced The Downs. This was our first game of the day on a grass pitch, and after a few minutes to get acclimatised with the bounce on grass, the Garrycastle lads powered forward to take a well deserved lead at half-time. Driving on in the second half, they gave The Downs no opportunity to get back into the game, and ran out strong winners in the end.

This result teed up a Cup final game against near neighbours Moate All-Whites. This was a real end-to-end game. Garrycastle opened the scoring with a point from Andrew Henson, before Moate levelled a couple of minutes later. Garrycastle took the lead again with a score from James McHugh, but back came Moate again to level the game at the half-time break. Moate struck first in the second half but their lead was short lived as Jack Allen stepped up with a fine point from play, Again both teams traded score (Garrycastle's from Aaron Keegan and James), and the teams could not be separated. As the game entered its last few seconds, it was heartbreak for the Garrycastle lads as Moate scored with literally the last kick of the game.

Overall, this was an excellent run-out for the Garrycastle lads. Although disappointing to lose by a single score in the final, they all deserve great credit for their enthusiasm, effort and skill as dislayed in all five matches.

There will be other days most definitely for this talented group of players.

Many thanks also to the great support from the sidelines - as good and better than any other team on the morning. It makes a huge difference to these young players to get such great support.


Anthony Mannion, Killian Keegan, Jack Allen, Dean Grehan, Sean O'Donoghue, Dylan Frawley, Rian Gaynor, Aaron Keegan, Andrew Henson, Niadh Shine, James McHugh.

Under 16 League (Division 2) [2 May 2016]


The Garrycastle under 16s played travelled to Bunbrosna for their second their first league match of the year to take on Inny Gaels last Monday evening. Playing into a strong breeze, the Garrycastle lads went behind in the 3rd minute but equalised with a point from Brian Ruane. Garrycastle edged ahead courtesy of a fine point from Andrew Monaghan. Inny Gaels had a lot of possession and responded with two points, one from a free and one from open play, to take a narrow lead by the 11th minute. Parity was restored soon after when Eoin Mulvihill was on the end of a good move to point for Garrycastle. The home side continued to have the lion’s share of the possession and registered three points in succession to establish a good lead. Points from play by Jack Fitzgerald and Dylan Keegan reduced to gap to just a point by the 26th minute. However, the home side finished to half strongly and registered three points, all from play, in the closing minutes of the first period. Inny Gaels lead by 0-9 to 0-5 at the break.

Garrycastle needed to up their performance and had a point in the opening minute of the second half rom Eoin Mulvihill to reduce the arrears. Unfortunately a quick kick-out from Garrycastle was intercepted and the ball was dispatched to the net to leave Inny Gales in a strong lead in the 239th minute. Patrick McKiernan made a very good save to prevent Inny Gaels registering a second goal. From the resultant 45, the home side worked another point to give them a lead of 1-10 to 0-6. Garrycastle responded by upping their game and a good goal from Eoin Mulvihill gave them renewed hope of getting something from the game. Cillian Lyons broke forward and added a point form play as Garrycastle threw everything into attack as the game entered the final 10 minutes. Dylan Keegan reduced the gap even further with a good point. However, the home side did break forward to register a point and leave 3 between the sides with just six minutes remaining. Garrycastle continued to dominate possession and had a couple of opportunities, both for points and goals, but had only a pointed free from Brian Ruane to show for their efforts. As time ran out Cillian Lyons broke forward and exchanged passes with Saumil Sharma but his effort on goal was just wide of the post with the Inny Gaels goalkeeper beaten. The final whistle sounded soon after to leave it 1-11 to 1-9 in favour of Inny Gaels.

The Garrycastle lads will be very disappointed with their first half display, but played with more determination and skill in the second half. While missing a number of players, they can take some positives from this defeat. The full back line were solid throughout and Cillian Lyons and Andrew Monaghan worked tirelessly in defence throughout and provided some good moments in attack also. Eoin Mulvihill had a great second period and chipped in with 1-2 from play. Jack Fitzgerald showed some fine touches in attack.

GARRYCASTLE: Patrick McKiernan, Tommy Devery, Robert Kelly, Daniel Guinan, , Cillian Lyons (0-1), Mathias O’Neill, Andrew Monaghan (0-1), Eoin Mulvihill (1-2), Brian Ruane (0-2, 1f), Dylan Keegan (0-2), Ian Carroll, Jack Fitzgerald (0-1), Nathan Breslin, Saumil Sharma.

