Under 16 League (Division 2)

posted 30 May 2016, 13:21 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 31 May 2016, 07:17 ]

Garrycastle’s under 16s recorded their first win in the league in perfect conditions in Garrycastle last Monday evening against Multyfarnham.


Multyfarnham opened strongly and registered their first point in the 2nd minute. Multyfarnham continued to enjoy the majority of possession as the Garrycastle lads struggled to get any meaningful passages of play together. The visitors stretched their lead with a goal in the 13th minute and at that stage looked set to build further on the lead. However, the Garrycastle side showed great character and reeled them back with three unanswered points over the next six minutes. The Garrycastle scorers were Dylan Keegan, Brian Ruane, and a free from Andrew Monaghan. The Garrycastle lads continued to press and jumped into the lead with a well taken goal from midfielder Brian Ruane in the 19th minute. It could even have been better for the home side a couple of minutes later but Nathan Breslin saw his effort on goal crash off the crossbar and rebound to safety. Multyfarnham tacked on a point soon after but Garrycastle had the final say on the scoreboard with a pointed free from Andrew Monaghan leave it 1-4 to 1-2 in his side’s favour at the break.


The second period started in much the same manner as the first with Multyfarnham having the majority of possession. The visitors restored parity on the scoreboard with a pointed free and one from play in the opening minutes. A good attack from Multyfarnham lead to the creation of a good goal opportunity, however, Garrycastle goalkeeper Patrick McKiernan made a fantastic save to deny them a green flag and the danger was cleared. Garrycastle began to work their way back into contention and their efforts were rewarded a couple of minutes later, when Brain Ruane was on the end of some very good approach play and crashed the ball to the Multyfarnham net to put his side ahead again. Multyfarnham responded in style to this setback and hit over two points in quick succession, the first from a free and the second from play. The play was ebbing from one end to the other and it was Garrycastle who took a decisive step towards victory in the 49th minute as Fergal Mullin was on hand to raise a third green flag for the Garrycastle side. Multyfarnham came back strongly and a point in the 50th minute reduced the margin. However, Andrew Monaghan pointed from play to restore the margin to four points with about seven minutes remaining.  A goal from the visitors in the 55th minute left just a point separating the sides as the game entered its closing stages. A pointed free from Andrew Monaghan doubled their lead to two with time running out. However, as Multyfarnham pressed forward they did manage a point as the game entered added time. The final whistle from Referee, Pat Fox, signalled a win for Garrycastle on a score-line of 3-6 to 2-8.


Having narrowly lost a couple of tight games in earlier rounds of the league, Garrycastle were delighted to come out on the right side of this result. This was a good team performance, given that a number of strong panel members were absent. There were good performances from Patrick McKiernan in goal, Mathias O’Neill, Cathal Redmond, and Cillian Lyons in defence. Brian Ruane worked tirelessly in midfield and chipped in with two goals and a point. Jack Fitzgerald linked up play well from the half forward line and was well supported by Andrew Monaghan after he switched from midfield to attack in the second half. Ryan Cornally also showed up well at corner back on his introduction as a substitute.


GARRYCASTLE: Patrick McKiernan, Tommy Devery, Mathias O’Neill, Cathal Redmond, Daniel Guinan, Cillian Lyons,  Ian Carroll, Andrew Monaghan (0-4, 3f), Brian Ruane (2-1), Fergal Mullin (1-0), Dara Keena, Jack Fitzgerald, James Dempsey, Dylan Keegan (0-1), Nathan Breslin.

SUBS: Ryan Cornally for J Dempsey; Cian Dowling for D Keegan.