posted 29 Sep 2013, 10:47 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 3 Oct 2013, 10:04 ]

ST LOMANS 2-19     GARRYCASTLE 5-09           


Garrycastle seniors bowed out of this year’s championship in dramatic fashion in Cusack Park, when a goal very deep into added time secured a one point win for St Lomans.


This was cracking game and the lead swung from one side to the other as they battled to gain supremacy. St Lomans took the lead early on from a free but Garrycastle hit the game’s first goal in the 3rd minute when Patrick Mulvihill was set up to blast the ball into the net. Damien Rushe added a point for Garrycastle and Patrick Mulvihill pointed from close range to stretch Garrycastle’s lead. Five pointed frees, all coming from John Helsin pushed St Loman’s ahead by the 14th minute. The same player added tow points from play and put his side 3 points ahead. Patrick Mulvihill replied with a point for Garrycastle. St Lomans had three more points, two of which came from frees, to stretch their lead to 5 points by the 24th minute. The game took a dramatic turn as Gary Dolan converted a penalty and almost immediately James Dolan goaled to put his side ahead. However, in his attempt to score James suffered a head injury and had to retire (initially he was replaced by Michael Monaghan, as a blood sub). Michael added a point on his introduction to leave it 3-4 to 0-11 at the break.


Michael Monaghan was confirmed as a permanent replacement for James Dolan for the restart. St Lomans hit over two points on the resumption but Garrycastle responded with points from Michael Monaghan, who had two, and a 45 from Seanie O’Donoghue. A goal from John Heslin bought St Lomans level in the 39th minute. Eoin Monaghan pointed for Garrycastle but three points for St Lomans, two of which came from frees, pushed them into the lead again. A fourth Garrycastle goal, this coming from Michael Monaghan, put Garrycastle one point up in the 53rd minute. James Duignan pointed from distance for Garrycastle but points from a free and one from play had the sides’ level again.  Another point from St Lomans in injury time pushed them into the lead but a long delivery into the St Lomans goal-area was gathered by Gary Dolan and he was dragged to ground. A penalty was awarded and Gary scored his second goal to put his side two points up. It looked all over and only referee, Brendan Keena, can explain how he managed to add on several more minutes but St Lomans took full advantage and in their last attack a high ball was punched to the Garrycastle net.


This was a cruel result for Garrycastle, who showed all their battling qualities. There were good performances from Tom McHugh, Doron Harte, Seanie O’Donoghue Gary Dolan, Patrick Mulvihill, Damian Rushe and substitute Michael Monaghan. We wish James Dolan a speedy recovery.


GARRYCASTLE: Cathal Mullin, Mark McCallon, John Gaffey, Tom McHugh, Doron Harte, Enda Mulvihill, Gary McCallon, Seanie O’Donoghue (0-1, 1 45mt), Gary Dolan (2-0, 2-0 pen), Matthew Guiheen, James Dolan (1-0), James Duignan (0-1), Eoin Monaghan (0-1), Patrick Mulvihill (1-2) and Damian Rushe (0-1).


SUBS:  Alan Fox for G McCallon (29 min); Michael Monaghan (1-3) for J Dolan (inj, 30 min); Justin Barrett for T McHugh (inj, 36 min); David O’Shaughnessy for  E Mulvihill (46 min); Neil Rattigan for D Rushe (51 min).

Report by Matt Ryan