Minor League (Div 2)

posted 10 May 2017, 12:50 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 30 Jun 2017, 02:39 ]

GARRYCASTLE 3-8            CAULRY 1-12


Going into this game in Garrycastle last Wednesday evening, both sides had won all of their games, Caulry with 4 wins from 4 and Garrycastle with 3 wins from 3. Garrycastle made a positive start and mounted a number of attacks, however, they could not convert any of these into scores. Meanwhile Caulry showed more composure when presented with scoring opportunities and had a point in the 3rd minute and a goal from a penalty soon after. The visitors continued to show some nice touches and had stretched their lead to six points by the 8th minute. Garrycastle finally got on the scoreboard in the 10th minute with a good point from a Jason Nugent free when he was fouled close to goal. Eoin Mulvihill then added to this with a well taken point for the home side. Caulry responded with two points of their own to restore their advantage. Jason Nugent took advantage of a good pass to fire over a point from play at the mid-point of the half. However, Caulry added three points, all of which were from play, to increase their lead to 8 points as the half time whistle approached. However, Garrycastle had another point from a Jason Nugent free in the final minute to leave the score-line 1-8 to 0-4 in favour of Caulry at the break.


Garrycastle introduced Joe Carmody for the second half, with Eoin Mulvihill moving to midfield. Garrycastle pressed forward and narrowed the gap with yet another pointed free from Jason Nugent.  Caulry had a point but Andrew Monaghan pointed in reply for Garrycastle. The teams exchanged points, the Garrycastle effort coming from substitute, Joe Carmody in the 44th minute. The game was thrown wide open soon after when Jack O’Connor took possession following good approach play to fire a goal for Garrycastle and leave just 3 points between the sides. Joe Carmody then added a good point for Garrycastle to leave just two between them. Soon after his introduction as a substitute, Oisin Langan, fired Garrycastle into the lead for the first time with a well struck shot and a minute later the same player fired his second and Garrycastle’s third goal and put the home side into a five point lead with a bit less than 10 minutes remaining. Garrycastle did retreat somewhat at this stage but used their possession well and despite a couple of late points for Caulry held out for a vital win. The final score 3-8 to 0-12 in Garrycastle’s favour.


Overall this was a fine win for the Garrycastle lads, but they had to fight back after a disjointed first half performance and showed great character to claw their way back into the game and secure a vital win. The defence played well as a unit, restricting Caulry to just one goal and that coming from a penalty. Matias O’Neill, Cillian Lyons, Colm Lynch, Shane Duffy and Eoin Mulvihill showing up well throughout. Andrew Monaghan has a good hour in midfield for his side. The forward division showed their potential in the second period, when given the right kind of ball and both Joe Carmody and Oisin Langan contribute well taken scores after their introduction. If the lads can continue to show similar battling characteristics and skill in their remaining games they can push for league honours.  


GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Robert Kelly, Matias O’Neill, Cillian Lyons,  Colm Lynch, Shane Duffy, Conor Macken, Dara Mulvihill, Andrew Monaghan (0-1), Dylan Keegan, Jack O’Connor (1-0), Brian Ruane, Philip Monaghan, Jason Nugent (0-4, 3f), and Eoin Mulvihill (0-1).

SUBS: Joe Carmody (0-2) for Dara Mulvihill (Half time); Oisin Langan (2-0) for P Monaghan (45min). Not used: Patrick McKiernan, Jack Fitzgerald, Eoghan Kenny, Ian Carroll and Tommy Devery.