Match Reports Adult

All County League (Div 6B) [4 November 2018]


The division 6 team continued their recent good from when they defeated Bunbrosna on Sunday morning last. Played as a 13-side game Garrycastle gained the upper-hand from the start with two early Paul O'Donovan points. With Garrycastle dominating the exchanges the scoring rate was slow before a goal and a point by Conor Duignan and two Fergal McKiernan points brought the scoreline to 1-5 to 0-1. A good run through the middle by Eoin Mulvihill yielded a point before a second Conor Duignan goal brought Garrycastle’s halftime score to 2-6 to 0-2.

Facing the wind and hill in the second half the Garrycastle lads found the going much tougher. The defence were under a lot of pressure during the first twenty minutes but with patient dogged defending they made it difficult for Bunbrosna to get scores but were outscored 0-5 to 0-1, the point coming from a Paul O'Donovan free. An injury to Conor Duignan and a black card for Noel Galvin disrupted Garrycastle’s play. With the score at 2-7 to 0-7 Garrycastle regained control and were rewarded with points from Enda Keena, a third point from Fergal McKiernan and a late point from Eoin Mulvihill.

This was a good all round team performance with high workrate, composure and plenty of good football. This completes the round games in the division and leaves Garrycastle on nine points, a point behind leaders Tang.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Ben Kennedy, Sean Carey, Adam Keena, Enda Keena, Eoin Mulvihill, Conor Duignan, Sean Doak, Ross Mulvihill, Noel Galvin, Fergal McKiernan, Eoin Duignan, Paul O'Donovan.

Subs Conor Macken, Darren O’Neill.

All County League (Div 6B) [28 October 2018]


After a long time since the last game the division 6 team dusted off the boots and recorded an excellent win against Tang on Sunday last in Garrycastle. Twenty players, a combination of experienced and inexperienced, wore the green and red on Sunday with a feature of the game being the excellent performance of the younger players. Tang started the stronger and got an early lead but the Garrycastle lads got going and a goal by Karl Henson brought them within two points at halftime.

The second half was a topsy turvy affair with the lead changing hands a number of times. Goals from Brian Ruane and a late one by Paul Mulvihill ensured that Garrycastle led by a couple of points at the final whistle. The introduction of young fresh legs in the second half was a great boost to Garrycastle.

GARRYCASTLE:- Shane McEnery, Adam Keena, John Murphy, Conor Duignan, Enda Keena, Karl Henson, Sean Doak, Dylan Keegan, James Duignan, Peadar Mulvihill, Robbie Shine, Eoin Duignan, Brian Ruane, Andrew Monaghan, Paul Mulvihill.

Subs used: Darragh Kenna, Kilian Lyons, Fergal Mullins. Also Noel Galvin, Richie Byrne.

Under-20 Football Championship [14 October 2018]


A young Garrycastle team exited the under 20 championship away to Caulry in sunny Mount Temple on Sunday morning last. After the throw in Brian Ruane came in at the end of a move to score a neat point. However, Caulry got on top scoring six points in the next ten minutes. A Jason Nugent point brought the score to 0-6 to 0-2 after 17 minutes. Then a swift garrycastle move opened up the Caulry defence and end with a Joe Carmody goal. Two more Caulry points followed when a Joe Carmody pass found Jason Nugent who netted. The halftime score was 2-2 to 0-8.

The Garrycastle supporters were getting hopeful of victory but this was shattered in the third quarter which Caulry dominated adding six points before a long ball in deceived the goalie leaving the score 1-14 to 2-2. In the latter stages Garrycastle launched attacks and were going for goals when points were on. Two more Caulry points completed the scoring leaving the final score 1-16 to 2-2. The Garrycastle team only contained one twenty year old. The players showed that they have loads of ability and looked like a team who should be very competitive in this competition next year.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Daniel Guinan, Robert Kelly, Conor Macken, Fergal Mullen, Dylan Keegan, Kilian Lyons, Eoin Mulvihill, Andrew Monaghan, Jason Nugent (1-1), Brian Ruane(0-1), Darragh Kenne, Ross,Mulvihill, Joe Carmody (1-0), Philip Monaghan.

Subs:- Ian Carroll for Conor Macken.

Senior Championship, Semi-Final [7 October 2018]


Garrycastle exited this years senior championship at the semi-final stage at the hands of St. Lomans in TEG Cusack Park on Sunday afternoon. The old adage of goals winning games was certainly true here, as two second-half goals from St. Lomans were effectively the difference between the teams.

On a bright day, but with a very strong wind blowing down the pitch from the Dunnes Stores end, Garrycastle, playing with the wind in the first half, found themselves a point down within the first minute. However, they responded immediately when a quick free was pointed by Dessie Dolan. Garrycastle were having the better of the play in the early stages, but a string of three wides in a row, the first from Gary McCallon after a patient build-up, then from James Dolan after great work from Jonathan Mcguire and Dessie, and finally Dessie from a close-in free, gave some indication of the difficult conditions. A pointed from Dessie following a foul on Doron Harte eased Garrycastle in front, before the best opportunity for a goal in the first half went untaken, as an overhit pass from James Dolan found Alex Gardiner in on goal, but his low shot fizzed across the face of the goal and wide.

Conor Cosgrove added two further points, the second from a free, to stretch Garrycastle's lead by the middle of the first half. It took all of twenty minutes for St. Lomans to get their second score, but this was immediately cancelled out with a free from Dessie. The Garrycastle goal then had a narrow escape, with Anthony Larkin making a last ditch clearance. A point from play by James Sheerin extended the lead to four points with half-time approaching, but then in the space of three minutes no fewer than three Garrycastle players were yellow-carded, and St. Lomans' John Heslin kicked two points, (one from a free moved closer after some dissent was shown to the referee), to leave Garrycastle ahead by two points at the break, on a scoreline of Garrycastle 0-6, St. Lomans 0-4.

The belief in the stand was that a two-point lead was not enough having played with the wind, and this was brought starkly into focus when St. Lomans goaled with their first attack of the second half. Smart use of the wind, saw a high ball being sent into the Garrycastle square, and a failure to clear the danger, allowed a St. Lomans corner forward to turn and shoot, and put his side into the lead. To their credit, Garrycastle rallied immediately and levelled the game once again with a pointed free from Conor Cosgrove. However, St. Lomans were making the best of the conditions in the first part of the second half, and took the lead again with two points from the prolific John Heslin, (one from a free). Garrycastle were struggling, with passes going astray and giving up possession cheaply, but levelled the game once more with a superb pointed 45-meter kick from Alex Gardiner, and a free from Conor Cosgrove.

Immediately, though, came the turning point of the match. Having put so much effort into drawing level, Garrycastle were caught on the counter attack, when a hopeful St. Lomans ball was allowed over the half-back line to find a St. Lomans corner forward in behind, and he gave Shane Moran in the Garrycastle goal absolutely no chance with a powerful shot to the back of the net. St. Lomans added another point from a free to open up a four-point gap by the middle of the second half. The short kick-out strategy employed by Garrycastle was also not working as planned, as St. Lomans pushed high up the field, making life very difficult for Garrycastle to break out of their own half.

A pointed free from Conor Cosgrove narrowed the gap again, but then a trio of points for the St. Lomans team, the last from a 45-meter free, extended their lead to six points with eight minutes of normal time remaining. That was to be their last score however, and Garrycastle pushed hard to reduce the lead. Alex Gardiner was fouled just on the edge of the square, and Dessie tapped over the resultant free. Then, not long after being introduced, a line ball decision against Ger Heneghan, when the ball did not seem to have gone out, resulted in a straight red card for the same player, after the linesman brought the referee's attention to something he had said.

This seemed to spur the Garrycastle team onwards, and another pointed free from Dessie with five minutes of normal time remaining narrowed the gap between the teams to four points. As time played out Garrycastle had a couple of wides which could have closed the gap further, but also were thankful to goalkeeper Shane Moran for a great stop right on the end of normal time. Final attempts to push for scores caused some consternation for St. Lomans when faced with high balls coming in, but they weathered the storm, and so it was St. Lomans who advanced to the final in two week's time.

Overall, the Garrycastle team will be disappointed with this result. Even with Dessie orchestrating the Garrycastle attacking efforts, with the wind being such a major factor, a wider cushion was needed at the half-time break for safety. A total of only two points from open play also speaks of the difficulties Garrycastle had with getting scores from open play.


Shane Moran, Anthony Larkin, Mark McCallon, Gary McCallon, James Dolan, Matthew Guiheen, Mark Curley, Doron Harte, James Sheerin (0-1), Tom O'Halloran, Conor Cosgrove (0-5, 4f), Eoin Monaghan, Jonathan Mcguire,

Alex Gardiner (0-1, 1 '45), Dessie Dolan (0-5, 5f).


John Gaffey for Anthony Larkin (43 mins), Michael Monaghan for Mark Curley (45 mins), Ger Heneghan for Jonathan McGuire (47 mins), Jason Nugent for Dessie Dolan (55 mins).

