Club History‎ > ‎Archives‎ > ‎2012‎ > ‎Match Reports‎ > ‎

Westmeath Senior Football Final 2012

posted 21 Oct 2012, 13:15 by Unknown user   [ updated 23 Oct 2012, 12:32 ]
October 21, 2012 


For the second year running Garrycastle and Mullingar Shamrocks played out a draw in the senior football final. The replay will be in Cusack Park next Sunday at 2.30pm.

Mullingar Shamrocks had the first score, a point from Donal O’Donoghue in the 4th minute. Points, both of which were from play, by James Dolan pushed Garrycastle into the lead by the 6th minute. A point from Paul Dillon was followed by a point by Conor Cosgrove from a 45. Shamrocks responded with a point in the 16th minute. Conor Cosgrove pointed a close range free and in the next minute there was a goal opportunity for both sides. Shamrocks hit the Garrycastle upright and when the ball was cleared, Garrycastle set up an attack which saw Dessie Dolan first a pass to his cousin James who flicked the ball to the net in the 21st minute. Conor Cosgrove added yet another point from a free. Shamrocks responded with a point also from a free and then had a goal to leave just 3 points between the sides as the half time break neared. Conor Cosgrove grabbed a goal for his side when a high ball into the goalmouth was not cleared but Shamrocks responded to this setback with a point in the 29th minute. There was enough time for Enda Mulvihill to break forward from centre back and a scoring opportunity appeared to go but he regained possession and fisted a point in the 1st minute of added time. The half time score 2-7 to 1-4 in Garrycastle’s favour.

Alan Fox replaced his brother Robbie at half time. Garrycastle’s cause was given a significant boost within 30 seconds of the restart when a pass from Dessie Dolan led to a goalmouth scramble and Conor Cosgrove was on hand to score his second and Garrycastle’s third goal of the game. Shamrocks responded with a pointed free and their cause was given a lift with a goal in the 33rd minute. James Dolan had his third point of the game in reply but Shamrocks in turn responded with a point from play. A further point by Conor Cosgrove from a free put Garrycastle 3-9 to 2-6 ahead with 18 minutes remaining. The champion failed to register any more scores during this period, including some 2 minutes of added time. Shamrocks had a third goal in the 46th minute when Micheal Curley struck a powerful shot past Sean Brennan. It was game on and two further points came in quick succession to leave the margin down to a point with about 12 minutes of play left. Shamrocks hit over the equaliser in the 56th minute. Both sides had opportunities to lead, but it was Shamrocks who had the better chances and will be disappointed not to have converted at least one of them. Sean Carroll’s whistle after two minutes of added time signalled a draw yet again between the sides.

Mixed emotions for Garrycastle, Disappointment at not finishing out the game when holding a 9 point lead, but relief that some of the chances for Shamrocks at the end were not on target. So back to Cusack Park next Sunday and Garrycastle will hope that they can repeat their replay win of 2011 this year.

Best for Garrycastle were John Gaffey, Enda Mulvihill, Aidan Browne, Patrick Mulvihill, Conor Cosgrove and James Dolan. Dessie Dolan was clearly carrying an injury but was very influential during his time on the pitch.

GARRYCASTLE: Sean Brennan, Mark McCallon, John Gaffey, Gary McCallon, Robbie Fox, Enda Mulvihill (0-1), Doron Harte, Justin Barrett, Aidan Browne, Paul Dillon (0-1), Patrick Mulvihill (Capt), Dessie Dolan, Conor Cosgrove (2-4, 0-1 45m, 0-3f), James Duignan and James Dolan (1-3).
SUBS: Alan Fox for R Fox (Half time); Eoin Monaghan for D Dolan (38 min); Matthew Guiheen for D Duignan (41 min); Seanie O’Donoghue for P Dillon (48 min) and David O’Shaughnessy for J Barrett (58 min).

(Originally published on by Matt Ryan)