Minor League (Division 3)

posted 10 Jul 2015, 14:17 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 11 Jul 2015, 02:57 ]

GARRYCASTLE 1-9                        CORALSTOWN/KINNEGAD 0-11


Garrycastle minors recorded a second consecutive win in this league encounter in Garrycastle last Friday evening. It was a good evening for football and thankfully the rain held off until just after the final whistle.


It was the visitors who made the most promising start and struck over three points in the opening six minutes of play. Garrycastle had to withstand a couple of other attacks but gradually worked their way into the game. A pointed free from Ross Mulvihill got them on the scoreboard after the same player was fouled. Cathal Mannion added a point from play in the 10th minute to leave the minimum between the sides. A pointed free and one from open play saw Coralstown/Kinnegad restore their three point advantage as the game entered the closing minutes of the first half. Brian Ruane then chipped in with a good point for Garrycastle. A pointed free from Cathal Mannion was added to with a point from Bill Kelly to level the scores. Garrycastle grabbed the lead as the game went into injury time when a good attack saw the ball drop behind the Coralstown/Kinnegad defence and Jack O’Connor was on hand to fire to the net. The visitors again responded with a point before the break to leave it 1-5 to 0-7 in Garrycastle’s favour.


In all of their games to date the Garrycastle lads have started slowly in the second period. However, that was not the case in this game, they pushed forward at every opportunity and were rewarded with a point from Brian Ruane and a pointed free form Cathal Mannion had the Garrycastle boys three to the good by the 36th minute. It could have been better, but a number of other opportunities were not converted. The visitors hit back with a point from play and a point from a close range free. Bill Kelly broke forward to hit a point and this was immediately added to with a fine point from Eoin Duignan as the game entered the final 10 minutes. Coralstown/Kinnegad began to exert great pressure on the Garrycastle defence, who battled gallantly to keep them out. The only reward for the visitors were two pointed frees as the game entered added time. Garrycastle held on and recorded a close fought win.


This was a closely contested game between two evenly match sides. It could easily have finished on level terms, as the visitors missed a couple of point chances at the end, including a 13 meter free. However, the Garrycastle boys showed great determination and grit to forge the win in such a tight game. In addition, the fact that Garrycastle had only 13 player available meant that there was no opportunity to introduce any fresh legs as players energy levels dropped towards the end. There were particularly good performances from Brian Leahy, Mark Denby, Loic Gately and Ross Mulvihill in defence. Bill Kelly and Conor Mulvihill worked tirelessly in midfield. Cathal Mannion, Brian Ruane showed well in attack and Jack O’Connor chipped in with the game’s only goal.


GARRYCASTLE: Shane McEnery, Brian Leahy, Caolan Jameson, Mark Denby, Loic Gatley, Ross Mulvihill (0-1, 1f),  Bill Kelly (0-2), Conor Mulvihill, Brian Ruane (0-2), Cathal Mannion (0-3, 2f), Ronan Mulvihill, Jack O’Connor (1-0) and Eoin Duignan (0-1).