Minor League (Div 3)

posted 1 Jul 2015, 14:20 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 2 Jul 2015, 03:11 ]



The Garrycastle minors secured their first win of the league with a well-deserved win over Ballycomoyle in Garrycastle last Wednesday evening. A heavy shower just before throw-in made the playing surface very greasy and the opening exchanges saw players from both sides struggle to keep their feet and numerous handling errors. However, it helped to contribute to an exciting and open game of football.


Garrycastle got a perfect start when a slick attack involving several players put Cathal Mannion clear on goal and he made no mistake to raise the game’s first green flag in the 2nd minute. Ballycomoyle responded with appoint from play and indeed had a good goal opportunity which was thwarted by some good defending by the Garrycastle lads. Bill Kelly pointed soon after to stretch his side’s lead. A second Garrycastle goal came mid-way through the half when Brian Ruane was on hand to finish to the net. At this stage Garrycastle were playing with great confidence and this was amplified when Ronan Mulvihill chipped in with his side’s third goal to put Garrycastle all of 3 goals to the good. Ballycomoyle had a point from a free but Ross Mulvihill pointed for Garrycastle, also from a placed ball. Cathal Mannion had another pointed free as the break approached, but there was sufficient time for Ballycomoyle to get a point from play and leave it 3-3 to 0-3 at the break.


On the resumption Cathal Mannion had a point from a free. Ballycomoyle broke forward and a dangerous attack resulted in a foul by a Garrycastle defender in the large square, which was correctly punished by the award of a penalty. However, Shane McEnery stood tall and made a fine save from the penalty kick to maintain his side’s advantage. Ballycomoyle had their best period of the game now and hit over a point. A goal soon followed for the visitors and when they hit two more points in the next 5 minutes the gap was reduced to just four points with plenty of time remaining. Garrycastle steadied and two points, the first from a Ross Mulvihill free and the second from play by Cathal Mannion left six between the sides. Garrycastle were awarded a penalty when Ronan Mulvihill was fouled close to goal and Cathal Mannion struck hit shot firmly to the net. Ballycomoyle fought hard to get back into the game but apart from an injury time pointed free, they could not breach the Garrycastle defence. There was just enough time for substitute, Ian Carroll, to hit over a point in the closing minutes, to leave it 4-7 to 1-7 at the finish.


This was a somewhat patchy performance but the lads will take great confidence from the win. Shane McEnery was solid in goal and made an important penalty save early in the second period. Brian Leahy, Loic Gately and Jack Brody defended well throughout. Bill Kelly was prominent in mid-field. Cathal Mannion and Ronan Mulvihill gave the Ballycomoyle defence a trying time of it and there were also telling contributions from substitutes, Philip Monaghan and Ian Carroll.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane McEnery, Brian Leahy, Tiernan Dixon, Sean Mulvihill, Loic Gatley, Jack Brody, Bill Kelly (0-1), Conor Mulvihill, Ross Mulvihill (0-2, 2f), Cathal Mannion (2-3, 1-0 pen, 0-2f), Ronan Mulvihill (1-0), Eoin Duignan and Brian Ruane (1-0).


SUBS: Philip Monaghan for Conor Mulvihill (Half time); Jack O’Connor for Eoin Duignan (43 min); Conor Mulvihill for T Dixon (47 min); Ian Carroll (0-1) for B Ruane (50 min).