Junior Football Championship, Section B, Playoff

posted 28 Aug 2016, 07:55 by Garrycastle GAA   [ updated 29 Aug 2016, 02:54 by Matthew Ryan ]
Garrycastle 5-11;        St. Loman’s 4-11


For the third year in a row, the Junior team progressed to the quarter final after a hard-earned win over the home team in Lakepoint Park last Sunday. Garrycastle had a bad start when a half-blocked effort for a point by Loman’s spun awkwardly and bounced favourably for the Loman’s corner forward who finished to the net. However, the teams were soon level when a David O’Shaughnessy centre was fumbled by the Loman’s defence and Paul Mulvihill pounced for the equaliser. Garrycastle went two points clear but then a short kick-out was intercepted and despatched to the net. Again Garrycastle responded quickly when Ciaran O’Neill found the net after great work by Cathal Mannion. This pattern was repeated later in the half when, after Loman’s had notched their third goal, Peadar Mulvihill crashed the ball to the net after a free kick by Cathal Mannion came back off the post. Garrycastle led by 3-5 to 3-4 at half time and with the wind in their favour quickly extended the lead to three points after the break. However, Loman’s enjoyed a spell of supremacy and took the lead before Ciaran O’Neill got his second goal after a defence-splitting run by Frank Farrell. Paul O’Donovan entered the fray and with his first touch found the net but Loman’s still weren’t finished and when they got through for their fourth goal the sides were level again. In the final minutes, three points from Ciaran O’Neill (one from a free) gave Garrycastle victory.


Garrycastle will now face Kilbeggan Shamrocks in the quarter final in Moate on Wednesday 7th September. They will know that improvements will be needed, especially in defence, but there were some good individual displays, none more so than Frank Farrell. The experience of David O’Shaughnessy and Tom McHugh was vital in the midfield area and Ciaran O’Neill and Cathal Mannion carried most threat up front, while sub Conor Duignan was a lively addition in the final quarter.


Team: Shane McEnery, Gary Mullery, Emmet Ward, Ben Kennedy, Bill Kelly, John O’Shaughnessy, Frank Farrell (0-2), Tom McHugh, David O’Shaughnessy, Peadar Mulvihill (1-1), Ciaran O’Neill (2-7, 3 frees), Enda Keena, Cathal Mannion (0-1), Noel Galvin, Paul Mulvihill (1-0).

Subs: Ronan Donohue for Mullery; Paul O’Donovan (1-0) for Peadar Mulvihill, Conor Duignan for Paul Mulvihill, Paul Mulvihill for O’Donovan (injured) and Peadar Mulvihill for Mannion (B/C).