Minor Championship (Division 2)

posted 6 Sep 2017, 13:18 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 6 Sep 2017, 14:02 ]


Garrycastle minors exited the Division 2 championship when going down to the home side in Springfield last Wednesday evening. The opening exchanges were close with Mullingar Shamrocks getting a perfect start with two points, one from a free and one from open play. However, Garrycastle had 2 points from the boot of Joe Carmody, again one from play and one from a free. The sides exchanged points, Garrycastle scores coming from Eoin Mulvihill and Jack O’Connor to leave it 0-4 each by the mid-point of the first half. However, it was at this stage that Mullingar Shamrock began to dominate possession and Garrycastle were sloppy with theirs, resulting in a scoring spree of four points for the home side. Matters got worse for Garrycastle when a poor hand pass in their defence led directly to a gaol for the home side and Mullingar Shamrocks also added to point soon after. Jack O’Connor had a point for Garrycastle but Mullingar replied with a point of their own. However, Garrycastle finished the half strongly and a point and goal from Jack O’Connor left it 1-10 to 1-6 at the break.


Garrycastle made a determined start to the second half and had a point from Joe Carmody in their first attack. They also created other opportunities for scores but a combination of poor execution and determined defending by Mullingar Shamrocks meant that these were not converted. Mullingar Shamrocks had a point but Brian Ruane responded with a point for his side. However, the home side scored their second goal in the 46th minute to widen the gap between the sides, Yet again Brian Ruane pointed for Garrycastle but Mullingar Shamrock opened up the Garrycastle defence to register their third goal in the 51st minute. Jason Nugent had two points for Garrycastle, one from a free and one from play to narrow the gap. However, a fourth goal for Mullingar Shamrocks left Garrycastle with a mammoth task with only 5 minutes remaining. The Garrycastle lads pressed forward in search of scores and had a goal of their own from Eoin Mulvihill. Mullingar Shamrocks had a point and Joe Carmody pointed a free for Garrycastle. However, the scoring was completed with a pointed free for the home side to leave the final score 4-14 to 2-12 in their favour.


This was a disappointing end to the year for the Garrycastle lads, who had high expectations of progressing further in the championship and building on their impressive performances in the league. They know that they contributed to their own downfall with several errors in their passing and failure to convert a number of good goal opportunities, particularly in the early minutes of the second half.  Best on the night for Garrycastle were Robert Kelly, Colm Lynch, Shane Duffy, Brian Ruane, Jack O’Connor and Joe Carmody.

GARRYCASTLE: Matthew McBride, Robert Kelly, Matias O’Neill, Copnor Macken, Colm Lynch, Shane Duffy, Cillian Lyons, Eoin Mulvihill (1-1), Oisin Langan, Brian Ruane (0-2), Jason Nugent (0-2, 1f), Philip Monaghan, Jack O’Connor (1-3), Joe Carmody (0-4 2f), Dara Mulvihill.

SUBS: Andrew Monaghan for D Mulvihill (Half time); Dylan Keegan for C Macken (40 min). Not used: Jack Fitzgerald, Patrick McKiernan, Eoghan Kenny, Ian Carroll, Daniel Guinan.