Under 16 League Championship (Division 3)

posted 1 Jul 2013, 14:00 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 2 Jul 2013, 05:45 ]



Garrycastle secured a valuable brace of points in their first outing in this year’s league championship in Garrycastle last Monday evening. This game also doubled up for the postponed league game between the sides. It was a closer game than the scoreline would suggest and both sides were missing several regulars because of holidays and lads in the Gaeltacht.


The visitors made an excellent start and had a goal in their first attack as they opened up the Garrycastle defence to hit the front in the 2nd minute. However, Garrycastle settled and hit back with a goal of their own a couple of minutes later when Ronan Mulvihill was on the end of a good move to plant the ball in the net. Ballycomoyle hit over two points, both from open play, to lead again but Garrycastle hit back with points from Ross Mulvihill and Ronan Mulvihill to leave it level by the 16th minute.  Ballycomoyle lead again with a good point but a couple of points from Garrycastle’s Shane McEnery and a free by Cathal Mannion put them ahead by the narrowest of margins. The visitors equalised with a pointed free of their own in the final minute of the half to leave it 1-4 each at the break.



Garrycastle began the half in fine form with a goal by Cathal Mannion to push them into the lead after just two minutes. However, Ballycomoyle responded with a point. Enda Moran broke forward to hit over a point. In their next attack Ballycomoyle were unlucky when efforts on goal struck the crossbar and then the post in quick succession and rebounded to safety. Garrycastle broke up field and Ross Mulvihill hit over a point after a penetrating solo run up the centre. The result was effectively decided in the minutes either side of the mid-point of the half when Philip Monaghan and Ronan Mulvihill raised a green flag each for Garrycastle after good approach play. Ballycomoyle had a point from play but were immediately rocked back when Philip Monaghan grabbed yet another goal for the home side. The final minutes saw Ballycomoyle press for some score but they were repelled by good defending by the Garrycastle backline and sharp reflexes from Paul McKiernan in goal. Ross Mulvihill broke forward for yet another goal as time ran out but Ballycomoyle had the last score, a point in the first minute of injury time.


This was a good performance from Garrycastle, particularly in the second period. The scoreline was not kind to the visitors as the sides were closely matched for most of the game.  Paul McKiernan was solid in goal and brought off a number of good stops in the second half. There were good performances from Loic Gartley, Sean Mulvihill, Oisin Langan and Brian Leahy in defence. Cathal Mannion was prominent throughout, and fielded a number of fine high catches as well as getting scores. The forwards all showed well, as was evidenced by the fact that all five contributed scores. Shane McEnery, Ross Mulvihill, Enda Moran combined well. Ronan Mulvihill and Philip Monaghan finished the opportunities that came their way in fine style.


GARRYCASTLE: Paul McKiernan, Loic Gately, Sean Mulvihill, Oisin Langan, Brian Leahy, Conor Macken, Cathal Mannion (1-1, 0-1f), Conor Mulvihill, Shane McEnery (0-1), Ross Mulvihill (1-2), Enda Moran (0-1), Philip Monaghan (2-0) and Ronan Mulvihill (2-1).

SUB: Eoin Mulvihill for C Macken (inj, 9 min).

Report by Matt Ryan