Senior Championship Quarter-Final [23 September 2018]


Garrycastle played near neighbours Athlone in the quarter-final of this year's Senior championship, in Tubberclair on Sunday afternoon. On a fine day, but with a strong blustery wind blowing almost directly across the pitch, the Garrycastle team settled the quicker, and led the game from start to finish.

Garrycastle signalled their intent with a point in the first minute from Dessie Dolan, a high ball into the wind, and doubled the lead shortly afterwards with a fine point from Alex Gardiner, following some excellent build-up play from Eoin Monaghan and Tom O'Halloran. A second point from Alex, followed by a pointed free from Conor Cosgrove saw Garrycastle four points in front by the fifth minute. The game was being totally controlled by Garrycastle in the early stages, and the Athlone team were finding it difficult to get out of their own half, and indeed it took them until the twelfth minute to open their account, with a point after intercepting a wayward Garrycastle hand pass.

However, Garrycastle stepped up a gear again, and three points in a row from Alex, one from a free, extended their lead again, and at the twenty-minute mark, Garrycastle were six points in front. Athlone did tap over two further points before the break, either side of another point from Alex, who saw his free kick drop short, but won the ball back from the attempted clearance and slotted over the bar. At the half-time break, Garrycastle led on a score line of 0-8 to Athlone 0-3.

Athlone started the second half brightly, but missed a couple of chances to score. Then, after just two minutes, the linesman on the stand side drew the referee's attention to an issue involving Garrycastle's Matthew Guiheen and Athlone's Mickey Greene. To the surprise of everyone, he then handed straight red cards to both, without any indication as to why. Down to fourteen men, Garrycastle responded with a point from Alex, before giving up two points to the opposition. Conor Cosgrove replied with a free following a foul on James Dolan. The game then turned scrappy, with both James Dolan and Dessie Dolan picking up yellow cards within a couple of minutes of each other. Back to the scoreboard, Alex knocked over another point, before James Sheeran, following some great approach play knocked over his first point of the afternoon. Garrycastle were well in charge as the game entered the last quarter, and the Garrycastle side-line started making some changes, introducing Ger Heneghan in place of Dessie Dolan.

Tom O'Halloran was then gifted a great chance, when a wayward Athlone kick-out was kicked straight to him, and he duly dispatched another point to leave Garrycastle up by seven heading into the last 10 minutes. A final point from Athlone was bookended by a couple of Garrycastle wides, before Michael Monaghan, having just been introduced, knocked over a good point to end the scoring for the day.

As normal time approached, both teams were reduced to 13 players, James Dolan picking up a second yellow. Into injury time, and a serious looking hand injury to Doron Harte, who had put in a huge hour, resulted in him having to leave the field, to a great round of applause.

Overall, an impressive game for Garrycastle, who started the game at a high tempo, and led from start to finish. The straight red card handed to Matthew Guiheen is a worry before the semi-final, but otherwise this can be seen as a job well done. A special mention must go to Alex Gardiner, who had one of those days when practically everything he tried worked out, and he had perhaps one of his best games in the green-and-red.

Team and scorers:

Shane Moran, Anthony Larkin, Mark McCallon, Gary McCallon, James Dolan, Mark Curley, Matthew Guiheen, Doron Harte, James Sheeran (0-1), Tom O'Halloran (0-1), Conor Cosgrove (0-2, 2f), Eoin Monaghan, Cathal Mannion, Alex Gardiner (0-8, 2f), Dessie Dolan (0-1).


Ger Heneghan for Dessie Dolan (46 mins), Michael Monaghan (0-1) for Cathal Mannion (52 mins), Jonathan McGuire for Eoin Monaghan (57 mins), Eoin Monaghan for Conor Cosgrove (60 mins), James Duignan for Doron Harte (62 mins, inj).

Senior Football Championship Group 2 [16 September 2018]


Garrycastle qualified for a quarter final meeting with Athlone in this one sided contest played in Tang on Sunday evening last. They started without the injured Ger Henaghan and John Gaffey and with Dessie Dolan in the starting fifteen after being declared fit. After an early fright, when county player Kieran Martin ran through the Garrycastle defence in the first minute to open the scoring with a goal, Garrycastle settled and put 1-4 on the board in less than 10 minutes, with James Dolan goaling. Then a rare Maryland attack ended with a penalty which they converted. Shortly after Alex Gardiner netted after a ball came off the post. James Dolan added another goal in the 22nd minute after receiving a pass from Dessie Dolan and before halftime another 8 points were added to Maryland’s two. An Alex Gardiner goal was disallowed for a square ball. The halftime score was 3-12 to 2-2.

Playing against the wind in the second half didn’t slow the Garrycastle rate scoring much. Tom O'Halloran’s penalty crashed off the crossbar in the 5th minute and over the bar. Substitute Jason Nugent added the fourth goal in the 45th minute after a good run. Eight more points were added during the second half. The Garrycastle management ran in their allocation of substitutes during the second half. Two Maryland players received red cards during that second half which added to their difficulties.

From Garrycastle‘s point of view it was a job done and top place in the division acquired. The movement of the team was impressive resulting in many good scores. However, the ease with which Maryland scored two goals in the first half will give management plenty to work on.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Anthony Larkin, Mark McCallon, Mathew Guiheen, James Dolan (2-3), Doran Harte (0-1), James Sheeran, Tom O'Halloran (0-4), Conor Cosgrove (0-2), Eoin Monaghan (0-1), Cathal Mannion (0-3), Alex Gardiner (1-4), Dessie Dolan (0-1).

Subs James Duignan for Dessie Dolan; Jason Nugent (1-1) for Tom O'Halloran; Bill Kelly for Anthony Larkin; Gary Mullery for Mark McCallon; Sean Brennan for Doran Harte; Sean O'Donoghue for James Sheeran.

Senior Football Championship Group 2 [9 September 2018]


The Garrycastle team maintained their unbeaten record in this years championship when playing out a draw against Rosemount in Athlone on Sunday evening. Playing conditions were less than perfect, and both teams struggled to cope at times with the strong wind which was blowing lengthways up the pitch from the town end.

Some early promise from the Garrycastle side yielded no scores on the board, before Rosemount opened the scoring with a free in the seventh minute. The opening stages were very scrappy, with many unforced errors on both sides, and this was typified by Rosemount's second score, which resulted from a dropped ball close to the Garrycastle goal. Garrycastle had a number of wides, before Tom O'Halloran was put clean through, but his shot was well saved at the expense of a 45-meter free, which was duly converted by Ger Heneghan to get Garrycastle off the mark. Rosemount were having the better of the play, however, and tapped over two further points to lead by three at the 20-minute mark. Some excellent Garrycastle pressure on the Rosemount kickout yielded a second point from Ger Heneghan before a Rosemount score from a free after Garrycastle were unable to clear their lines re-opened the gap to three points. Ger Heneghan won and converted a free to narrow the gap again, before Garrycastle had perhaps their best spell of the half, and converted two chances to level the scores as half-time approached. There were also a number of missed opportunities due to rushed decision making and poor passes. James Dolan was introduced for his first start of this years championship just before the break, but it was Rosemount who closed out the scoring with a pointed free, to leave the half-time score as Garrycastle 0-5, Rosemount 0-6.

Garrycastle introduced Damien Rushe at the start of the second half, and started brightly, equalising with a pointed free from Conor Cosgrove after a foul on Doron Harte, who was on the receiving end of some hefty challenges during the game. Rosemount then had a short spell where they added a point from a free followed by a very well-worked goal, when a high ball sent in on the wind was expertly caught close-in and finished to the net, giving Shane McEnery in the Garrycastle goal no chance. To their credit, the Garrycastle team responded almost immediately with a goal of their own from the boot of Conor Cosgrove following some well-worked and patient build-up play, and swapped points with Rosemount, the Garrycastle effort from Ger Heneghan after some good work from Gary McCallon. A surging run from the back by Matthew Guiheen could have resulted in a score, but Garrycastle had a lucky let-off a few moments later when a high ball from a free, resulted in a mix-up in the goal-mouth, which the Garrycastle defenders were glad to see result in a wide. As the game entered the final quarter-hour, Michael Monaghan was introduced to the fray, but his time on the field was short-lived as he was injured almost immediately, and was in turn replaced by Jason Nugent.

A foul on James Dolan was punished by a free from Conor Cosgrove to level the game with a little over 10 minutes remaining. At this stage, Dessie Dolan was introduced, but a Garrycastle opportunity was missed, and instead Rosemount struck for a point, with the best score of the game, a huge kick from the far sideline. A gilt-edged opportunity for Garrycastle, straight in front of the goal was squandered, before James Sheeran scored the equalising point following some very patient build-up play. As the game entered time added-on, a free against Garrycastle at the 45-meter free was moved closer following some arguing with the referee, and it was duly pointed to put Rosemount back in front again.

