Club History‎ > ‎Archives‎ > ‎2012‎ > ‎Match Reports‎ > ‎

Fé 16 Football League Championships (Division 2)

posted 30 Sep 2012, 07:03 by Unknown user   [ updated 30 Sep 2012, 07:04 ]

13 September 2012 

Garrycastle 3-5  St. Lomas 1-5 

Garrycastle had a deserved win over St. Lomans, Mullingar in the quarter finals of this years Division 2 under-16 club football championship in Garrycastle on Thursday evening. A strong swirling wind and intermittent rain made for difficult conditions for playing football, and this was reflected in a low-scoring game. Playing with the wind, St. Lomans started the stronger, and had already clocked up 4 wides, including one from a 45-meter free, before Garrycastle could launch their first attack, with Eric Kearney shooting wide after some good interplay with Cathal Mannion. Further St. Lomans pressure finally yielded some results, with two points on the board sandwiching another good Garrycastle effort from Kenny Dolan which drifted wide of the posts. 

As the half progressed, Garrycastle were starting to control the game in midfield, with an exhibition of high catching from Eric, and finally got their reward with a point from Cian Hayden, played in by Mark Duffy from a Kenny Dolan free. An excellent goal from Mark Duffy put Garrycastle into the lead, and as the half came to conclusion, a strong run from Eric Kearney was rewarded with another goal to leave Garrycastle leading at the break on a score line of 2-1 to 0-2.

As the second half began, Garrycastle, now playing with the wind, pushed hard and quickly added to their total with another goal from Eric, and a point from Cathal. As the Garrycastle shooting suffered in the swirling wind, it was St. Lomans who added a point, quickly cancelled by an excellent score from the right hand corner by Cathal. St. Lomans now had perhaps their best patch in the second half, and tapped over two quick points, before being awarded a penalty, after Eoin Slevin was adjudged to have fouled the inrushing St. Lomans player. The penalty was duly scored, to leave Garrycastle ahead by 5 points with 8 minutes to go. More good interplay on the half-forward line teed up a shooting opportunity for Evan Dalton, and he duly tipped over a point to extend the Garrycastle lead.

As the game came to a close, a scuffle on the sideline between a number of players from both teams following a foul on Cathal, resulted in one player from each team being sent to the line. Following a final Garrycastle attack, the referee blew for full time, and Garrycastle march on to the semi-finals on a score line of 3-5 to 1-5. Overall this was a good win, with many excellent performances all around the field. Garrycastle were the stronger team on the evening, and adapted much better to the poor conditions.

Team: Eoin Slevin, Eric McCormack, Ben Kennedy, Adam Keena, Sean Kilgarriff, Frank Farrell, Bill Kelly, Cian Hayden (0-1), Eric Kearney (2-1), Mark Duffy (1-0), Evan Dalton (0-1), Darragh McCormack, Cathal Mannion (0-1), Liam Leahy, Kenneth Dolan (0-1).

Subs: Eoin Duignan for Liam (55 mins.), Brian Leahy for Darragh (56 mins.), Shane McEnery (inj.)