Minor League Division 2 [23 April 2016]


The Garrycastle Minors suffered a disappointing defeat away in Kinnegad on Wednesday evening. Playing with the benefit of a strong wind, but playing into a blinding low sun, Garrycastle started well, and soon had two points on the board from Philip Monahan and Cathal Mannion. Kinnegad came into the game more and scored two points of their own, either side of an excellent move from the Garrycastle half-forward line, which set up Colm Lynch to take a great point from play. A further point from Bill Kelly (from a 45) saw Garrycastle well in control at the midway point of the half. However, some indecision down the right-hand side of the field saw a Kinnegad forward allowed a straight run at goal, and he took the chance to put the home team ahead. Garrycastle were rocked by this setback and conceded two further points before Conor Mulvihill scored a good goal while under severe pressure, followed by a pointed free from Cathal to put Garrycastle back in front. Just on the stroke of half-time the home team equalised to leave the game all square at the break.

Playing against the wind in the second half, the second half was always going to be tough, and so it proved, as the home team quickly kicked 4 points in a row to leave them in charge. A single point from Cathal was all that Garrycastle had to show for a sustained period of pressure in the middle of the second half, when possession was squandered on too many occasions. A second goal from the home team, 10 minutes from full time, effectively ended the contest.

This was a mixed display, with some excellent football being played by the Garrycastle lads especially in the first half, but the absence of substitutes when fresh legs were required, and some poor decision making while in possession cost the team dearly.


Matthew McBride, Caolan Jameson, Brian Leahy, Mark Denby, Jack Brody, Ross Mulvihill, Sean Mulvihill, Bill Kelly (0-1, 1 ’45), Conor Mulvihill (1-0), Conor Macken, Cathal Mannion (0-3, 3f), Brian Ruane, Colm Henry, Colm Lynch (0-1), Philip Monahan (0-1, 1f)

Under 16 League (Division 2) [19 April 2016]


The Garrycastle under 16s played their first league match of the year when hosting Killucan in Garrycastle last Monday evening. The Garrycastle lads made a bright start and registered a point from wing back Andrew Monaghan in the opening minute. The game was very open with both sides prepared to attack and it was a surprise that it took almost eight minutes for the next score to arrive, an equaliser from Killucan with a close range free. Garrycastle soon went ahead with a pointed free form Brian Ruane but this was quickly replied to with a point from play for the visitors. Killucan mounted a dangerous attack and Garrycastle goalkeeper, Patrick McKiernan, made a smart save to prevent a goal, and a follow-up effort on goal was deflected for a 45 by Cillian Lyons. Garrycastle had a good spell in the middle of the first half and points from Andrew Monaghan, Brian Ruane and Fergal Mullin had the home side three points to the good by the 20th minute. Brian Ruane registered yet another point from a place ball as the game entered the last five minutes of the half. Killucan did score a point from a free in the second minute of added time to leave it 0-6 to 0-3 in Garrycastle’s favour at the break.

The visitors made a bright start to the second period and registered two points from play in the opening five minutes of the half. Brian Ruane steadied matters with a point for Garrycastle after very good approach play. The play was from flowing from end to end and Killucan had a point from play with a reply from Fergal Mullin in the 45th minute. Killucan then registered two points in quick succession, both from play, to leave the sides level by the 48th minute. Garrycastle responded to this with a great goal from Nathan Breslin in their next attack and this was quickly followed by a point from Andrew Monaghan to leave the home side with a four point advantage with ten minutes of play rermaining. Killucan showed great character in their response to this set-back and a goal in the 52nd minute was quickly followed-up with a point to level matters again by the 54th minute. The visitors took the lead for the first time in the 57th minute but Garrycastle responded with a point from a free by Brian Ruane. There was heartbreak for the Garrycastle lads when the visitors broke forward in added time to grab a goal with their very last attack of the game and secure the win.