Again Garrycastle threatened, and when James Dolan was fouled, Alex Gardiner stepped up to land a huge point against the wind off the ground to level matters again. The same player had one final opportunity to give Garrycastle the win, when a foul on Dessie Dolan was penalised outside the 45 meter line, but his effort drifted agonisingly wide to the left of the posts, and the referee immediately blew to signal an end to the game.

Final score was Garrycastle 1-10, Rosemount 1-10.

Overall, a draw was probably a fair result, as neither team coped particularly well with the windy conditions, and a lot of the play was scrappy, with passes going astray, and a lot of poor decision making on both sides. The result leaves Garrycastle in a strong position at the top of Group 2 with one league round to play.


Shane McEnery, Anthony Larkin, Mark McCallon, Gary McCallon, Matthew Guiheen, John Gaffey, Jonathan McGuire, Doron Harte, Eoin Monaghan (0-1), Cathal Mannion, Conor Cosgrove (1-2, 2f), James Sheeran (0-1), Tom O'Halloran, Alex Gardiner (0-2, 1f), Ger Heneghan (0-4, 2f)


James Dolan for Tom O'Halloran (30 mins), Damien Rushe for John Gaffey (half-time), Michael Monaghan for Jonathan McGuire (44 mins),Jason Nugent for Michael Monaghan (Inj, 46 mins), Dessie Dolan for Ger Henegan (50 mins),Tom O'Halloran for Cathal Mannion (58 mins).

Senior Football Championship Group 2 [19 August 2018]


The senior team had their third championship win on Sunday evening in Tubberclair at the expense of Castledaly. From the second minute Garrycastle were in control of the game, but while threatening to put Castledaly away they never succeeded. Defensive frailties showed early in the game when Castledaly missed an early goal chance and also had a penalty saved by Shane Moran for a 45 metre kick which was converted. Some of their attacking play was of a high standard but their defensive performance was not. They also found it hard to regain possession from their own kickouts. With the score at 4 points to 3 after 19 minutes good play by James Sheeran released Cathal Mannion who fed Tom O'Halloran who goaled. Shortly after, Conor Cosgrove brought a good save from the Castledaly goalie. Garrycastle added another five points to Castledaly's three, leaving the halftime score at 1-9 to 0-6.

Garrycastle added the first two points of the second half but from the 3rd to the 10th minutes Castledaly added four to their tally to reduce the lead to four. Three on the trot from the 15th to the 18th minute restored Garrycastle's seven point lead. Two late Castledaly points to Garrycastle's one completed the scoring. On the positive side Garrycastle had seven different scorers and showed good movement in attack. In midfield Doran Harte worked very hard and shipped a lot of punishment while Eoin Monaghan probably had his best ever game in a Garrycastle jersey. However the defence conceded too many frees, some of which were not converted, and still the majority of Castledaly's scores came from placed balls.

The next round is against Rosemount and is scheduled for the weekend of September 7th-9th.

Team: Shane Moran, Anthony Larkin, Mark McCallon, Gary McCallon, Mathew Guiheen, Mark Curley, Michael Monaghan (0-1), Eoin Monaghan (0-2), Doran Harte, Cathal Mannion (0-4), Conor Cosgrove (0-2), James Sheeran (0-1), Tom O'Halloran (1-2), Alex Gardiner, Ger Henaghan (0-3).

Subs: Damien Rushe for Conor Cosgrove, Jason Nugent for Cathal Mannion, Jonathan Maguire for Michael Monaghan.

Junior Football Championship (Group 3) [16 August 2018]


The Junior team claimed the points in this final game of the championship, played in Tubberclair on Thursday evening last. This game was very keenly contested in spite of the fact that neither team could qualify. Playing against the wind in the first half Garrycastle struggled to stay in touch and after 15 minutes were 0-5 to 0-1 behind. The Garrycastle midfield were unable to compete in the air with the very tall Tubberclair pair. However, in the second quarter they broke more ball and began to get a grip in the game and as a result outscored Tubberclair 0-3 to 0-2. Late in the half two good goal chances for the Garrycastle forwards went abegging. The halftime score was 0-7 to 0-4.

Tubberclair scored the first point before Garrycastle took over the game scoring nine points without reply to lead by 5 points with 5 minutes of normal time remaining. Tubberclair got a second wind then and ran at the Garrycastle defence which they found difficult to deal with. The game finished after 6 and a half minutes of injury time with Tubberclair adding three points to their tally. In those final eventful minutes two black cards were issued to Garrycastle players who were defending desperately and a Tubberclair appeal for a penalty was waved away. This was a hard earned win for Garrycastle with many players doing very well and it was good to see fine performances from the youngest members of the team - Kilian Lyons, Eoin Mulvihill and Brian Ruane.

GARRYCASTLE:- Michael Fagan, Gary Mullery, John Murphy, Sean Carey, Enda Keena (0-1), Sean O'Donoghue, Kilian Lyons, Sean Doak, Ciaran ONeill (0-2), Eoin Mulvihill, Peadar Mulvihill (0-1), Adam Keena, Mark Denby, Robbie Shine (0-5), Brian McCormack (0-3).

Subs Brian Ruane (0-1) for Mark Denby; Darren O'Neill for Peadar Mulvihill; Conor Macken for Kilian Lyons; Fergal McKiernan for Adam Keena.

Senior Football Championship Group 2 [4 August 2018]


Garrycastle gained two very valuable championship points on Saturday evening last in Rosemount in an incident packed game. There was controversy towards the end of eight minutes of injury time with the awarding of a penalty to Shamrocks. Garrycastle had been three points ahead going into injury time. Shamrocks pressurised looking to level and were awarded by a point at 33 minutes to reduce the lead to two points. Play continued and a high ball into the Garrycastle penalty area was caught by a Shamrocks player who was surrounded by defenders and in the ensuing play the referee deemed that a foul was committed by the defence and awarded a penalty which was brilliantly saved by goalkeeper Shane Moran and knocked out for a 45. The game eventually ended when the Garrycastle defence gained possession from the 45. During that action packed injury time red cards were issued to a Shamrocks and Garrycastle player and a black card to a Garrycastle player. It was a pity that a game that had been well contested by both sides had ended in controversy. Overall Garrycastle had played a lot of good football but were very leaky in defence conceding two goals and calling on Shane Moran to bring off two fines saves in the 53rd and 54th minutes. The early lead was taken by Garrycastle but by the 16th minute Shamrocks had levelled. Then a high ball across the Shamrocks square by Cathal Mannion was knocked to the net by James Sheeran. However, with a four point lead Shamrocks replied with a goal of their own in the 21st minute. Three Garrycastle points on the trot built the four point lead again but two late Shamrocks points reduced the halftime lead to two, 1-7 to 1-5.

Garrycastle increased their lead to three before a Shamrocks goal after 5 minutes levelled matters. Two further Shamrock’s points left Garrycastle under pressure with 43 minutes gone. However, they regained the initiative and responded with 5 unanswered points to give them a three point lead at the end of normal time. The highlight of those points occurred when a dispossession by John Gaffey inside his own 45 metre line was fed to Alex Gardiner who made a brilliant to the 20 metre line and his high shot was retrieved from going wide by the same John Gaffey, who had made up the ground, and a free was won which Cathal Mannion scored. This was an entertaining game with some good football and great battles between players, none better that between Doran Harte and Denis Corroon, which Doron shaded. The next outing for the senior team is versus Castledaly.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Mark McCallon, John Gaffey, Gary McCallon, Michael Monaghan (0-1), Mathew Guiheen, Mark Curley, Eoin Monaghan, Doran Harte, Tom o'Halloran, Conor Cosgrove, James Sheeran(1-1), Cathal Mannion (0-2), Alex Gardiner (0-4), Ger Henaghan (0-4).

Subs Des Dolan for Conor Cosgrove: Jason Nugent (0-1) for Tom O’'Halloran.

Junior Football Championship [17 July 2018]

Garrycastle 1-13 Rosemount 2-12

The Junior team dropped two valuable championship points to Rosemount in a lacklustre performance in Garrycastle recently. Garrycastle started slowly and were led by 1-4 to 0-2 after 12 minutes and from then to halftime the home team reduced the lead to four , 1-7 to 0-6.

Trailing, by four points at the start of the second half they initially failed to make any progress with points being shared by the teams. A serious injury to Paul Gunning, led to a lengthy delay. A long ball into the Garrycastle goalmouth was misjudged by the defence and it ended in the net increasing the Rosemount lead to seven points. A purple patch for Garrycastle saw them adding 1-4 to their tally and drawing level, the goal came from Conor Cosgrove. Rosemount got a second wind and got three points on the trot with five minutes to go. Two Garrycastle points reduced the lead to 1 but a late point from Rosemount gave them a two point win. The slow start that Garrycastle had ultimately cost them as they were always playing catch up and were unable to take the lead in the game. The fixture versus Caulry was conceded by Caulry Next on the list for this team is a home match with Tyrellspass which will be vital to stay in the hunt for qualification to the knockout stages.

