Minor Footbal League Championship (Group A)

posted 9 Jul 2018, 13:19 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 9 Jul 2018, 22:15 ]

Garrycastle Minors made the trip to Shandonagh last Monday evening as they had to concede home advantage as their pitch was unplayable due to the drought conditions. Despite this, the boys in green registered a win to get their championship campaign off to the perfect start.

The opening exchanges were quiet muted, probably because of the very warm and humid conditions. Garrycastle got off to a good start with a point from Andrew Monaghan inside the first minute of play. Shandonagh had a number of opportunities to equalise but some poor shooting saw them register a number of wides before they final got a point from a close range free. Shandonagh took the lead mid-way through the half with a point from play. However, this spurred the Garrycastle lads and they had their best period of the half from there to the break. A pointed free from Dylan Keegan put them level before the game’s first goal came in the 22nd minute when Daragh Keena, following good approach play, was on hand to find the net. This was quickly followed up with a second point from Andrew Monaghan. Shandonagh did register a point from yet another free to reduce the gap, but almost immediately Garrycastle had their second goal of the game when Eoin Mulvihill broke up from his position at centre-back to blast the ball to the Shandonagh net. As the game entered injury time, Shandonagh responded with two points in quick succession. However, Garrycastle had their third goal before the break, when Brian Ruane fielded a high ball and as he tried to register a score was pulled to the ground and was awarded a penalty. Brian stepped up to beat the Shandonagh keeper and put his side into a 3-03 to 0-05 lead at the break.


Garrycastle had the better of the exchanges in the opening minutes of the second period with a pointed free from Dylan Keegan and one from play from Brian Ruane. Shandonagh did have a few chances for scores but yet again their shooting let them down. However, they did get right back into it with two quick fire goals in the 40th and 42nd minutes and leave just a gap of just 3 points between the sides. The Garrycastle lads responded well to this setback and points from Brian Ruane, Ryan Cornally Brian Ruane again and Eoin Mulvihill put Garrycastle seven points ahead by the 48th minute. Shandonagh did rally in the closing minutes and had a point from play and two more points from frees to close the gap to four points by the end.


This was a deserved win for Garrycastle. There were good performances in defence from Ian Carroll (in goal for the first half), Tommy Stephens, Daniel Guinan, Fergal Mullin and Eoin Mulvihill. Dylan Keegan and Dara Mulvihill worked tirelessly in midfield on what was a very warm evening. Ryan Cornally, Brian Ruane Andrew Monaghan, Daragh Keena and Saumil Sharma combined well in attack. There were also important contributions from the substitutes. However, Garrycastle will need to improve on this performance as the championship progresses, as Shandonagh were quiet wasteful in attack and could have made it a more difficult evening for the Garrycastle lads.


GARRYCASTLE: - Ian Carroll, Daniel Guinan, Tommy Stephens, Cathal Redmond, Fergal Mullin, Eoin Mulvihill (1-1), Cillian Lyons, Dylan Keegan (0-2, 2f), Dara Mulvihill, Ryan Cornally (0-1), Brian Ruane (1-3, 1-0 Pen), James Murphy, Saumil Sharma, Andrew Monaghan (0-2), Daragh Keena (1-0).

SUBS:- Patrick McKiernan for I Carroll (H/T); Tommy Devery for R Cornally (H/T); Ian Carroll for J Murphy (H/T); Ryan Cornally for A Monaghan (Inj, 38 Min); James Murphy for C Redmond (40 min).