Club History‎ > ‎Archives‎ > ‎2012‎ > ‎Match Reports‎ > ‎

All County Football League (Division 7A)

posted 30 Sep 2012, 06:33 by Unknown user   [ updated 30 Sep 2012, 06:33 ]

26 April 2012


Garrycastle’s junior side made it two wins out of two in the league when they travelled to Rochfordbridge to take on St Marys last Thursday evening.

Playing with the aid of a strong breeze, the home side made a bright start and scored a point from their very first attack. Garrycastle hit back with a point from midfielder, Johnny McGuire. However, Garrycastle were rocked back straight away when a short kick-out by the Garrycastle’s Michael Fagan led to a passage of play where possession was lost by the defenders and the ball was dispatched to the net. John McGowan responded with a good point from play for the visitors. Pascal Dillon was unlucky when his powerfully struck shot hit the crossbar and rebounded to safety. A point for St Marys was replied to with one form Conor Molloy from play as the first half approached the mid point. However, from there to the half time break, St Marys dominated the play and reeled off a succession of points, two from play and two from frees, to lead on a scoreline of 1-6 to m0-3 at the break.

The second half started no better for Garrycastle, as St Marys tacked on a point from open play to increase their lead to 7 points. However, this was to be the catalyst for the visitors to up their game. They took control in the midfield and the forwards began to cause all sorts of problems for the St Marys defence. A point from Johnny McGuire was quickly added to with a goal from Conor Molloy, who just got his fist to the ball before the St Marys goalkeeper could intercept a pass to him and the ball trickled into the unguarded net. The same play then added a point to narrow the gap to just 2 points with about 20 minutes remaining. Garrycastle continued to press forward and points from substitutes, Paul Donovan and Paul Mulvihill, to level matters by the 45th minute. A magnificent point from another substitute, Michael Kelly, from all of 45 meters on the left wing, put his side ahead for the first time in the game after 48 minutes. Further points from Robbie Shine and Paul Donovan put Garrycastle 3 points up with just 5 minutes remaining. To their credit St Marys responded in determined fashion but could not break down the Garrycastle defence. They had a goal opportunity near the end but were foiled by a save from Michael Fagan and the follow-up shot was blocked by Sean Brennan. St Marys did manage a point in the final minute but Garrycastel ran out winners on a scoreline of 1-10 to1-8.

This was a reasonable performance from Garrycastle, where they struggled for long period in the first half but dominated in the second. There were some good individual performances from Sean Brennan, Peadar Mulvihill who moved to wing back with the injury to Michael Dunning, John McGowan and Conor Molloy. All three substitutes made a telling contribution in addition to their scores.

GARRYCASTLE: Michael Fagan, Stephen McGuire, Sean Brennan, Finbarr Murray, Frank Doolan, Anthony Larkin, Michael Dunning, Noel Galvin, Johnny McGuire (0-2), Brain Ganley, Robbie Shine (0-1), Peadar Mulvihill, John McGowan (0-1), Conor Molloy (1-2) and Pascal Dillon.
SUBS: Michael Kelly (0-1) for M Dunning (inj, 21 min); Paul Donovan (0-2) for P Dillon (35 min); Paul Mulvihill (0-1) for B Ganley (41 min).

(Originally published on by Matt Ryan)