GARRYCASTLE:- Shane McEnry, Gary Mullery, Mark Curley, Bill Kelly, Enda Keena, Eoin Mulvihill, Sean Carey, Gavin Ward, Neil Rhatigan, Brian McCormack (0-1), Damien Rushe, Paul Mulvihill (0-1), Paul Gunning, Conor Cosgrove (1-3), Robbie Shine (0-6).

Subs Ciaran O’Neill (0-1) for Paul Mulvihill: Anthony Larkin for Sean Carey; Cathal Mannnion (0-1) for Paul Gunning; James Duignan for Brian Mccormack; Jonathan Maguire for Damien Rushe.

Senior Football Championship Group 2 [21 July 2018]


Garrycastle started their Senior Football Championship journey with a win against St. Marys Rochfortbridge in Moate on Saturday evening. Garrycastle started brightly, and opened the scoring with a free from Ger Heneghan within the first minute of play. St. Marys responded with two points of their own, before a run of three points in a row, two from Tom O'Halloran and one from Mattie Guiheen following a driving run upfield, moved the Garrycastle team two points in front.

St. Marys pulled a point back from a close-in free, before some excellent work in the middle of the field saw James Sheeran deliver a pinpoint pass to Alex Gardiner who finished the ball to the net to move Garrycastle further in front. It was all Garrycastle at this stage, and further points from Mark McCallon and another free from Tom O'Halloran saw their lead stretch out to 6 points with 20 minutes played. However, St. Marys came back into the game, and aided by some loose play and poor passing by Garrycastle, scored the next two points to narrow the lead. Indeed, it took Garrycastle more than 10 minutes to add to their score, trading a further two points with St. Marys, the scores coming from Ger Heneghan and Eoin Monahan. Garrycastle had a lucky break just before the half-time break, as Shane Moran was called on to make a point-blank save, deflecting the ball over his crossbar for a point.

At the half-time break, Garrycastle led on a scoreline of 1-08 to 0-07.

The second half started well for Garrycastle, and although an early free was missed, a nice flowing move involving Cathal Mannion saw Ger Heneghan float over a nice point. However, St. Marys pushed forward again, and a high floated ball into the Garrycastle goalmouth was punched to the net, to narrow the gap between the teams to just 2 points. Garrycastle almost responded in kind immediately, but after a great surging run by Alex Gardiner, the final pass was inches away and the opportunity passed. St. Marys scored again to narrow the lead to the minimum, and the Garrycastle team were struggling to break down the St. Marys defence. A pointed free from Ger Heneghan gave some breathing space. before an excellent move started from a quickly taken free by Ger, found Michael Monahan, whose pass to Alex Gardiner was expertly slotted between the posts. A further free from Ger saw the lead stretched to 4 points with 10 minutes remaining.

Again though, Garrycastle seemed to take their foot off the pedal, and two points from St. Marys in quick succession, one from a free, narrowed the lead to just two points. As the end of normal time beckoned, a fracas in the St. Marys goalmouth saw Jonny McGuire being shown a straight red card, and now reduced to 14 men, Garrycastle were pushed back on the back foot again. It wasn't until the second minute of injury time that a late free from substitute Conor Cosgrove steadied the ship, and the Garrycastle team and supporters were happy to hear the final whistle, with the final scoreline showing Garrycastle the victors by 1-13 to 1-10.

Overall, a win is the most important thing in championship football, but while the Garrycastle team showed flashes of the form that won them the League Division 1 title a couple of weeks back, they also seemed to lose their way for periods of time in both halves of the game, making the game harder for themselves than it needed to be.

Team and scorers:

Shane Moran, Anthony Larkin, Matthew Guiheen (0-1), Mark McCallon (0-1), Gary McCallon, John Gaffey, Michael Monaghan, Jonathan McGuire, Doron Harte, Eoin Monaghan (0-1), Ger Heneghan (0-5, 3f), Tom O'Halloran (0-3, 2f), Cathal Mannion, James Sheeran, Alex Gardiner (1-1).

Substitutes: Jason Nugent for Anthony Larkin (49 mins), Sean Brennan for Tom O'Halloran (55 mins), Conor Cosgrove (0-1, 1f) for Cathal Mannion (60 mins)

All County League (Div. 1) Final [30 June 2018]

Garrycastle 2-17, St. Lomans 1-18

On a blistering evening in Cusack Park on Saturday evening last Garrycastle defeated St Lomans in a game that had everything fought out over a tough 90 minutes. Doran Hart in his acceptance speech of the cup, presented by Seamus Nugent, gave great credit to his team and also to St Lomans for producing a fine game of football. This game started very tamely for Garrycastle who were 1-2 behind after five minutes and looked completely out of sorts. However, they came alive then and points from Alex Gardiner (2, frees), Eoin Monaghan (1) and Cathal Mannion (1) to 1 for Lomans left the score 1-3 to 0-4 after 20 minutes. At this stage of the game Eoin Monaghan and Doran Harte were dominating the midfield possession but the attack were unable to breach the tight Lomans defence. Two goal chances for Doran Harte and Alex Gardiner were blocked during this period. Garrycastle had the ball in the Lomans net after a quick free but was called back for not kicking the free the required 13 metres. Tom O’Halloran had another goal chance that was just wide of the post. Lomans’ scores at this stage were coming from counter attacks when they were breaking very fast from defence. Garrycastle ‘s last point of the half came from another Alex Gardiner free to leave the score at halftime 1-5 to 0-5.

In the early stages of the second half a Lomans player got a straight red card and soon after another one got a black card. Alex Gardiner was unlucky to have two shots come off the post. The first score of the second half was a Lomans point replied to by a Gary McCallon point. A clumsy foul by Eoin Monaghan resulted in a black card. A foul on Cathal Mannion resulted in a free which was scored by Alex Gardiner. Michael Monaghan and Jason Nugent(2) reduced the lead to 2 in the 24th minute. Garrycastle were in control of possession at this stage but finding it hard to score. However, St Lomans lifted the siege and broke up the field to score two points to leave 4 points between the sides going into injury time. A long ball into Tom O’Halloran saw him judge it perfectly and find the net. With only a point between the sides Garrycastle pressed for an equaliser. A John Gaffey surge forward ended with a wide, a long range free by Alex Gardiner tailed wide but finally Gary McCallon kicked a smashing point from near the sideline to bring the game to extra time, the score 1-11 each.

In the first period of extra time Alex Gardiner caught a long ball and smashed a goalbound shot off the outside of the post. At the other end Shane Moran brought off a great save when a goal seemed certain. Soon after a Lomans midfielder was off target when shooting for goal. Points from frees by Tom O’Halloran and Alex Gardiner to 3 for Lomans gave Lomans a point lead at the break.

In the early stages of the 2nd period Jason Nugent found the net after a sweeping move but Lomans fought back with 2 points to level again. A late James Sheeran point seemed to be the winner for Garrycastle, but Lomans fought back gamely to level again. Another two periods of extra time was announced. The tired players continued to produce football and battled on bravely. Lomans took the lead again with a point. However, the last 3 scores went Garrycastle ‘s way with Cathal Mannion and the re-introduced Sean Brennan getting 2, one from a 45 and one from play.

This was a game that had everything – that provided great entertainment for the small crowd present. It was a game that Garrycastle spent a long time chasing and were finding it hard to take the lead but determination and perseverance eventually broke the resistance and gave them the victory. There was exceptional courage and heart shown by all the players but special mention must be given to the most senior members, John Gaffey and Doran Harte; and the youngest player, Jason Nugent, who showed great skill and most importantly leadership.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Anthony Larkin, Mathew Guiheen, Gary McCallon (0-2), Neil Rhattigan, John Gaffey, Sean Brennan (0-2), Eoin Monaghan (0-1), Doran Harte, Damien Rushe, Tom O’Halloran (1-1), Michael Monaghan (0-1), Cathal Mannion (0-2), James Sheeran (0-1), Alex Gardiner (0-5 frees).

Subs: Jason Nugent (1-2) for Sean Brennan; Mark Curley for Eoin Monaghan; Bill Kelly for Damien Rushe, Sean Brennan for Alex Gardiner; Enda Keena, for Anthony Larkin.

ACL (Div. 1) [26 June 2018]


Played in Garrycastle on Tuesday evening this division 1 game gave the home side the points they needed to ensure qualification for the league final. After a slow start by the Garrycastle side during which they conceded 1-2 they began to win possession in the middle of the field and find their scoring boots after 10 minutes. During the next 11 minutes they scored 1-8 before Miltownpass scored again. Gary McCallon scored the goal, coming in at the end of a number of passes, after initiating the move. Two more points left the halftime score 1-10 to 1-3.

