posted 23 Nov 2014, 12:16 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 23 Nov 2014, 12:43 ]

ST VINCENTS 3-9              GARRYCASTLE 1-10

Garrycastle had to yield to a very strong St Vincents side, reigning Dublin, Leinster and All Ireland club champions, in an entertaining semi-final in Parnell Park, on Sunday. Garrycastle could not have got off to a worse start, conceding a goal after just a couple of minutes play, as Tomas Quinn took full advantage of a slip by Jack Donoghue to fire a goal. St Vincents added a point soon after and it took a fine point by James Dolan in the 5th minute to get Garrycastle off the mark. St Vincents continued to have the better attacks but some good defending and a bit of good fortune saw them only register a point. The sides exchanged points, the Garrycastle effort a fine one from a tight angle on the left by Dessie Dolan. St Vincents had the majority of possession and created a number of good goal scoring opportunities but did not manage to raise a green flag. They did add two points and finally got a deserved second goal in the 24th minute. They also added a point soon after to lead by 2-6 to 0-2 by the 25th minute. Garrycastle they staged a mini revival and had four unanswered points before the half time break. Points from James Dolan, Justin Barrett, a free from Dessie Dolan and another point from James Dolan taking the score at the break to 2-6 to 0-6 in favour of St Vincents.


Garrycastle started the second half in the same vein, adding two points, both from Dessie Dolan, one from play and one from a free, in the opening six minutes. The Garrycastle cause received an even bigger fillip when Dessie Dolan broke through the St Vincents defence and expertly placed his shot beyond Michael Savage to raise a green flag. Game on with just a point between the sides after 37 minutes. Michael Savage then made a wonderful save in the 40th minute to deny Garrycastle a second goal, but the resultant 45 was just wide from Alex Gardiner. However, Garrycastle did gain parity in the 42nd minute as Michael Monaghan slotted over a fine point. St Vincents showed their championship mettle and hit over two points in quick succession to regain the lead, the first of which came from a close range free. Garrycastle pushed forward in search of more scores but were caught out by a quick counter-attack in the 53rd minute and when a high ball broke kindly for Ruairi Traynor and he was fouled by Cathal Mullin. A penalty was signalled by Referee, John Hickey, who also brandished a black card to the Garrycastle goalkeeper. Shane O’Connell was introduced in goal and his first taste of action was to face up to the penalty, which was expertly placed to his left for a decisive goal for the All Irelands club champions. Dessie Dolan pointed a close range free as full time approached, but it was St Vincents who had the final score, a point deep into added time, to leave it 3-9 to 1-10 in the end.


A brave effort from Garrycastle but St Vincents were deserving winners in the end. There were good performances from Mark McCallon, Jack Donoghue and John Gaffey in defence. Dessie Dolan, Mathew Guiheen and James Dolan were most prominent in attack.



GARRYCASTLE: Cathal Mullin, Mark McCallon, Jack Donoghue, Alan Fox, Karl Henson, John Gaffey, Gary McCallon, Justin Barrett (0-1), Aidan Browne, Gary Dolan, Dessie Dolan (1-5, 0-3f), Matthew Guiheen, Damian Rushe, Michael Monaghan(0-1) and James Dolan (0-3).


SUBs: Alex Gardiner for D Rushe (half time); David O’Shaughnessy for A Browne (inj, 47 min); James Duignan for A Gardiner (47 min); Shane O’Connell for C Mullin (black card, 53 min);  and Conor Cosgrove for M Monaghan (59 min).

Report by Matt Ryan