Minor League - Division 2

posted 9 Jul 2014, 15:25 by William Leahy   [ updated 9 Jul 2014, 15:25 ]
Garrycastle Minors restarted their league campaign with a narrow loss to St. Lomans on Tuesday evening in Garrycastle. Playing with the benefit of a strong breeze, Garrycastle started brightly with a pointed free from Kenny Dolan, followed by a point from Eric Kearney which seemed to have goal written all over it. An unfortunate injury suffered by Frank Farrell after just 5 minutes saw him leave the field, replaced by Liam Leahy, and during the following few minutes while Garrycastle re-arranged their back-line, St. Lomans struck for two quick goals and a pointed free, to put them in the driving seat.

Garrycastle struck back with a goal from a penalty by Eric Kearney, following a foul on Ben Kennedy, which saw the St. Lomans goalkeeper shown a black card. However, the same fate befell Mark Duffy shortly afterwards, and he also had to leave the field, replaced by Cathal Mannion. Again, the re-shufle cost Garrycastle dear, as St. Lomans struck for another goal. A huge point from Ben Kennedy steadied the ship, before the teams traded points, leaving the half-time score at 3-4 to 1-4 in favour of the visitors.

The second half had only just started when Cathal pounced for a well taken goal to narrow the arrears. However, a foul on Darrgh McCormack soon after, resulting in a yellow card for the St. Lomans number 10, saw a poorly taken free give away possession and another goal for St. Lomans, giving Shane McEnery no chance in the Garrycastle goal. An accidental collision on the pitch resulted in Darragh Brody having to be taken off, replaced by Kevin McCormack. Garrycastle then stepped up a gear, and a well worked move involving Cathal and Kenny to Eric resulted in a well taken goal, quickly followed by a pointed free by Kenny. Another goal from Kenny brought the deficit back to just 2 points.

St. Lomans cause was not helped when their number 6 was yellow carded for the second time, and sent off for a poor tackle on Kenny, who calmly pointed the free to leave just the minimum between the teams. St. Lomans responded well to this setback and outscored Garrycastle by 4 points to 1 over the next 5 minutes, before the St. Lomans number 10 saw a red card for a mis-timed tackle on Ben.

Cathal struck again with another goal to bring the deficit back to 1 point again, and as the match entered its final moments, the team pressed forward to try and get the equalising score. However it wasn't to be, and the St. Lomans number 11, who had an excellent game overall, broke forward to score a huge point from out on the far sideline to end the scoring.

Overall, this was a good performance from the Garrycastle team, although some rustiness was evident due to the long layoff for exams, holidays and the like.

Shane McEnery, Eric McCormack, Darragh Brody, Mark Denby, Adam Keena, Frank Farrell, Bill Kelly, Eric Kearney (2-1, 1-0p), Ben Kennedy (0-1), Tiarnan Dickson, Cian Hayden, Ronan Mulvihill, Mark Duffy, Kenny Dolan (1-5, 0-4f), Darragh McCormack.

Subs: Liam Leahy for Frank Farrell (inj) 5 mins, Cathal Mannion (2-0) for Mark Duffy 15 mins, Kevin McCormack for Darragh Brody (inj) 40 mins.

Match Report : William Leahy