An injury to Mark McCallon midway through the first half forced his substitution with Neil Rattigan replacing him. Miltownpass scored first the first point in the second half but it was replied to by a James Sheeran goal. In the next 12 minutes Garrycastle outscored their opponents by 4 points to 2 before Cathal Mannion added a third goal. The management then emptied the bench for Garrycastle. After another Ger Henaghan point Miltownpass got 3 unanswered points before Garrycastle finished with 2 points. Miltownpass’s county players caused their opponents some trouble with a great tussle developing between Finbar Coyne and Mathew Guiheen. In the middle of the field Sam Duncan outfielded Jonathan Maguire for a period in the first half but Jonathan figured out how to play him and began to break the ball with his colleagues completely dominating the breaks. The Garrycastle lads used the ball better, their movement and passing led to scoring chances being created.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Anthony Larkin, Mathew Guiheen, Mark McCallon, Gary McCallon, John Gaffey, Bill Kelly, Jonathan Maguire, Doran Harte, Tom O'Halloran, Eoin Monaghan, Ger Henaghan, Cathal Mannion; James Sheeran, Alex Gardiner.

Subs: Neil Rattigan for Mark McCallon; Jason Nugent for Bill Kelly; Conor Cosgrove for Tom O'Halloran; Sean Brennan for Doran Harte; Damien Rushe for Jonathan Maguire and Enda Keena for Alex Gardiner.

Junior Championship Group 3 [16 June 2018]


Garrycastle welcomed Athlone in the first round of this years Junior Championship, in Garrycastle on Saturday evening. On a windy, blustery evening, both teams played some great football, and at the end, the teams could not be separated on the scoreboard.

The visitors played with the benefit of the wind in the first half and had the first score on the board. Garrycastle replied with a point from Cathal Mannion when the possibility of a goal was on. Athlone were winning the midfield at this stage of the game, and aided by some good marks from the Garrycastle kick outs, moved into a two point lead (their third coming from a forty-five. The Garrycastle team re-grouped, however, and with points from Jason Nugent and Sean Brennan, and a pointed free from Conor Cosgrove moved into the lead. Athlone soon equalised with a point of their own, before Garrycastle scored their first goal of the evening, a great effort from Paul Mulvihill, following great work from Sean Brennan and Cathal Mannion. Both teams traded points, the Garrycastle score coming from a converted free by Conor Cosgrove, before a mix-up in the Garrycastle defence left an Athlone forward in on goal and he dispatched the ball to the net giving Garrycastle goalkeeper Shane Moran no chance.

The Garrycastle team responded to this setback in style, when Cathal Mannion finished a nice pass from Sean Brennan to the net after Bill Kelly had lofted a high ball into the danger area. A point immediately afterwards from Jason Nugent stretched the lead, before the visitors pulled a point back just on half-time.

The score at half-time was Garrycastle 2-6, Athlone 1-6. However, the referee had scored the first half differently, showing Athlone on a score of 1-7 much to the surprise of the assembled supporters of both teams.

The second half started well for Garrycastle with points from Sean Brennan and Cathal Mannion stretching the lead out to four points. Athlone narrowed the gap with a pointed free, before a lapse of concentration in the Garrycastle defence saw Athlone score their second goal when the ball was not cleared cleanly from the danger zone. The visitors tacked on another point to take the lead, but this was soon pulled back with another Cathal Mannion point, after a great pass from Paul Mulvihill.

With quarter of an hour left, a Sean Brennan point put Garrycastle back in front, although a goal was most certainly on. A run of three unanswered points from the visitors put them back into a two point lead, before Garrycastle found the net for a third time, with Conor Cosgrove finishing off a move also involving Cathal Mannion and Eoin Monaghan. It may not have been a goal for the ages, but it put Garrycastle back in front as the clock ticked down, and the lead was stretched further with a point from Eoin Monaghan.

As normal time finished Athlone broke through and a goal seemed certain but for a fantastic save by Shane Moran in the Garrycastle goal. In added time, Athlone tacked on two late points to leave the game all square at the end, on a score of Garrycastle 3-11, Athlone 2-14.

This was a great open game of football with two teams who turned up to play, and with very few fouls committed by either side. Garrycastle will certainly have areas to improve on, not least of which is the temptation to argue with the officials, giving away position for no reason, making frees more scoreable. The Garrycastle side may feel a little aggrieved that the score mix-up by the referee cost them the game, but on the balance of play a draw was a fair result.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Gary Mullery, Anthony Larkin, Bill Kelly, Enda Keena, Sean O'Donoghue, Neal Rattigan, Jonny Mcguire, Sean Brennan (0-3), Eoin Monaghan (0-1), Damien Rushe, Jason Nugent (0-2), Cathal Mannion (1-3), Conor Cosgrove (1-2, 0-2f), Paul Mulvihill (1-0).

Subs: Paul Gunning for Jason Nugent (50 mins); Bryan McCormack for Sean O'Donoghue (56 mins); Shane McEnery, Adam Keena, Sean Doak, Paul O'Donovan, Sean Carey, Mark Denby, John Murphy, Peadar Mulvihill.

ACL (Div. 1) [12 June 2018]


Garrycastle suffered their first defeat in this years ACL Division 1 at the hands of near neighbours, Athlone, in the penultimate round of the league played in Athlone on Tuesday evening.

On a fine evening, perfect for football, the home team started brightly, and soon had an opening score on the board. Garrycastle responded well with two points from Ger Heneghan, the first an excellent kick from the left sideline, the second from a close in free. Garrycastle were working hard as a unit and also kicked a couple of wides before Athlone levelled the game on the 10 minute mark. The football on display was a little scrappy, but the Garrycastle team didn't mind as two further points from Conor Cosgrove (one a free), put them back in the driving seat. A potential goal opportunity was missed by Garrycastle, who then had to take a backseat as Athlone hit a purple patch, scoring three points without reply to regain the lead. The Garrycastle team re-grouped, and then hit a purple patch of their own, scoring four points without reply, two frees from Conor Cosgrove, and points from play by Ger Heneghan and Mattie Guiheen finishing off a raiding run from his corner back berth. A couple of close-in frees were missed as the half came to a close, and the home team struck for the last point of the half, following a foul conceded after a short kick-out was intercepted.

The halftime score had Garrycastle ahead by two points, 0-8 to 0-6.

The second half began on a similar pattern with the teams exchanging points, the Garrycastle scores coming from Michael Monaghan and Sean Brennan. Garrycastle were on top at this stage but were wasteful of the opportunities presented to them, kicking four wides in a row, two from what looked like very scoreable frees. The home team then narrowed the gap to a single point before the game turned on it's head midway through the half, when Athlone were awarded a penalty after Garrycastle goalkeeper Shane Moran was penalised for a foot block. The penalty was converted to give the home team a two point lead.

To their credit, Garrycastle responded well to this setback, and a great point from play by Alex Gardiner followed by a pointed free from Conor Cosgrove levelled the scores once more, with about 10 minutes left to play. However, instead of Garrycastle using this momentum to push on to get the win, it was the home team who took over completely, kicking 4 points without reply as the game entered its closing stages. Athlone were reduced to 14 men following a second yellow card for their wing-back, but even though a late surging run by Alex resulted in a '45 which he converted himself, it was Athlone who closed out the scoring to take the win.

The final score was Athlone 1-14, Garrycastle 0-13.

In many ways this was a game that Garrycastle left behind them, with the large number of wides kicked being a major contributor. However, up front they also found it hard to break down a very organised and hard tackling Athlone defensive formation, and they faded out in the final minutes when the game was still there for the taking.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Anthony Larkin, John Gaffey, Mattie Guiheen (0-1), Sean Brennan (0-1), Mark McCallon, Gary McCallon, Eoin Monaghan, Doron Harte, Michael Monaghan (0-1), Conor Cosgrove (0-5, 0-4f), Tom O'Halloran, James Sheerin, Alex Gardiner (0-2, 0-1f), Ger Heneghan (0-3, 0-2f).

Subs: Jonny McGuire for James Sheerin (48 mins); Jason Nugent for Conor Cosgrove (54 mins); Neal Rattigan for Sean Brennan (58 mins).

ACL (Div. 3) [10 June 2018]


Garrycastle's division 3 team gained two valuable league points on Sunday evening last when they defeated Tyrellspass in Garrycastle. The early stages of this game were evenly contested with the score at 1-2 to 0-4 for the home team after 12 minutes, the goal coming from Jason Nugent.

The Garrycastle lads dominated the next 10 minutes with a goal from Jonathan Maguire and 3 more points giving them a 7 point lead. Between then and halftime Tyrellspass added 3 points to Garrycastle’s 2 leaving the halftime score at 2-7 to 0-7.

The early stages of the second half saw Garrycastle increase their lead to 7 points when a challenge on Jonny McGuire player resulted in a red card for the Tyrellspass player. The remainder of the game was dominated by Garrycastle with them adding 1-7 to their total, Paul Mulvihill scoring the goal. This was a good performance by the home team who never relented when they got on top. The two points strengthens their position in the division.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Gary Mullery, Anthony Larkin, Bill Kelly (0-1), Enda Keena, Sean O'Donoghue, Sean Brennan (0-4), Jonathan Maguire (0-2), Eoin Monaghan, Brian McCormack (0-2), Damien Rushe (0-2), Jason Nugent (1-1), Paul Mulvihill (1-1), Conor Cosgrove (1-2), Paul Gunning (0-1).

