Senior Football Championship Group 2

posted 4 Aug 2018, 16:46 by Garrycastle GAA   [ updated 6 Aug 2018, 07:56 by Matthew Ryan ]

Garrycastle gained two very valuable championship points on Saturday evening last in Rosemount in an incident packed  game. There was controversy towards the end of eight minutes of injury time with the awarding of a penalty to Shamrocks. Garrycastle had been three points ahead going into injury time. Shamrocks pressurised looking to level and were awarded by a point at 33 minutes to reduce the lead to two points. Play continued and a high ball into the Garrycastle penalty area was caught by a Shamrocks player who was surrounded by defenders and in the ensuing play the referee deemed that a foul was committed by the defence and awarded a penalty which was brilliantly saved by goalkeeper Shane Moran and knocked out for a 45. The game eventually ended when the Garrycastle defence gained possession from the 45. During that action packed injury time red cards were issued to a Shamrocks and Garrycastle player and a black card to a Garrycastle player. It was a pity that a game that had been well contested by both sides had ended in controversy. Overall Garrycastle had played a lot of good football but were very leaky in defence conceding two goals and calling on Shane Moran to bring off two fines saves in the 53rd and 54th minutes. The early lead was taken by Garrycastle but by the 16th minute Shamrocks had levelled. Then a high ball across the Shamrocks square by Cathal Mannion was knocked to the net by James Sheeran. However, with a four point lead Shamrocks replied with a goal of their own in the 21st minute. Three Garrycastle points on the trot built the four point lead again but two late Shamrocks points reduced the halftime  lead to two, 1-7 to 1-5.

Garrycastle increased their lead to three before a Shamrocks goal after 5 minutes levelled matters. Two further Shamrock’s points left Garrycastle under pressure with 43 minutes gone. However, they regained the initiative and responded with 5 unanswered points to give them a three point lead at the end of normal time. The highlight of those points occurred when a dispossession by John Gaffey inside his own 45 metre line was fed to Alex Gardiner who made a brilliant to the 20 metre line and his high shot was retrieved from going wide by the same John Gaffey, who had made up the ground,  and a free was won which Cathal Mannion scored. This was an entertaining game with some good football and great battles between players, none better that between Doran Harte and Denis Corroon, which Doron shaded. The next outing for the senior team is versus Castledaly.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane Moran, Mark McCallon, John Gaffey, Gary McCallon, Michael Monaghan (0-1), Mathew Guiheen, Mark Curley, Eoin Monaghan, Doran Harte, Tom o'Halloran, Conor Cosgrove, James Sheeran(1-1), Cathal Mannion (0-2), Alex Gardiner (0-4), Ger Henaghan (0-4).  

Subs Des Dolan for Conor Cosgrove: Jason Nugent (0-1)  for Tom O’'Halloran.