posted 27 Apr 2014, 09:59 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 28 Apr 2014, 05:43 ]

ST LOMANS 1-14              GARRYCASTLE 1-12


I and many other who attended this game in Garrycastle were certain that it ended in a draw with both sides scoring 1-13. However, the Referee gave it to St Lomans by 1-14 to 1-12. I record each score for both teams and the times in which they were achieved and I know the correct score was 1-13 each. However, it’s the Referee’s score that counts in the end – I believer he made a genuine error but thats sport.


Enda Keena got the game’s first score in the 5th minute following goods approach play. The visitors than had a period of domination and equalised shortly afterwards and jumped into the lead with a well worked goal in the 7th minute. The visitors added a point but Garrycastle responded when a long range effort was fumbled by the St Lomans keeper and Paul O’Donovan was on hand to fire into the net. St Lomans had a point but it then Garrycastle’s turn to dominate possession. Ciaran O’Neill and Paul O’Donovan had points for the home side and Conor Cosgrove added a point from a free to put Garrycastle into the lead by the 23rd minute. St Lomans had a point but Paul O’Donovan was on the mark again for his side. The final minutes of the half were all St Lomans and they added three points, two from play and one from a free, to lead by 1-7 to 1-5 at the break.


The visitors added a point on the resumption but Johnny McGuire responded with a point for Garrycastle. Further points were traded with the Garrycastle point coming from Enda Keena. There was dust up in the Garrycastle goal area and when order was restored St Lomans had a player red carded and Garrycastle saw red cards given to two of their players. St Lomans added a point and Garrycastle despite being down to 13 rallied strongly. Alex Gardiner converted a 45 with a fine point. Noel Galvin with a point from play and a free by Alex Gardiner levelled matters by the 47th minute. A fine effort from Noel Galvin put his side ahead but St Lomans responded with a point of their own soon after. Conor Cosgrove fired over a point and the same player added another point by the 55th minute. St Lomans responded with a point and in the final minutes attacked with some purpose. It took a desperate tackle from Kenny Dolan to deny a goal opportunity but St Lomans converted the resultant free to level the scores – as I and many others thought.


This was a spirited performance from the Garrycastle side with had to battle for most of the second period with 13 against 14 players. There were very good performances particularly by Gary Mullery, Anthony Larkin, Noel Galvin, Alex Gardiner, Brian McCormack and Paul O’Donovan.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane O’Connell, Gary Mullery, Stephen McGuire, Ben Kennedy, Sean Carey, Anthony Larkin, Ciaran O’Neill (0-1), Johnny McGuire (0-1), Noel Galvin (0-2), Peadar Mulvihill, Alex Gardiner (0-2, 1f, 1 45mt), Brian McCormack, Conor Cosgrove (0-3, 1f), Paul O’Donovan (1-2) and Enda Keena (0-2).

SUB: Emmet Keena for P O’Donovan (37 min); Paul Mulvihill for Enda Keena (46 min); Kenny Dolan for B McCormack (51 min); Cathal Murray for Peadar Mulvihill (56 min).

Report by Matt Ryan