Subs: Sean Doak For Jason Nugent; Conor Duignan for Eoin Monaghan; Peadar Mulvihill for Conor Cosgrove; Mark Denby for Paul Mulvihill; Ross Mulvihill for Sean Brennan; Shane McEnery.

ACL (Div. 6B) [8 June 2018]


An understrength Garrycastle team travelled to Rochfortbridge on Friday evening last to play the local team in a division 6B match and lost by 8 points.

Garrycastle scored the first point which was followed by the three points for Rochfortbridge . A goal by Paul O’Donovan after 12 minutes give Garrycastle the lead. Two further Rochfortbridge points were followed by another Paul O'Donovan point which left the sides level after 22 minutes. Late points for the home team give them a 2 point halftime lead on a scoreline of 1-4 to 0-9.

The first 10 minutes of the second half was where Garrycastle lost this game, conceding 1-7 during that

period. Garycastle had gone out of the game totally at the stage. Injuries to Padraig Cosgrove and Fergal McKiernan restricted their involvement in the game and disrupted the team. However when they had weathered the storm they fought back and battled on to score a further 2-4 to the opposition’s 1-3 with the goals coming from Paul Mulvihill.

The Rochfortbridge goal came from a late penalty.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane McEnery, Mark Denby, Alan Hanniffy, Brian Leahy, Ben Kennedy, Gary Mullery, Adam Keena, Conor Duignan, Sean Doak, Fergal McKiernan, Padraig Cosgrove, Bryan McCormack, Eoin Duignan, Paul O’Donovan, Paul Mulvihill.

Sub: Michael Fagan for Alan Hanniffy (halftime).

ACL (Div. 3) [3 June 2018]


Garrycastle picked up two valuable league points on Saturday evening last when they defeated Ballinagore in Garrycastle. This was a game in which Garrycastle built up leads on a number of occasions only to be pulled back with goals from the Ballinagore side. With the score at 4 points for Garrycastle Ballinagore got the first of their goals after 7 minutes. Garrycastle added 3 more points when Ballinagore got their second goal after 20 minutes. They added two more points to Garrycastle’s one to leave the halftime score level at 0-8 to 2-2. Conor Cosgrove was Garrycastle ‘s main scorer during the half getting 6 points with James Duignan and Enda Keena adding the other two. Ballinagore added 1-2 to Garrycastle ‘s one during the early minutes of the second half to lead by 4 points. The first of Garrycastle’s goals came then from Jason Nugent leaving a point between the sides. During the next 20 minutes Garrycastle outscored their opponents by 3-5 to 0-1 to lead by 3-14 to 3-5 and looking very comfortable. However two more goals were leaked before the end which reduced the lead to 3 points. Garrycastle’s second half scores came from Jason Nugent (1-1), Conor Cosgrove (2-1), Cathal Mannion (0-2), Eoin Monaghan (0-1) and Mark Curley (0-1).

ACFL (Div 1) [20 May 2018]

Garrycastle 1-16 Tyrellspass 0-6

Garrycastle ran out easy winners of this game played in Tyrellspass on Sunday morning. The first half started evenly with both teams scoring early points. After 13 minutes Garrycastle edged ahead with an Eoin Monaghan point followed by three more with no reply. Tyrellspass came back from the 22nd minute with two points before a late Ger Henaghan free gave Garrycastle a 3 point halftime lead.

The early stages of the second half saw Tyrellspass govery defensive but patience and perseverance saw Garrycastle add another 4 points to their tally by the 11th minute when Tyrellspass added a point. The remainder of the game was dominated by Garrycastle who outscored Tyrellspass by 1-6 to 0-1, the goal coming from Conor Cosgrove who finished the ball to the net. This was a dominant performance by the Garrycastle side with James Dolan outstanding and also very good performances by Mathew Guiheen, Doran Harte and Ger Henaghan. There’ll be harder games.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Enda Keena, Anthony Larkin, Mathew Guiheen, James Dolan, Sean Brennan, Neil Rhattigan, Doran Harte, Eoin Monaghan, Damien Rushe, Conor Cosgrove, Tom O’Halloran, Cathal Mannion, James Sheeran, Ger Henaghan.

Subs: Jason Nugent for Damien Rushe; Gary Mullery for Enda Keena; James Duignan for Eoin Monaghan; Paul Gunning for Cathal Mannion; Sean Carey for Doran Hart.

ACFL (Div 3) [18 May 2018]

Garrycastle 1-10 Miltown 5-12

Miltown overcame our division 3 team on Friday evening last in this league game played in Miltown. The first half of this game was even enough until a late goal for Miltown gave them a five point halftime lead, 2-5 to 0-6. An early Paul Gunning point for Garrycastle reduced the lead to 4 before a blitz of scoring, 2-3, by Miltown between the 31st and 39th minutes put the game out of Garrycastle’s reach, going 4-8 to 0-7 behind. In spite of an Aidan Brown goal Miltown ran out easy winners.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane McEnry, Gary Mullery, Anthony Larkin, Bill Kelly, Jason Nugent (0-1), Sean Brennan, Enda Keena, Jonathan Maguire, Aidan Browne (1-0), Paul Gunning (0-2), James Duignan (0-2), Ciaran O’Neill, Conor Cosgrove (0-4), Eoin Monaghan, Robbie Shine (0-1).

Subs: Sean Carey for Ciaran O’Neill; Conor Duignan for Enda Keena; Brian McCormack for Paul Gunning; Paul Mulvihill for Robbie Shine; Sean O'Donohoe for James Duignanl Ben Kennedy for Conor Duignan

ACFL (Div 6B) [19 May 2018]

Garrycastle 4-8 Athlone 2-14

The Garrycastle lads showed great character to came back from a 4 point deficit in the last few minutes to earn a well deserved draw. It was a see saw game in which both sides dominated at times. Playing with a strong wind Athlone dominated the early stages and built up a six point lead after 20 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of the half Garrycastle began to move the ball well and more than matched their opponents. The halftime score was 1-8 to 1-2, Garrycastle’s goal coming from Robbie Shine. On the resumption Athlone increased the lead to seven before Garrycastle got going again. Goals from Paul O'Donovan, and Paul Mulvihill as well as three points put Garrycastle ahead 3-6 to 1-10. However the tide turned again with Athlone scoring 1-3 between the 18th and 23rd minutes. But back came Garrycastle again and an exquisite lob by Robbie Shine, put the sides level again. An Athlone point in the 30th minute looked like the winner until a last Garrycastle attack yielded a good point by Bill Kelly. This was a great gutsy performance by Garrycastle with every player giving it his all.

GARRYCASTLE: Michael Fagan, Mark Denby, Sean Carey, Ben Kennedy, Conor Macken, Padraig Cosgrove, Cillian Lyons, Sean Doak (0-1), Bill Kelly (0-1), Brian McCormack, Peadar Mulvihill, Shane McEnery, Paul O'Donovan (1-1), Robbie Shine (2-4), Paul Mulvihill (1-1).

Sub Richie Byrne for Mark Denby.

ACL (Div. 1) [9 May 2018]


Garrycastle clawed back a five point deficit to win by two in this round 6 league game played in Lakepoint Park on Wednesday evening of last week. Early points from Tom O’Halloran and Alex Gardiner (2) were followed by a goal for Lomans. The remainder of the half was very even with both teams scoring four points, Garrycastle ‘s scores coming from Alex Gardiner (2), Doran Harte and Eoin Monaghan. The score at halftime was 0-7 to 1-4 with Garrycastle recording too many wides.

After James Sheeran’s point early in the second half Lomans replied with three points on the trot followed by a goal, giving them a five point lead. A Dessie Dolan free was followed by a Lomans point before Alex Gardiner scored a penalty to reduce the lead to two points. Another Dessie Dolan free was cancelled by a Lomans point before a goal from Tom O’Halloran gave Garrycastle the lead, 2-10 to 2-9. Late points by Alex Gardiner and Jason Nugent to one for Lomans left Garrycastle two up at the final whistle. This was a very open game with both sides playing positive attacking football. The Garrycastle lads showed battling qualities to overcome a five point deficit in the last twenty minutes.

Garrycastle: Shane Moran, Anthony Larkin, John Gaffey, Mathey Guiheen, Sean Brennan, Mark Curley, Jonathan Maguire, Aidan Browne, Doran Harte (0-1), Eoin Monaghan, Dessie Dolan, Tom O’Halloran, James Sheeran, Alex Gardiner, Ger Henaghan.

Subs:- Jason Nugent for Sean Brennan; Damien Rushe for Mark Curley; Cathal Mannion for Aidan Browne; James Duignan for Dessie Dolan; Enda Keena for Anthony Larkin.