The Garrycastle boys played with great heart and determination, and no little skill throughout. While disappointed with the outcome, they can take a lot of positives into their remaining games. If they learn from their errors in this game they can improve and come out on the right side of other tight games. There were particularly good performances from Patrick McKiernan, Cillian Lyons, Robert Kelly, Fergal Mullin, Eoin Mulvihill and Andrew Monaghan in defence. Brian Ruane worked tirelessly and chipped in with good scores from play and from placed balls. Nathan Breslin, Darragh Keena and Saumil Sharma were most prominent in the attacking third.

GARRYCASTLE: Patrick McKiernan, Cillian Lyons, Robert Kelly, Daniel Guinan, Fergal Mullin (0-2), Eoin Mulvihill, Andrew Monaghan ((0-3), Dylan Keegan, Brian Ruane (0-5, 3f), Nathan Breslin (1-0), Daragh Keena, Owen Keogh, Ian Carroll, Jack Fitzgerald, Saumil Sharma.

Minor League Division 2 [13 March 2016]


Garrycastle were first off the mark with a point from play by Cathal Mannion. This was a false dawn however, as the Lilliput Gaels combination team took over and scored 1-5 without reply. Garrycastle did have opportunities from frees and open play but rushed the chances a little and did not benefit from them. As the end of the first half approached, a fine point from Brian Ruane and a pointed free from Cathal left five points between the sides.

Conor Mulvihill replaced Brian Ruane at half-time, and his presence in the centre of the field helped Garrycastle to narrow the gap somewhat with points from Oisin Langan and two from Cathal (one a free). However, indiscipline in the half-back line cost Garrycastle dearly, as Lilliput Gaels scored five points in succession, all from frees. It got worse for the Garrycastle team when Conor was shown a black card, seeing the introduction of Colm Henry and a re-shuffling of the Garrycastle midfield and forwards.

A further blitz of 4 points from Lilliput Gaels effectively put this game out of Garrycastle's reach, although they did continue to threaten and almost had a goal with a fine effort from Cathal. As the game entered the last five minutes, Colm Henry was fouled in the area, but Cathal was unable to convert the subsequent penalty, driving the ball over the bar.

A match that had absolutely no rancour of any sort then boiled over in added time, with a bout of handbags in the middle of the field. Once the dust had settled, the referee handed out a number of red and black cards, including a straight red card to Mark Denby. It was a somewhat pointless end to what had been a fine game of football.


Matthew McBride, Caolan Jameson, Brian Leahy, Mark Denby, Sean Mulvihill, Ross Mulvihill, Jack Brody, Eoin Mulvihill, Oisin Langan (0-1), Conor Macken, Colm Lynch, Brian Ruane (0-1), Jack O'Connor, Cathal Mannion (0-6, 4f), Philip Monahan.

Subs: Conor Mulvihill (for Brian Ruane, half-time, inj), Colm Henry (for Conor Mulvihill, 42 mins, black card).

Minor League Division 2 [7 March 2016]


Garrycastle minors will be slightly disappointed to go down in their first outing of the year against Shannon Gaels, (a combination of Tubberclair, Tang and Maryland), in Tubberclair last Thursday. With ten minutes to go there was just a point between the teams but a strong finish from Shannon Gaels saw them deserved winners by eight points. A strong start from Garrycastle went unrewarded with Bill Kelly, Cathal Mannion and Colm Lynch linking up well to create chances which were spurned. Although points from Kelly, Brian Ruane and Lynch kept Garrycastle in the game, at the other end Shannon Gaels were way more economical with their chances, leaving Garrycastle frustrated to be 1-8 to 0-5 down at half time.

Garrycastle started the second half very well with Eoin Mulvihill, Bill Kelly and Conor Mulvihill becoming more prominent around the middle and the impressive Colm Lynch linking with Jack O’Connor to get 1-2, to set up an exciting finish. However, Shannon Gaels dominated the closing stages and a well-taken goal sealed Garrycastle’s fate. This was a decent game for the time of year and Garrycastle will find a lot of positives, particularly their workrate, with a few players out injured. Best for Garrycastle was Colm Lynch.

TEAM: Matthew McBride, Mark Denby, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Jack Brody, Eoin Mulvihill, Sean Mulvihill, Bill Kelly, Conor Mulvihill, Colm Lynch, Cathal Mannion, Philip Monaghan, Jack O’Connor, Brian Ruane, Conor Macken.

Subs: Andrew Tone, Cillian Lyons, Jack Fitzgerald, Oisin Langan.