Club History‎ > ‎Archives‎ > ‎2012‎ > ‎Match Reports‎ > ‎

All County Football League (Division 7A)

posted 30 Sep 2012, 06:47 by Unknown user   [ updated 30 Sep 2012, 06:47 ]

12 July 2012 


Garrycastle completed their division 7A league fixtures with a win over Milltown in Garrycastle last Thursday evening. Needing a win to stay in contention, Garrycastle made a bright start and had established a 3 point lead within the first seven minutes, courtesy of a pointed free by Robbie Shine, and points from play by Michael Kelly and Robbie Shine. However, Milltown responded in style and points in the 9th and 10th minutes reduced the gap to just a point. The visitors grabbed the lead in the 12th minute as a well constructed move opened up the Garrycastle defence. Garrycastle’s goalkeeper, Barry Ruane, did manage to get finger tips to the shot on goal but the power of it was enough for the ball to go over the line. Garrycastle responded to this setback with a point from Paul Mulvihill. Milltown registered a point, but Garrycastle responded with points from a free by Robbie Shine and by Peadar Mulvihill from play. A second Milltown goal came next as a penetrating run again opened up the Garrycastle defence and was finished to the net. Milltown stretched the lead to four with a point in the 27th minute. Garrycastle pressed forward looking for a score before the break and were rewarded with a pointed free from Robbie Shine in injury time to leave the score at 2-4 to 0-7 in favour of the visitors.

Garrycastle needed to step it up considerably in the second half if they were to keep their league title hopes alive. Full back, Sean Brennan, set the tone for this side with a surging run from defence and a cool finish for a point in the very first minute of the half. Paul Mulvihill chipped in with two well taken points and Garrycastle had the lead in the 39th minute as Robbie Shine converted a free. A goal from substitute, Robbie Fox, scored shortly after his introduction, pushed Garrycastle further ahead and this was followed by another pointed free from Robbie Shine. A goal by John McGowan, which was followed up with a goal from another substitute, Conor Molloy a minute later, put their aside into a commanding lead by the mid point of the second half. Conor Molloy had a point and a second goal from John McGowan left clear daylight between the sides with about 10 minutes remaining. Milltown had their first score of the second period in the 52nd minute but two quick-fire points from Robbie Fox stretched the lead further. To their credit, Milltown did not give up and pressed forward in numbers. They were rewarded for their efforts with three points from play in the final moments. Seamus McCormack’s whistle signalled the end on a scoreline of 4-15 to 2-8 in Garrycastle’s favour.

A game of two halves for Garrycastle, they had plenty of possession in the first but found scores hard to come by. In the second period they played some lovely football and were rewarded with many excellent scores. In defence there were strong performances from Sean Brennan, Jack Donoghue and Michael Kelly. Noel Galvin and Robbie Shine gave the home side dominance of the midfield, with Robbie flawless from placed balls. Peadar Mulvihill, John McGowan and substitutes Conor Molloy and Robbie Fox were most prominent in attack.

GARRYCASTLE: Barry Ruane, Gary Mullery, Sean Brennan (0-1), Jack Donoghue, Frank Doolan, Anthony Larkin, Michael Kelly (0-1), Noel Galvin, Robbie Shine (0-6, 5f), Brian Carty, Peadar Mulvihill, (0-1), John McGowan (2-0), Padraig Cosgrove, Paul Donovan and Paul Mulvihill (0-3).
SUBS: Conor Molloy (1-1) for P Donovan (36 min); Robbie Fox (1-2) for B Carty (39 min); Finbar Murray for P Cosgrove (47 min) and Matthew Guiheen for A Larkin (49 min).

(Originally published on by Matt Ryan)