ACFL Division 6 [7 May 2018]

Garrycastle 4-15 Maryland 1-7

This was Garrycastle ‘s first game in division 6 and was played as a 13 a side game due to Maryland’s lack of numbers which is as per rule for the competition. Garrycastle dominated from the beginning and never looked threatened. With Robbie Shine dominating inside and the midfield of Conor Duignan, and Sean Doak completely on top Garrycastle built up a 2-11 to 0-4 halftime lead. The second half continued like the first with Garrycastle players on top in almost every position. A foul on Conor Duignan, in the square resulted in a goal from Robbie Shine’s well taken penalty. This was a good all round performance with a good workrate from the players. Shane McEnry’s excellent kicking out caught the eye, Adam Keena was very solid in defence, Brian McCormack worked hard all around the pitch as well as Conor Duignan, Sean Doak and Robbie Shine.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane McEnry, Sean Carey, John Murphy, Mark Denby, Gary Mullery, Adam Keena, Conor Duignan, Sean Doak (0-3), Paul ODonovan (1-2), Padraig Cosgrove (0-1), Cillian Lyons (0-1), Brian McCormack (0-3), Robbie Shine(3-5).

Subs: Paul Mulvihill for Brian McCormack; Richie Beirne for John Murphy; Franco Doolin for Gary Mullery.

ACL (Div. 3) [4 May 2018]


Played in Kilbeggan last Friday evening, Garrycastle gained their fourth point of the campaign after surrendering a lead which was 12 points at one stage. There was complete dominance in the early stages by the Garrycastle lads and had a lead of 4-3 to 0-3 after 18 minutes. Kilbeggan began to get into the game and had the lead reduced to 7 at halftime, 4-5 to 1-7. Two points early in the second half and a goal after 45 minutes gave Garrycastle a lead of 5-7 to 1-9. In the remainder of the game Kilbeggan outscored the visitors by 11 points to 1. There was some controversy at the end about the scoreline but the one in the referee’s book said a draw. This was a league point that got away.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Gary Mullery, Mark Curley, Bill Kelly, Enda Keena (0-1), Sean Brennan, James Duignan, Anthony Larkin, Jonathan Maguire (0-1), Paul Gunning (0-1), Ciaran O’Neill , Jason Nugent (2-1), Cathal Mannion, Eoin Monaghan (1-0), Robbie Shine(1-2).

Subs Conor Cosgrove (0-1), Sean Carey, Brian McCormack (0-1), Paul O'Donovan.

ACL (Div. 3) [28 April 2018]


The feature of the first half was the scoring performance by Eoin Monaghan who scored Garrycastle’s total of 2-4. The early stages of the first half was even but as the half went on The Downs began to get on top and it took a Garrycastle goal just before halftime to level the game at 2-4 to 1-7. A scoring spree in the early stages of the second half by The Downs gave them a six point lead which laid the foundation for their victory. A spirited fightback by the Garrycastle lads saw them reduce the lead to two points. However, they were unable to maintain the momentum and conceded three late points to put five points between the sides at the end.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane McEnery, Gary Mullery, Mark Curley, Ben Kennedy, Bill Kelly, Sean Brennan (0-1), Cillian Lyons, Anthony Larkin, Ciaran O’Neill (0-1), Enda Keena, Damien Rushe, Jason Nugent (0-2), Brian McCormack, Eoin Monaghan (2-7), Paul O'Donovan.

Subs: Sean Doak for Paul O'Donovan; John Murphy for Ben Kennedy; Mark Denby for Brian McCormack

ACL (Div. 1) [25 April 2018]


This league game played on a wet and windy evening in Kinnegad saw Garrycastle run out easy winners despite a very defensive performance by the opposition. Garrycastle’s approach to facing a defensive formation was to push up on the opposition which proved worthwhile and was reflected in the scoreline. In control all through the game Garrycastle led by 0-8 to 0-2 at halftime. A goal from Tom O’Halloran early in the second half set the visitors on the road to victory. The management had the luxury of emptying the bench with ten minutes to go. After five rounds of games Garrycastle top the division with nine points. The next game in the league, away to St Lomans, is scheduled for Sunday May 6th.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Bill Kelly, John Gaffey, Gary McCallon, James Dolan (0-3), Mark Curley, Mathew Guiheen, Aidan Browne, Doran Harte (0-1), Tom O’Halloran (1-3), Eoin Monaghan, Michael Monaghan(0-1), James Sheeran, Alex Gardiner (0-1), Ger Henaghan (0-5,4 Frees).

Subs Jonathan Maguire for Aidan Browne; James Duignan for James Sheeran; Enda Keena, for Gary McCallon; Sean Brennan for Mathew Guiheen; Paul Gunning for Doran Hart; Jason Nugent for Ger Henaghan.

ACL (Div 1) [22 April 2018]

Garrycastle 3-12 The Downs 2-9

Played in Garrycastle on Sunday morning despite a tricky wind and having only fourteen men for 45 minutes of the game, the home team put in a good workmanlike performance to defeat the Downs by 6 points. In one of the first attacks of the game James Dolan made a good run forward setting up for James Sheeran to knock into the net, only for it to be disallowed for square ball. The next Garrycastle attack saw a good move end with Ger Henaghan netting. An off the ball incident brought a red card for Garrycastle full back Anthony Larkin. Two Downs points were followed by a point from Eoin Monaghan. Two more points from the Downs were followed by a Ger Henaghan point. Just at the end of normal first half time a high cross from Dessie Dolan was finished to the net by Alex Gardiner. A further Dessie Dolan point from a free left the halftime score at 2-3 to 1-4 in favour of the home side.

Playing with the help of the wind in the second half Mathew Guiheen added a point before James Sheeran added the third goal. Points followed from a Dessie Dolan free, Mathew Guiheen and Michael Monaghan who took a great pass from Dessie Dolan. Meanwhile the Downs had added 3 points since halftime to leave the score 3-7 to 1-7 after 51 minutes. For the next ten minutes it was the Ger Heneghan show who added four points, one from a free. A late James Dolan point completed the Garrycastle scoring. A late late goal from the Downs saw them reduce the lead to six points.

The Garrycastle players showed good attitude in this game and in general made better use of the ball than their opponents. It was quite a physical game with good hits given and taken by both sides. The ball handling and fitness of the Garrycastle players had improved from earlier in the year but discipline is an area that needs to improve with too many players getting cards. Failure to take their scores by the Downs made the Garrycastle task a little easier.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Bill Kelly, Anthony Larkin , Gary McCallon, James Dolan, Mark Curley, Mathew Guiheen, Eoin Monaghan, Doran Harte, Tom O’Halloran, Dessie Dolan, Michael Monaghan, James Sheeran, Alex Gardiner, Ger Henaghan . Subs Enda Keena, for Bill Kelly, Jason Nugent for Tom O’Halloran, Aidan Browne for Dessie Dolan.

ACL (Div 3) [21 April 2018]

Garrycastle 3-4 St Malachys 1-22

In this game, played in Castletown-Geoghegan on Saturday evening, Malachys dominated proceedings building up a lead of ten points after fifteen minutes in spite of an early Garrycastle goal by Paul Mulvihill. Further goals from Eoin Monaghan and Jason Nugent and an Eoin Monaghan point didn’t prevent Malachys leading by eight points at halftime. In the second half Malachys outscored Garrycastle by 7 points to 3 which came from Ciaran O’Neill (2) and Bill Kelly (1). Winning primary possession in midfield was a big problem in this game for the Garrycastle lads.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane McEnery, Enda Keena, Anthony Larkin, Ben Kennedy, Sean Doak, Sean O'Donohoe, Cillian Lyons, Mark Curley, Ciaran O’Neill (0-2), Jason Nugent (1-0), James Duignan, Sean Brennan, Paul Mulvihill (1-0), Eoin Monaghan (1-1), Robbie Shine.

Subs: Paul Gunning for Eoin Monaghan; Conor Duignan for Mark Curley; Shane Moran for Anthony Larkin; Mark Denby for Paul Mulvihill; Paul O'Donovan for Enda Keena.

All County Football League (Division 3) [31 March 2018]


The division 3 team earned the second draw for a Garrycastle team over the weekend on Sunday in Mullingar, with a late point from Jason Nugent. This game was played on the artificial pitch in Lakepoint Park. St. Lomans started well, scoring the first four points and led by 0-5 to 0-2 after 15 minutes. However, Garrycastle came well into the game in the second quarter scoring 1-2 without reply, the goal coming from Eoin Monaghan, to leave the halftime score at 1-4 to 0-5 in favour of Garrycastle.

The second half started like the first with St. Lomans again scoring the first four points. At the three-quarter mark, St. Lomans led by a point and from there to near the end scores were swapped leaving Garrycastle needing Jason Nugent's late point to draw. Great credit is due to the team for picking up this valuable league point with a number of players playing their second game inside 24 hours.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane McEnery, Gary Mullery, Anthony Larkin, Bill Kelly, Sean Carey (0-1), Sean O'Donoghue (0-1), Enda Keena (0-1), Jonathan Maguire, Eoin Monaghan (1-1), Shane Moran, James Duignan (0-1), Paul Gunning (0-1), Brian McCormack, Paul O'Donovan (0-1), Paul Mulvihill (0-2).

