Minor Football League (Division 2)

posted 19 Mar 2017, 12:39 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 30 Jun 2017, 02:40 ]



Garrycastle minors made it two wins from two in the minor football league with a well-deserved victory over Mullingar Shamrocks in wind swept Garrycastle last Sunday morning. Playing with the aid of the strong wind in the first period, it was important that Garrycastle got off to a good start and Jason Nugent put his side into the lead with a pointed free in their first attack. Mullingar Shamrocks soon levelled matters with a converted free of their own. However, a fine point from Jack O’Connor nudged Garrycastle in front again. The same player added his second point, and Garrycastle’s third, in the 12th minute. Jason Nugent then added a point from play as Garrycastle began to reflect their superiority in general play on the scoreboard. However, in a rare attack Mullingar Shamrocks managed to open up the Garrycastle defence but Matthew McBride made a smart save to prevent a goal for the visitors. In the 23rd minute Garrycastle built a good attack from their defence and it finished with a well taken goal from the Garrycastle full-forward, Oisin Langan. Jason Nugent added his second point from a free to extend the Garrycastle lead. Colm Lynch broke forward from his wing-back position to fire over a fine point as half time approached. This was the last score of the half and it finished with Garrycastle leading by 1-6 to 0-1.


Given that Mullingar Shamrocks would have the strong breeze in their favour on the resumption, it was clear that Garrycastle would have to battle hard to secure victory. The visitors had a bright start to the second period and reduced the gap with a pointed free. Garrycastle’s other wing-back, Cillian Lyons, was on the end of a good attack and pointed to restore Garrycastle’s eight point advantage. Mullingar Shamrocks came more into the game and their efforts were rewarded with a good goal in the 42nd minute. The visitors added a point from play in the 47th minute to reduce the gap to just five points with plenty of time remaining. A further point reduced the gap even further. However, Garrycastle steadied matters with a Jason Nugent point from play. Dylan Keegan then stepped up with a fine point to close out the game as Garrycastle won on a score-line of 1-10 to 1-4.


This was a good team performance, as Garrycastle got good scores in both half’s and defended well, particularly against the wind in the second period. There were particularly notable performances from Matius O’Neill, Eoin Mulvihill and Cillian Lyons in defence. Matthew McBride was solid in goal and made a vital save in the first period. Dara Mulvihill worked tirelessly in midfield throughout. The half forward line of Jack O’Connor, Jason Nugent and Dylan Keegan all contributed scores. Oisin Langan’s gaol in the first half put Garrycastle firmly on the path to victory.


GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Robert Kelly, Matius O’Neill, Jack Fitzgerald, Colm Lynch (0-1), Eoin Mulvihill, Cillian Lyons (0-1), Brian Ruane, Dara Mulvihill, Jack O’Connor (0-2), Jason Nugent (0-4, 2f), Dylan Keegan (0-2), Patrick McKiernan, Oisin Langan (1-0) and Eoghan Kenny.