Under-10 Castledaly tournament, Semi-Final

posted 9 Oct 2016, 09:24 by Garrycastle GAA   [ updated 11 Oct 2016, 10:43 ]
The Under-10 squad travelled the short distance to Castledaly on Sunday morning to play Tubberclair in the semi-finals of this years Coughlan Cup competition, with a place in the cup or shield final up for grabs. On a lovely morning for football, both teams served up an utterly engrossing match.

Garrycastle were first out of the blocks and soon led by two points courtesy of James McHugh (one a free), before a determined fightback from Tubberclair saw them draw level. Garrycastle again upped the pace, and with some excellent play from the middle of the field, retook the lead with two points first from Kacey Mulvihill, then a long range efort from Oisin Mulvihill and finally a poachers point from James. As the half ended a pointed free from Tubberclair narrowed the gap to leave the Garrycastle team ahead by three at the break. 

As expected, the Tubberclair fightback started right from the resumption, and in a blistering 10 minute spell, they levelled the game, and moved two points in front. Again Garrycastle responded and swapped points (from Andrew Henson and Killian Keegan), to leave two points between the teams with time running out. The Garrycastle lads missed a couple of frees as the clock wound down, but yet again the fighting spirit was to the fore, and two further points from James levelled the scores again. As the final whistle blew, the teams could not be separated on the scoreboard. 

After some discussion among the organisers, extra time was indicated. Again, Garrycastle started the brighter in the first half of extra time, and a point from James edged them in front. Two points from Tubberclair though, saw them lead by a single score at half time in extra time.

As the second half of extra time began, Tubberclair extended their lead to two points. This seemed to act as a spur to the Garrycastle team, and they laid siege to the Tubberclair goal, and narrowed the deficit again, with a great point from Andrew Henson. Now the push was on to find the equaliser, but the Tubberclair defence held firm, until Garrycastle won a free close to the sideline, and the referee indicated that this would be the last action of the game. There was almost silence as the ball was kicked, but it drifted agonisingly wide, and the game was over, with Garrycastle defeated by a single point. 

This result means that Garrycastle will play in the Shield final on the coming weekend.

This Garrycastle team gave it absolutely their all in this match, and all 16 players present can hold their heads up high with their performance. Now it is time to regroup and get ready for the final match of the year.

Dean Greham, Anthony Mannion, Killian Keegan, David Carter, Sean O'Donoghue, Tom Sheehan, Andrew Henson, James McHugh, Oisin Mulvihill, Brandon Devaney, Kacey Mulvihill (capt.), Dylan Fawley, Calum Hudson, Van McCay, Aaron Keegan, Conor McCormack.