Subs: Jason Nugent (0-1) for Paul Gunning; Peadar Mulvihill for Shane Moran; Conor Duignan (0-1) for Paul O'Donovan.

All County Football League (Division 1) [30 March 2018]


A late free from outside the 45m by newcomer Ger Heneghan rescued a point for Garrycastle in this league game played in Garrycastle on Friday evening. Short a number of regulars but welcoming back our county players, Garrycastle needed to work very hard to dig out a result.

An early Michael Monaghan point was followed by three Rosemount points, before points by Ger Heneghan and Alex Gardiner levelled matters after 10 minutes of play. A further ten minutes without a score followed before Rosemount went ahead with a point, and Cathal Mannion from a free saw Garrycastle draw level again. Two late Rosemount points gave them a halftime lead of 0-6 to 0-4.

During the half the Garrycastle goal had a narrow escape when a deflected ball came off the post. On the restart James Duignan had replaced Paul Mulvihill, and goalie Shane Moran had to make a smart save to keep Rosemount out. Strong Garrycastle pressure was rewarded with three points from a Ger Heneghan (a free), James Duignan and James Dolan. After 14 minutes a Rosemount counter attack ended with a foul on a forward and the award of a penalty which was converted and then followed by another Rosemount point leaving Garrycastle three points behind with 15 minutes to go.

A good move started by Tom O'Halloran was finished to the net by Alex Gardiner, and another Ger Heneghan point from near the 45m line gave Garrycastle the lead again after 22 minutes. However a second yellow for Mark McCallon after 23 minutes left Garrycastle struggling to hold on. Further Rosemount attacks yielded two points and the lead going into injury time. However the Garrycastle lads battled on and won a free outside the 45m line wide on the left. A superb kick off the ground was enough to gain Garrycastle a valuable league point.

This was an eventful game for Garrycastle with goal chances created but not converted and far too many goal chances conceded. Poor option taking and a very easy free missed were other negatives from the game. On the positive side the midfield of James Dolan and Jonathan Maguire were excellent and the score taking by Ger Heneghan was top class. The resilience of the team to rescue a point was good to see.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Bill Kelly, Anthony Larkin, Mark McCallon, Enda Keena, Mark Curley. Gary McCallon, Jonathan Maguire, James Dolan (0-1), Michael Monaghan (0-1), Ger Heneghan (0-4), Tom O'Halloran, Cathal Mannion (0-1), Alex Gardiner (1-1), Paul Mulvihill.

Subs: James Duignan (0-1) for Paul Mulvihill; John Gaffey for Mark Curley; Paul Gunning for Tom O'Halloran.

All County Football League (Division 3) [19 March 2018]

Garrycastle 0-12 Killucan 1-7

The first division 3 game of the year saw Garrycastle get 2 league points on the board. This game was played in Garrycastle after the pitch in Kilucan was declared unplayable due to snow. Playing with a strong wind Garrycastle got off to a good start with five points, through Cathal Mannion (2), Paul O'Donovan, (2) and Sean Carey, (1) before Kilucan got on the board which was after 15 minutes. In the sond quarter Damien Rushe, Eoin Monaghan and Sean Brennan added three more points for the home team to 2 for the visitors leaving the halftime score 0-8 to 0-3. Early in the second half Garrycastle went up the field and quickly got a point from a free close to the goal by Cathal Mannion . A Garrycastle kickout was intercepted resulting in a Kilucan goal. However Garrycastle continued to dominate and were rewarded with two points from Cathal Mannion (free) and Damien Rushe. With the score at 0-11 to 1-3 it looked good for the home team. However Kilucan continued to battle and got 3 unanswered points to reduce the lead to two with less than 10 minutes left. Another Damien Rushe, point gave Garrycastle some breathing space and despite late Kilucan pressure they could only add one more point to their tally leaving the final score at 0-12 to 1-7. The heavy pitch was taking its toll on the players with some showing signs of cramp. It was a decent performance by the Garrycastle lads. Goalkeeper in the first half newcomer Shane Moran showed that he is well capable of playing in the forwards in the second.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Gary Mullery, Anthony Larkin, Ben Kennedy, Sean Carey (0-1), Sean Brennan (0-1), Enda Keena, Damien Rushe (0-3), Eoin Monaghan (0-1), Conor Duignan, Brian McCormack, Paul Gunning, Paul Mulvihill, Cathal Mannion (0-4, 2f), Paul O'Donovan (0-2).

Subs: Michael Fagan for Paul Mulvihill; Mark Denby for Paul O'Donovan; Paul O'Donovan for Sean Brennan (injured); Killian Lyons for Conor Duignan.

All County Football League (Division 1) [16 March 2018]

Garrycastle 0-13 Mullingar Shamrocks 0-6

The division 1 team picked up their second pair of points on Friday night last when they defeated Mullingar Shamrocks by 7 points in Garrycastle. On a pitch which was soft but held up well, the home team dominated most of the game except a patch midway in the first half when they conceded 4 points on the trot. Two quick early points by Sean Brennan and Paul Mulvihill, were followed by a fallow period during which possession won wasn’t being converted into scores. Ten minutes later Dessie Dolan added a point from play. Over a three minute period from the 16thminute Shamrocks went from 3 down to level and on the 21st minute they took the lead. With Eoin Monaghan and Doran Harte regaining the upper hand at midfield and Dessie Dolan pulling the strings, Garrycastle began to dominate again. James Sheeran kicked a point and Dessie Dolan pointed after taking a pass from Doran Harte. Two very slick points from play and one from a free by Cathal Mannion were replied to by a single point from Shamrocks leaving Garrycastle ahead by 0-7 to 0-5 at halftime.

The second half continued with Garrycastle on top and a long distance point by Dessie Dolan. Shamrocks replied with a point after 6 minutes which was to be their last score. Two more Dessie Dolan frees, after fouls on substitute Jason Nugent, increased the lead to 4. Then Alex Gardiner kicked a good point from play. A good run up the wing by Michael Monaghan, resulted in a point by the same player. Shamrocks were being starved of possession at this stage and the occasional foray up the field resulted in wides. The last point was another from play by the superb Dessie Dolan. This was a good workman like performance by a Garrycastle team short many regulars.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Bill Kelly, Anthony Larkin, Enda Keena, Sean Brennan (0-1), Mark Curley, Michael Monaghan 0-1), Doran Harte, Eoin Monaghan, Damien Rushe, Dessie Dolan (0-5), Alex Gardiner (0-1), Cathal Mannion (0-3), James Sheeran (0-1), Paul Mulvihill (0-1).

Subs Jason Nugent for Paul Mulvihill; John Gaffey for Dessie Dolan; Sean Carey for Enda Keena; Sean O'Donohoe for Cathal Mannion.

All-County League Division 1 [11 March 2018]


In the first round of this year’s league Garrycastle defeated Castledaly in Castledaly on Sunday last. On a pitch which was surprisingly good despite all the recent snow the Garrycastle dominated for most of the game. In the early stages Garrycastle built up a 5 points to 2 lead through points from the evergreen Dessie Dolan (3), James Sheeran and Aidan Browne. Then on a rare attack Castledaly opened up the Garrycastle defence to level with a goal. At this stage of the game the Garrycastle defence looked vulnerable every time Castledaly attacked and only good saves from goalkeeper Shane McHenry kept them at bay. But the points kept coming for Garrycastle with Cathal Mannion, Dessie Dolan (2), Michael Monaghan, substitute Jason Nugent and James Sheeran bringing halftime total to 0-11 to Castledaly’s 1.3.

The start of the second half saw Castledaly in complete control for five minutes kicking five wides during that period. Garrycastle gradually gained control again and points from Dessie Dolan (2) and Cathal Mannion increased the lead before 2 goals from James Sheeran within a minute ended the game as a contest. The first goal came after good work by newcomer, Jason Nugent, and the second goal was a brilliantly worked team move. A tendency to go for goals when points seemed a better option cost Garrycastle some scores. A blot on the day was a red card for Mathew Guiheen for an off the ball incident. However, it was a satisfactory performance for the first game of the season and hopefully can be built on as the season goes on.

GARRYCASTLE:- Shane McHenry, Sean Carey, Anthony Larkin, Enda Keena, Mathey Guiheen, Mark Curley, Tom O’Halloran, Aidan Browne (0-1), Doran Harte, Damien Rushe, Dessie Dolan (0-7), Michael Monaghan (0-1), Cathal Mannion (0-2), James Sheeran (2-1), Jonathan Maguire.

Subs:- Ciaran O’Neill for Jonathan Maguire (injured); Jason Nugent (0-1)for Ciaran O’Neill; Eoin Monaghan for Sean Carey; Brian McCormack for Damien Rushe.