posted 21 Sep 2013, 12:41 by Matthew Ryan

GARRYCASTLE 1-12            THE DOWNS 1-10


Garrycastle seniors did just about enough to squeeze by The Downs in an entertaining quarterfinal in sunny Rochfordbridge last Saturday evening.


The early exchanges were even with The Downs taking the lead with a pointed free and Dessie Dolan replying for Garrycastle, also from a fee. Another pointed free for The Downs was quickly followed up with an excellent point for The Downs by Luke Loughlin. Dessie Dolan pointed again from a free in the 12th minute. The Downs stretched their lead with another point from a tight angle. Dessie Dolan pointed yet again for Garrycastle, his third free of the match in the 16th minute. A pointed free for The Downs was replied to by Dessie Dolan with yet another free converted from close range. The same player levelled the score with his fifth successful free in the 26th minute. Eoin Monaghan then put his side ahead with a well taken score from play. However, The Downs responded well and hit over two quick-fire points, both from play, to lead as the half time whistler beckoned. The final score of the half came in the second minute of added time for The Downs from a free to leave it 0-8 to 0-6 at the break.


Enda Mulvihill was introduced for the start of the second period and this necessitated a reshuffle of the Garrycastle defence. A pointed free from Dessie Dolan was quickly followed with a point from James Dolan to level matters after only 3 minutes of play. The Downs regained the lead with a pointed fee soon afterwards. In the 11th minute of the half, Garrycastle were awarded a penalty as Eoin Monaghan was fouled in the large square. Gary Dolan blasted the ball to The Downs net to restore his side’s lead.  The sides exchanged pointed frees, the Garrycastle effort by James Duignan who took over the free taking duties as Dessie Dolan had retired through injury. The game was thrown right open in the 54th minute when The Downs opened up the Garrycastle defence and goaled to take a 1 point lead. In the next minute The Downs were awarded a penalty for a foul near the Garrycastle goal but Cathal Mullin made an excellent save to deny them what would surely have been a decisive score with just 5 minutes remaining. Garrycastle took full advantage when James Duignan pointed a free from distance to level matters on 57 minutes. As the game entered its last minute Garrycastle grabbed the lead when an Eoin Monaghan effort for a point was blocked but James Dolan secured possession and pointed. The Downs pressed forward looking for an equaliser but it was Garrycastle who increased their lead in the first minute of added time when substitute, Michael Monaghan, coolly slotted over appoint from close range.


Victory in a close fought game gave Garrycastle a place in the semi-final next weekend but in truth they will have to play much better if they are to have any prospect of advancing to the final. There were good performances from Cathal Mullin, Mark McCallon, Doron Harte and Tom McHugh in defence. Garrycastle struggled to exert influence in midfield. In attack there were good performances from Matthew Guiheen, James Dolan and Dessie Dolan.



GARRYCASTLE: Cathal Mullin, Mark McCallon, John Gaffey, Alan Fox, Doron Harte, Tom McHugh, Gary McCallon, Seanie O’Donoghue, David O’Shaughnessy, Matthew Guiheen, James Dolan (0-2), James Duignan (0-2, 2f), Eoin Monaghan (0-1), Gary Dolan (1-0, 1-0 pen) and Dessie Dolan (0-6, 6f).


SUBS:  Enda Mulvihill for A Fox (Half time); Aidan Browne for D O’Shaughnessy (42 min); Patrick Mulvihill for S O’Donaghue (45 min); Michael Monaghan (0-1) for D Dolan (45 min).

Report by Matt Ryan