Senior Football Championship - Group 1

posted 26 Aug 2017, 14:17 by William Leahy   [ updated 28 Aug 2017, 02:19 by Matthew Ryan ]

Garrycastle travelled to Cusack Park on Saturday evening for their fifth and final group game with no chance of progressing to the knock-out stages. Killucan, with a quarter or semi-final to play for, showed greater urgency early on and took an early lead but Garrycastle then missed a number of good chances before Alex Gardiner equalised after ten minutes. The teams exchanged points at the end of the first quarter before Garrycastle spurned the first of several goal opportunities when James Dolan’s close-range effort was deflected for a “45”, which Alex Gardiner pointed. Another good Garrycastle move ended with the award of a penalty for a foot block but Tom O’Halloran’s shot was too close to the goalkeeper. A minute later, however, a close-range effort from Conor Cosgrove was saved but Tom O’Halloran blasted the rebound to the net. Garrycastle continued to waste some excellent chances but they had a let-off themselves when good work by Sean Brennan and Conor Cosgrove averted a Killucan effort on goal. In injury time Killucan notched two points to leave Garrycastle ahead by 1-3 to 0-4.


Killucan scored three quick points on the resumption to take the lead but then appeared to self-destruct when they had two players dismissed in quick succession. Conor Cosgrove pointed a long-range free to equalise and with two extra players Garrycastle looked set to push on for victory. However, it was a further ten minutes before Alex Gardiner eventually gave them the lead. Killucan soon equalised before Dessie Dolan set up his cousin James for a point to restore the lead. A point from a free that was moved forward for dissent gave Killucan another equaliser before Tom O’Halloran restored Garrycastle’s lead after 56 minutes. Further Garrycastle misses left them vulnerable to a late surge by Killucan and as the game went into injury time a speculative cross by Killucan was collected by Sean Brennan but pressure from a Killucan attacker forced the ball over the line. Damien Rushe reduced the margin to a point but in the final minute of injury time Killucan clinched an unlikely victory with another point.


So ends Garrycastle’s championship campaign for 2017. As they reflect on their five games, the players will realise that a place in the final stages was certainly within their grasp and that valuable points were lost through poor finishing, especially in the games against Tyrrellspass and Killucan.


GARRYCASTLE: Sean Brennan, Jack Donohue, Mark McCallon, Gary McCallon, James Dolan (0-1), John Gaffey, Neill Rattigan, Doran Harte, Mattie Guiheen, Johnny McGuire, Tom O’Halloran (1-2), Eoin Monaghan, Conor Cosgrove (0-1, free), Alex Gardiner (0-3, 1 “45”), Cathal Mannion.

Subs: Damien Rushe (0-1) for Rattigan (h/t), Michael Monaghan for E. Monaghan (37 mins), Anthony Larkin for McGuire (38 mins), Dessie Dolan for Cosgrove (47 mins).