Minor Football League (Div 2)

posted 15 Apr 2018, 13:31 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 16 Apr 2018, 01:32 ]



Garrycastle minors secured their second victory of the league campaign in a hard fought battle in Garrycastle last Sunday evening. The persistent rain made it difficult for handling and the slippery pitch saw many players lose their footing throughout. However, both sides deserve great credit for serving up an exciting game of football.


The visitors got the first score with a point from play in the 6th minute. Playing with the aid of a stiff breeze, Garrycastle replied soon after with a pointed free by Jason Nugent. A goal from the same player, after a mazy run through the Tubberclair defence, put Garrycastle into the lead in the 9th minute. Another pointed free from Jason Nugent stretched the lead further. Jason Nugent added his third pointed free in the 20th minute. Brian Ruane then got on the scoreboard with two well taken points from play. Tubberclair responded with a point from play but Andrew Monaghan added a point from a 45 for Garrycastle before the break to leave his side 1-06 to 0-02 ahead.


Tubberclair stormed into the game on the resumption and two points from play in the opening minutes reduced the gap between the sides. A goal from a penalty by Tubberclair put them right back in it after only four minutes of the second half. A second goal for the visitors put them into the lead by the 38th minute. The visitors then added a point and a third goal to establish a significant lead. By the mid-point of the half. Garrycastle responded in determined fashion and goal by Joe Carmody after a good build up reduced the margin to just two points. A point from Dara Keena for Garrycastle left the minimum between the sides by the 49th minute. Substitute, Daniel McManus, then got on the end of the good attack to goal for Garrycastle and put them into the lead again. A second goal for full-forward, Joe Carmody, put this side in a strong position as the game entered injury time. Tubberclair pressed forward and had the game’s last score, a point, in the last period to leave it 4-07 to 3-06 in Garrycastle’s favour.


Having established a good lead by the break the Garrycastle lads were overrun in the early stages of the second period and had the then stage a strong rally and showed great determination to get their noses in front by the end. There were good performances from Robert Kelly, Fergal Mullin and Cillian Lyons in defence. After a good first half performance the midfield faded for a period in the second half, but rallied strongly in the last quarter. Jason Nugent and Brian Ruane played well in the first half but were not as prominent in the second period. Joe Carmody showed his eye for goal in the final quarter and was well assisted by Daniel McManus on his introduction.

GARRYCASTLE: - Patrick McKiernan, Cathal Redmond, Robbie Kelly, Daniel Guinan, Fergal Mullin, Cillian Lyons, , Dylan Keegan, Eoin Mulvihill, Andrew Monaghan (0-1, 0-1 45), Dara Keena (0-1), Jason Nugent (1-3, 0-3 f), Brian Ruane (0-2), Tommy Devery, Joe Carmody (2-0) and Ian Carroll.

SUBS:- Nathan Breslin for T Devery; Daniel McManus (1-0) for I Carroll; Saumil Sharma for D Keena.