posted 9 Nov 2013, 03:27 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 11 Nov 2013, 10:17 ]
GARRYCASTLE 4-9              MILLTOWNPASS 1-15         (after extra time)

Garrycastle just about came out on top in an exciting final in Pairc Chirain last Friday night after the game went to extra time.

Milltownpass made the better start and raced into the lead with points in the 2nd and 5th minutes of the game. They also had a few goal opportunities but a combination of good goalkeeping by the Garrycastle net-minder, Shane O’Connell, and his full back line prevented a green flag being raised. Gradually Garrycastle got a foothold in the match and Padraig Cosgrove pointed in the 10th minute to get his side off the mark. In Garrycastle’s next attack Michael Monaghan pointed a free after a foul on Enda Keena. Garrycastle then hit the front when Johnny McGuire pointed after he was found with a clever pass by Michael Monaghan. Milltownpass responded with a pointed free to level matters. Shane O’Connell had to come to his side’s rescue with a couple of good saves and Michael Monaghan pointed from a close range free in the 19th minute to put Garrycastle ahead again. In his first contribution as a substitute, Alan Daly was set clear on goal but was fouled close in and Pat Fox rightly awarded a penalty to Garrycastle. Alan dusted himself down to slot home a goal to stretch his side’s lead. Their lead was further increased when Peadar Mulvihill pointed in the 24th minute. Milltownpass responded well to these setbacks and rattled off three unanswered points before the break to leave the score 1-5 to 0-6 at half time.

The attendance witnessed an incredible start to the second half, Garrycastle added to their lead when Alan Daly crashed an unstoppable shot to the Milltown net with under two minutes played. From the kick-out Garrycastle attacked again and an effort from Paul Gunning deceived the Milltownpass net-minder and dropped into the net to put Garrycastle 8 points to the good. Milltownpass responded with points in the 39th and 43rd minutes to narrow the gap. However, the Garrycastle cause was dealt a significant blow a minute later when Robbie Fox was shown a red card following a clash with an opponent. Milltownpass exerted sever pressure on the Garrycastle defence, which did well to restrict them to points from distance, but as the clock moved on Milltownpass reduced the lead further with 3 good points. A goal in the 51st minute for Milltownpass brought the sides level. Both sides had opportunities to get a winner in normal time but the defences held out and the game finished level on a scoreline of 3-5 to 1-11. So two periods of 10 minutes beckoned for both sides.

Garrycastle were restored to a full complement for extra time with the introduction of Paul Mulvihill to their attack. It was Milltownpass who registered the first score, a point in the first minute of added time. Two quick fire points from Alan Daly pushed Garrycastle into the lead but Milltownpass equalised with a pointed free to leave the sides level at the extra time break.

A fine point from Neil Rattigan pushed Garrycastle ahead again in the 71st minute. The game’s defining score came in Garrycastle’s next attack. Good approach play put Alan Daly in on goal; his effort was well saved by the Milltownpass net-minder. However, Alan reacted quickly and managed to fire the loose ball past the goalkeeper to put his side four points up with just 7 minutes remaining. To their credit Milltownpass fought back strongly and points in the 73rd and 75th minutes narrowed the gap to just two points. However, it was Garrycastle who got the next score, a point from a free by Michael Monaghan to stretch the lead to a goal with just a couple of minutes remaining. Garrycastle used all their experience in the final minutes and kept possession to the frustration of their opponents. Garrycastle winners then on a scoreline of 4-9 to 1-15 at the final whistle.


So Garrycastle captured their second Junior “B” title after extra time, just as they had done in 2010 against Ballynacargy. Great praise is due to both sides for an exciting game given the heavy underfoot conditions. While this win was a team effort, Garrycastle were particularly well served by the displays of Shane O’Connell, Sean Cary, Anthony Larkin, Gary Mullery, Noel Galvin, Michael Monaghan, Padraig Cosgrove and “super-sub” Alan Daly.


Westmeath County Board Chairman, Sean Sheridan, presented the Junior B trophy to Garrycastle captain, Peadar Mulvihill, after the game and complimented both sides and Referee, Pat Fox on a fine game. He also thanked Athlone GAA for staging the final and compliments the club on its presentation.

GARRYCASTLE: Shane O’Connell, Sean Carey, Anthony Larkin, Gary Mullery, Emmet Keena, Johnny McGuire (0-1), Ronan Donoghue, Robbie Fox, Neil Rattigan (0-1), Peadar Mulvihill [capt (0-1)], Noel Galvin, Michael Monaghan (0-3, 3f), Paul Ginning (1-0), Padraig Cosgrove (0-1) and Enda Keena.

SUBS: Alan Daly (3-2, 1-0 pen) for J McGuire (22 min, 3-2); Mark Curley for Enda Keena (47 min); J McGuire for N Rattigan (52 min); Colman Gantley for Peadar Mulvihill (56 min).

SUB - Extra Time: Paul Mulvihill

SUBS not used: Frank Doolan, Stephen McGuire, Mark Fox.

Report by Matt Ryan