Club History‎ > ‎Archives‎ > ‎2012‎ > ‎Match Reports‎ > ‎

Intermediate Football Championship

posted 30 Sep 2012, 06:41 by Unknown user   [ updated 30 Sep 2012, 06:42 ]

20 June 2012 


Garrycastle intermediate side suffered a heavy defeat in their second game in this year’s championship in Tubberclair last Wednesday night. Short of many regulars, it was always going to be tough to get anything against a strong, fit and determined Tang side.

Tang made a blistering start and rattled off six points, all from play, in the opening six minutes. It was not until the 8th minute that Garrycastle got off the mark with a well taken point from Conor Molloy. Tang had a point in reply but Noel Galvin responded with his side’s second point after 12 minutes. A point for Tang was replied to by one from a free by Alan Daly. A goal for Garrycastle was scored in the 16th minute as Paul Donovan collected a fine pass and drilled the ball to the net. Tang added yet another point but a pointed free from Noel Galvin reduced the gap. Tang scored a point from play and Alan Daly converted a close range fee to bring the half to a close on a scoreline of 0-10 to 1-5 in favour of Tang.

Alan Daly had the first chance on the resumption of play but his effort for goal was blocked and he hit the rebound over the bar to reduce the gap to just a point. However, that was as good as it got for the boys in green and red as Tang took complete control and rattled off a succession of points to build up a substantial lead. Garrycastle were reduced to 14 players mid way through the half, when Noel Galvin was shown a second yellow card – followed by the red. Tang continued to dominate possession and build up the lead. Alan Daly had a point in the closing minute of the game but Tang got through for a goal in the first minute of added time and leave the final score 1-21 to 1-7.

Garrycastle will be very disappointed with the performance and result. However, this was a very young side on display and they never gave up trying to play. Marl Keenan was solid in goal and could do little about the goal conceded at the end. Donovan Hermbusche and Gary Mullery impressed in defence. The forwards saw little of the ball but Alan Daly was dangerous whenever he had possession.

GARRYCASTLE: Mark Keenan, Gary Mullery, Donovan Hermbusche, Anthony Duignan, Brian Carty, Johnny McGuire, Anthony Larkin, Noel Galvin (0-2, 1f), Conor Molloy (0-1), Barry Ruane, Peadar Mulvihill, Padraig Cosgrove, Paul Mulvihill, Alan Daly (0-4, 2f) and Paul Donovan (1-0).
SUBS: Terry Rushe for B Carty (36 min); Michael Monaghan for P Cosgrove (42 min); John Murphy for C Molloy (42 min); Michael Dunning for P Donovan (53 min) and Pascal Dillon for Paul Mulvihill (54 min).

(Originally published on by Matt Ryan)