posted 27 Aug 2013, 14:52 by Matthew Ryan   [ updated 28 Aug 2013, 05:54 ]

GARRYCASTLE 3-9              ST MALACHYS 0-16


Garrycastle second side picked up a brace of valuable points in this entertaining Division 2 encounter played in ideal conditions in Garrycastle. The home side could have made the perfect start as they were awarded a penalty in the very first minute for a foot block but unfortunately Alan Daly saw his shot flash wide of the left hand post. St Malachys did register their first point in the 3rd minute and from the resultant kick out won possession and pointed again to double their lead. However, Garrycastle responded in style and a good move released Noel Galvin who found the net from close range. The same player increased his side’s lead shortly after with a well taken point. The visitors then had a good spell and struck over three points, all from play, to take the lead. However, Garrycastle opened up the visitor’s defence again and James Duignan was on hand to goal after the St Malachys goalkeeper had parried the initial effort on goal. Noel Galvin added a point soon after to add to the Garrycastle lead. Another spell of dominance from St Malachys yielded four points, three of which came from open play and the other from a free, to put them ahead yet again.  However, Garrycastle were not finished and a good build up from defence saw Matthew Guiheen pounce to goal just before the break and leave it 3-2 to 0-9 in his side’s favour.


The home side had the first score on the resumption when James Duignan pointed from close range, the match was end to end with both sides trading scores. A Peadar Mulvihill point and a free from Alan Daly kept Garrycastle ahead but St Malachys responded with a string of good points to leave just a point between the sides after 47 minutes. An equaliser arrived in the 50th minute, a real gem of a point from distance. Garrycastle upped their efforts again and points from Alan Fox and Sean Brennan put them two points to the good again with just 6 minutes of normal time left. St Malachys were determined not to yield and hit over two points to level matter again with just a minute remaining. However, it was Garrycastle who showed the greater desire in the couple of minutes of injury time played by Referee, Declan Nugent. A pointed free from James Duignan was added to with a fine point from Eoin Monaghan to ensure that Garrycastle secured a much need win.


This was a lively and entertaining game and both sides are to be commended for the entertainment they provided over the hour. There were some good performances from Garrycastle. Johnny McGuire, who was assured in what he did in an unaccustomed role between the sticks. John O’Shaughnessy and Sean Brennan defended well throughout. Matthew Guiheen was busy and effective throughout and covered every blade of grass. Alan Daly and Noel Galvin were dangerous in attack and Damien Rushe was playing an effective role in support of his fellow attackers.


GARRYCASTLE: Johnny McGuire, Gary Mullery, John O’Shaughnessy, Alan Fox (0-1), Anthony Larkin, Sean Brennan (0-1), Gary McCallon, Aidan Browne, Matthew Guiheen (1-0), Neil Rattigan, Peadar Mulvihill (0-1), James Duignan (1-2, 0-1f), Alan Daly (0-1, 1f), Noel Galvin (1-2) and Damien Rushe.

SUBS: Jack Donoghue for G McCallon (half-time); Justin Barrett for A Browne (half-time); Eoin Monaghan (0-1) for P Mulvihill (50 min); Paul Gunning for N Rattigan (55 min).

Report by Matt Ryan