Minor Championship (Divisions 1 & 2)

posted 26 Jul 2017, 13:47 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 26 Jul 2017, 13:51 ]

ROSEMOUNT 3-12           GARRYCASTLE 3-7

Garrycastle minors faced up to a Division 1 side in their first championship outing in Rosemount last Wednesday evening and while they ultimately went down to a defeat, they can take many positives into the remaining games in this year’s championship.


The home side played with the aid of a blustery breeze in the first half and had a point on the scoreboard with a minute. They doubled their lead soon after as they enjoyed the majority of the possession. However, Garrycastle carried a threat and jumped into the lead in the 7th minute when Jason Nugent blasted the ball to the net. The sides then exchanged points, the Garrycastle score coming from Jack O’Connor. Joe Carmody stretched the Garrycastle lead with a fine point by the mid-point of the half. The home side had a point and yet again the sides’ exchanged points with Joe Carmody converting a close range free. However, the home side finished the half in spectacular manner, scoring three goals and a point in the closing five minutes of play before the break. This left Rosemount in the lead by 3-6 to 1-3 at half time.


Garrycastle needed to step up and in the early exchanges had a point on the board from a free by Joe Carmody. Garrycastle goalkeeper, Matthew McBride, made a very smart save to prevent a goal but the home side did add two points from play to stretch their lead. Joe Carmody had yet another pointed free for Garrycastle as they began to exert some more pressure on the home defence. Rosemount had a point of their own but Garrycastle responded in style when Joe Carmody struck for a goal after good approach play. Two pointed free from Rosemount stretched their lead but Garrycastle got their third goal when a ball from Brian Ruane was expertly punch to the net by Andrew Monaghan in the 51st minute to leave just six points between the sides. Garrycastle upped their efforts and a pointed free and one from play by Joe Carmody left Garrycastle just 4 points adrift with 5 minutes remaining However, try as they may they could not get the scores required to bridge the gap. Rosemount had a point from a free in injury time and would have added a goal but for yet another good save by Matthew McBride. The final score was 3-12 to 3-07 in favour of Rosemount.


While disappointed to lose, the Garrycastle lads can take many positives from this game into their remaining championship fixtures. Apart from the period before half time the defence restricted their opponents well. There were good performances from Matthew McBride, Shane Duffy, Colm Lynch and Cillian Lyons in defence. Dara Mulvihill and Eoin Mulvihill worked tirelessly in midfield, while Jason Nugent and Joe Carmody were most prominent in attack.


GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Robert Kelly, Shane Duffy, Conor Macken, Colm Lynch, Cillian Lyons, Dylan Keegan, Dara Mulvihill, Eoin Mulvihill, Jack O’Connor (0-1), Jason Nugent (1-0), Andrew Monaghan (1-0), Brian Ruane, Joe Carmody (1-6, 0-4f), and Ian Carroll.

SUBS: Jack Fitzgerald for C Macken (40 min); Eoin Kenny for I Carroll (55 min).